cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM releases new Medium Duty Truck

ronfisherman
New Silverado Medium Duty Truck for 2019
Hope to see some Super C's built on this chassis in the future.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD
19 REPLIES 19

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
The chassis, for RV use, has the same shortfall as the current F-series and Ram MDT cab-chassis.... A short (height) cab. Compared to the E-series, and the Express cab used on the former Topkick/Kodiak, the pickup cabs really limit access to the back, and completely eliminate forward visibility for anyone riding in the house.

I have owned both a couple e450s and now a f550 Class c and while what you say is true in practice it makes very little difference. I would trade it for the Diesel engine and generator bigger fuel tank and much more power and better ride
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I guess niether mfg offers a really strong RV service network. It is amusing to read comments dissing the Mercedes chassis for lack of service centers!
Unlike your experience, Chevy doesnโ€™t even provide a dealer list. Even the regional service rep couldnโ€™t tell me where to take it. I found the one we use by asking local GM dealer.
Gary

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:
As an owner of an Express 4500 based Class C, one of the real frustrations of ownership is warranty or Chevy specific service. Despite popular belief, it is very difficult to find a Chevy dealer that will service an RV...at least in our area.
For us in Raleigh, we have probably a dozen dealerships within 10 miles. However, the closest dealer that will take in an RV is 108 miles from us! And, the only reason he will take it, is they used to also sell RVs!
As such, our next unit will be based on a Ford.

Gary

If you think Ford locations are any better, think again.

Example, I'm in the Portland, OR metro area. The dealer that works on the F-53 is about 20 miles away, but I have a strong distaste for them. They will be a place of last resort for me. According to Ford my next choice is in the Seattle metro area about 170 mile trip. I recall them saying there was one south of here about 250 miles. Somehow they overlooked the one about 90 miles from me that another forum member uses. Go figure.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to be an RV Builder, I'd be reluctant to build on a Chevy/GMC/Workhorse platform. I happen to believe the Ford chassis is more rugged and long lasting but that's not why. It's because GM hasn't demonstrated ongoing commitment. I could be ready to put coach bodies on chassis I found I couldn't get. There are enough Chevies out there, that parts availability for owner repairs doesn't concern me.

Ford chassis owners experience problems with service availability also, but not to the degree you describe. Part of it is that they always want to get the vehicle "inside" and just can't seem to deal with the idea of working outside.

Diesel Pusher owners (Super C's are probably in this group) seem to be able to get service where similar powertrains are serviced. But some shops charge a higher hourly rate to work RV's than trucks with similar systems. Is it restricted access to the engine compartment or...

...I believe there's another factor in play. As a group, we have sizeable investment in our coaches. We are very proud of them, and keep them immaculately neat and clean. In many cases they ARE our home, and in the rest, a second home. I realize there have been horror stories of shops using RV's there for work, even throwing frat parties in them. That's not where I'm going. I just think that again as a group, RVers might represent a customer group they'd just as soon not have to deal with. If they have plenty of work, our business might not be worth what they consider to be potential headaches.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
As an owner of an Express 4500 based Class C, one of the real frustrations of ownership is warranty or Chevy specific service. Despite popular belief, it is very difficult to find a Chevy dealer that will service an RV...at least in our area.
For us in Raleigh, we have probably a dozen dealerships within 10 miles. However, the closest dealer that will take in an RV is 108 miles from us! And, the only reason he will take it, is they used to also sell RVs!
As such, our next unit will be based on a Ford.

Gary

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

Are you saying that the floor to ceiling height in the cab of the current (Ford & Chevy) 4 series cutaway vans used for motorhomes is taller than the floor to ceiling height in the cab of 4 series pickups?

That's correct. The vans have a taller cab, but also the pickup-cab-chassis platforms have a kicked up frame behind the cab (Ford hides the kick-up under the rear of the cab, the Ram is very visible). This kick-up makes the floor of the "house" even higher. I have not idea of the new GM platform has this kick-up. My suspicion is not, due to the shared Navistar platform. This might help a little, but it still won't match the access and visibility of the Topkick/Kodiak.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
General Motors has been in and out of this market segment so many times that I would be quite wary of applying for a dealer franchise. I certainly would not handle the line exclusively, might take it on if it represented a small fraction of my sales volume.

I have given inputs on other forums about it. It seems rather light( despite the 6.6 Duramax) compared to other chassis in the US market.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
It's a noteworthy development, for sure.

I personally think the Chevy LCF (low cab-forward) truck line might be more suitable for motorhome conversion. I have not studied the question in any great detail, however.

That is actually an Isuzu Light Truck in Australia. You can get a Petrol( Gas engine) with them in the US but not outside. NA . Normally have a 5.2 Diesel

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
General Motors has been in and out of this market segment so many times that I would be quite wary of applying for a dealer franchise. I certainly would not handle the line exclusively, might take it on if it represented a small fraction of my sales volume.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
The chassis, for RV use, has the same shortfall as the current F-series and Ram MDT cab-chassis.... A short (height) cab. Compared to the E-series, and the Express cab used on the former Topkick/Kodiak, the pickup cabs really limit access to the back, and completely eliminate forward visibility for anyone riding in the house.

Great inputs Bryan. I've never given any thought to that.

Are you saying that the floor to ceiling height in the cab of the current (Ford & Chevy) 4 series cutaway vans used for motorhomes is taller than the floor to ceiling height in the cab of 4 series pickups?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
garysol1 wrote:
j-d wrote:
RAM had it made with Cummins, but transmissions were iffy till they offered the Aisin. Meanwhile Them D/A's Kep' Rollin' On.

Actually not exactly. RAM started offering the 68rfe behind the 6.7 way before the Aisin and it has proven to be a great trouble free transmission lasting for hundreds of thousands of miles.

I mentioned the RAM transmission because of remarks by a professional transmission builder on another forum:

"...this transmission has a big issue with the input drum stripping out in the drum... have experienced many stripped out drums in the diesel... just too much torque for the steel shaft and aluminum drum..."

As always, Your Mileage May Vary...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like Navistar will be into this market with Chevrolet. My RV was built on a Workhorse Chassis and it has some upgrades in the suspension, that were not on the non Workhorse ones of the same vintage,I hope that Navistar will follow suit.

They announced last year that they will be building the Cut Away for the RV and other markets so they may also look into the larger chassis for them.

The Class4/5 will get The Duramax engine so it may be a possibility.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's see if the new GM 4500 HD cutaway chassis can/will somehow be used by mainline Class C builders to put to rest the good old Ford E450 and GM 4500 cutaway van chassis that have been so popular down through the years for up to around 31-32 foot maximum lengths.

There is a 14,500 lb. GVWR chassis nitch that really needs to be filled anew for the North American classic Class C market.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C