Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Icon to Indicate Read or Not Read
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Posting Help and Support

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Posting Help and Support

> Icon to Indicate Read or Not Read

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
NCC-1701

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but the little Icons to the left of a thread that are supposed to show if I've read the thread or if there are any new posts in the thread, don't seem to be correct most of the time. I can just read an entire thread, or any new items in one, and when I come back out, the icon indicates I haven't read it. On the other hand, threads I've never read have an icon indicating I've read it all.

Anyone else experience this? I'm on numerous other forums and have never had this issue before. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong that is "misleading" how the program interprets my activity and shows the icon.

"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you clear or block all cookies, that function wont work.
OTOH, that function doesn't seem to work very good for me either. It's really hit and miss.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There seems to be a time element to it. I can read threads and even reload the main page and it still shows unread. Other times if I reload the page without ever reading anything it marks most of them read.

The same thing happens with the “first unread post.” It keeps taking me back several posts before the ones I’ve read. Eventually it catches up.

NCC-1701

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/18 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, thanks for the replies....sounds like I'm not alone as those are EXACTLY the same things I'm seeing.

"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/18 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The forum software has never marked posts (or topics) as read.

The forum uses New posts [image] and No new posts icons [image] to indicate whether or not a new post as been made since your last visit. (More about "last visit" below.)

In March 2005, the forum software added two links labeled Mark topics in all forums as read. (One is on the Open Roads Forum index page and one is on you My Forums page.) Neither of them actually does that. Clicking on either of those links changes all of the New posts icons to No new posts icons.

"Last visited" really is looking at forum inactivity. The length of inactivity is a preference setting. (Reset last visit option in the General Preferences section.)

Example: I log in and see a lot of New posts icons, but I'm distracted and have to leave my computer for a period of time. If my Reset last visit option is set for 30 minutes and I'm gone longer than that, most, if not all, of the New posts icons will have changed to No new posts, as soon as I refresh the page of move to another page. Yet, I haven't read any of them.

Tom

NCC-1701

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/18 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom, thanks for that explanation. Now what I see makes sense...at least why it is what it is. I guess since every other forum I've ever been on tracks what individual posts have been read, I just made an assumption I should not have.

I would say that I find the "read" or "unread" method of tracking a lot more useful.

Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Posting Help and Support

> Icon to Indicate Read or Not Read
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Posting Help and Support

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS