Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weekend Warrior Frame Fix Photo?

rockandride6
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there!

Does anyone have a photo of the recommended fix for the Weekend Warrior frame issue? I am referring to the weak frame on 2002-2006 WWs that could result in a bent frame/tongue. I have a friend who owns a welding business willing to help out but I need to get a better idea on the proper fix.

I've been digging through the forums here but the vast majority of photos seem to be from PhotoBucket before they decided to take down all photos unless you pay them...

Thanks for your time!
Chris
6 REPLIES 6

Crash02
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is an 06 fk2100 and did not qualify for the recall/fix because of the heavier gauge steel tongue... Check all your cross beams under the floor. 3 beams were barely hanging on by the screws that went through the plywood. I positioned them back to where they were/broke and welded them up(6 places).
I did not realize just how thin the frame and other supports were until last weekend when i was under the trailer, Although it is fixed, I need to go back under to gusset and add support to where I can.
I believe I still have the official "Fix" and will post it here when I find it.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
The fix was to weld 2x2 under the existing tongue rails. The fix requires cutting some of the metal under the rail where it goes under the box.

The original frame was 1/8", the fix was with 3/16" tubing

Some had the thinner steel, others had the heavier gauge steel. Mine has the heavier steel. The prescribed fix in the official recall letter was to add 2x2 under the rails if they were of the thinner steel.

I bought mine in 2006 and it did not qualify for the recall because of having the heavier steel. All these years later I am still using it without trouble.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
The fix was to weld 2x2 under the existing tongue rails. The fix requires cutting some of the metal under the rail where it goes under the box.

The original frame was 1/8"

Add to that "lightening holes" throughout the frame that's bordering on criminal, I guess they thought the waffling/corrugating of the vertical web would add sufficient stiffness; they thought wrong.

Had naive friend buy one with a bent front A frame and he brought it out to a ride like that! I asked him if he got a good deal on the trailer due to needing repairs, he had no idea something was wrong; how could you miss it? The batteries were almost touching the front of the coach!

Stupid is as stupid does.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

The original frame was 1/8", the fix was with 3/16" tubing
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dedmiston
Here's a crude drawing that I made almost 10 years ago.

It's been a long time and I don't completely remember the details, but I think that on mine they cut the front part of the frame off where it began to angle in (the entire capital A in this drawing) and replaced it with a box shape to better support the front end of the trailer.

In this drawing, the red line in the capital A on the tongue is the front sleeper wall. The two sides (and cargo area) were unsupported. The fix made it so that the entire outline of the walls was supported by that red box area.

It's a shame that all those Photobucket pics are gone. I think some of them showed a series of outrigger gussets that were welded underneath.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230