cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utah Trip from Southern CA

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK I have started to plan out a trip for me and 2 other friends to the Parks in Utah. # class A's in total)

I have pulled a plan from a person who came from the East, but I have not seen a trip planned from anyone coming from CA.

I started planning and got to Vegas, then Cedar city, from there i'm not to sure which way is best.

So if someone has already done this trip and can give me the details on RV parks and day trips, etc it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
14 REPLIES 14

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
mburtis wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
How long do you have? I spent 6 weeks at the National parks in Utah last year. You can start with the ones in the Southern area then move North for Arches, Canyon Lands etc. I-15 till you split off on I-70 and to 191 to Moab.
Bill

Bill, I am thinking of doing the same next year. Thinking of hitting GC last week in March or April 1 and then tackle the big 5. For general planning thinking of 1 week at each park. what route is best(40' MH) and what do you think about that time of year?
Mark

I have never done that route. The last time was down I-15 from Yellowstone.
Some have talked about using 89 to cutover to Zion. I haven't gone that way so I don't know.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

mburtis
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
How long do you have? I spent 6 weeks at the National parks in Utah last year. You can start with the ones in the Southern area then move North for Arches, Canyon Lands etc. I-15 till you split off on I-70 and to 191 to Moab.
Bill

Bill, I am thinking of doing the same next year. Thinking of hitting GC last week in March or April 1 and then tackle the big 5. For general planning thinking of 1 week at each park. what route is best(40' MH) and what do you think about that time of year?
Mark

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busskipper, thanks for the MAP, I read the feedback, but failed to click on the map link until today, that is awesome !
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately not retired. So we have to squeeze as much into 1 week as we can. But we are close enough to make other trips in the future.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would be a mistake to travel to that remote country and only hang out in Nps and RV parks. Spend a couple of nights out there with the quiet and the coyotes.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! That's an ambitious trip for 8 days. Are you retired? If so, definitely plan a LOT more time. You're only going to have a half a day to one day at these amazing parks. Have a good one!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great feedback thanks.

I and 2 other RV's are going from 5/12 to 5/20 which is round trip.

here are my stops at various RV parks.

5/12/18 San Clemente Las Vegas NV
"Las Vegas Motorcoach Resort
8175 Arville St
Las Vegas, NV 89139
Toll-free: 866-897-9300"

5/13/18 Las Vegas NV Hurricane UT
"WillowWind RV Park
80 S 1150 W
Hurricane, Utah 84737
Phone: (435) 635-4154"

5/14/18
5/15/18 Hurricane UT Monticello, UT
"Old West RV Park - 348 S Main St
Monticello, UT 84535
(435) 459-1327 confrimed by Jim"

5/16/18 Arches national park
5/17/18 Monticello, UT Bluff, UT
"Coral Sands RV Park
94 S 6th W
Bluff, Utah 84512
Phone: (435) 672-2232"

5/18/18 Monument Valley
Bluff, UT Sedona, AZ
"Distant Drums RV Resort
583 West Middle Verde Road
Camp Verde, AZ 86322 Ann
(877) 577-5507
(928) 554-8000
info@ddrvresort.com "

5/19/18 Sedona, AZ Indio CA Motoccoach Contry club
5/20/18 Indio CA San Clemente, CA Home
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
What time of year and what sort of activities are you thinking about? Sightseeing, easy walks, serious hikes, mountain biking, off roading, horse back exploring, fly fishing? Lots of options in Utah.

Couple general comments:
* Lots of options for stay-overs going up I-15. Depending on what is going on at home (and traffic), I sometimes pack up mid afternoon, have dinner, then hit the road approx. 8:00 pm. Stop at Primm approx 11:00 pm; sleep at Buffalo Bill’s back lot (huge and well lit). I leave in am and get to St George easily by 10:00 am (set up camp and have time to go off-roading that afternoon.
* I don’t mind driving I-15 at night, except for the Virgin River Gorge (just north of Mesquite). I enjoy that gorge in day light, but not at night.
* If you are into mountain biking, ATV’s, jeeps, or off road exploring in any way, Moab is a bucket list destination.
* Speaking of bucket list places; the Green River, coming out of Flaming Gorge Reservoir offers great drift boating (both fishing and sight seeing) – I’m going there for first time in April.
* If you hit the eastern part of the state (Moab, Arches NP, Canyon Land NP), make a loop and drive through Monument Valley. I wouldn’t justify a trip solely for Monument Valley, but it’s a cool place to drive through.
* Sedona (AZ) has gorgeous red rock scenery (lot of walking/hiking trails and easy to moderate off-road trails) . Depending on where you are in Utah, you could take a southerly route home and hit I-40. Sedona is less than an hour from Flagstaff. If you want to rent in Sedona or Moab, look up Barlow Jeep Rentals – they will explain things, give you maps, and point you to trails appropriate for your skill level.
* Don’t feel you need to hit everything in Utah in one trip. You only live 6 – 7 hours from the St George, Hurricane, Zion area. Bryce is another hour or two.
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know how much time you have but would not try the Zion tunnel with a 40ft and towed. From NV I go 15-9 to Zion then back to 15 then 20 and 89/12 to Bryce. You can then go back 89 to 70 to Moab. If you give us your time window we could be a little more help.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have visited Utah a lot over the years and do not fear that you are going miss something. It is a great place to visit especially in spring and fall. Read about the Big Five. Start with the southern parks and monuments, and then head northeast to Capitol Reef and Canyonlands if you have time.

Busskipper has a good post. I love Canyon de Chelly.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
JCat wrote:
OK I have started to plan out a trip for me and 2 other friends to the Parks in Utah. 3 class A's in total)

I have pulled a plan from a person who came from the East, but I have not seen a trip planned from anyone coming from CA.

I started planning and got to Vegas, then Cedar city, from there i'm not to sure which way is best.

So if someone has already done this trip and can give me the details on RV parks and day trips, etc it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Before you can truly make a plan you will need to have the time of year and the amount of time.

BUT it will follow something like this - This is one we've done during the shoulder seasons - Vegas to Zion through the Tunnel to Bryce - then RT 12 with a chance for Kodachrome SP Escalante, and Goblins - then on to Capital Reef - Possibly catching Green River along the way to Moab an Canyonlands - From there head to Mexican Hat - Goosenecks - Monument Valley - we will usually Catch Canyon de Chelly before heading to Page/Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon - North Rim - then Back to Vegas or Mesquite - few things are not in order but just follow the map.

Sort of like this - https://binged.it/2Dg0Lg3 - Map

Like I said time of the year is Critical and you will need a Year 🙂

Best of Luck hope this is of some Help,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
JCat, We try to get from home to St George the first day some days we'll stop at Oasis RV Resort in Vegas. About 10 miles north of St G is the turn to Zion via Hwy 9. Zion is not one of our favorites and everything has been crowded when we visited. Driving through was the best part of being there. I don't remember the height restriction for the tunnel but at 11'6" we fit.

Continue on 9 to 89 to 12 to Bryce Canyon NP. Technically Bruce Canyon is not a Canyon but it is spectacular. We have been in the winter, spring and summer, doesn't matter the time of year it's going to be fantastic. You really need time to explore in the early morning and late afternoon to appreciate the colors and forms.

I would take 12 to 24, east on 24 to Capitol Reef, it can be very crowded. We couldn't get in the last time we were there so it's been a long, long time since we explored CR. I don't remember it at all.

Hanksville and then South on 95 to 191 and then North to Blanding. The last time we were there we stayed in a Campground behind a trading post on the West side of the Hwy. Nothing special but we used the campground for a base that covered, Natural Bridges, Moki Dugway, Muley Point, Goosenecks and Valley of the Gods. We visited all five in one day. Don't do that! Split is up anyway you want, I would do Natural Bridges, one day and maybe Muley Point. It's a long drive to do all five sites. There is dispersed camping In Valley of the Gods and while it is possible to take a large Class A down there I wouldn't unless you are all very skilled in steep switchback dirt roads.

The needles District of Canyonlands is worth the drive, you can make it in almost any passenger vehicle from Monticello to the Visitors center but there isn't a lot of camping so I'd stay in Blanding or Monticello.

There is camping in the Northern district, Island in the Sky and at the State park at Dead Horse point. I took my little Sidekick down into the area below Dead Horse Point from the Visitors Center at the entrance to Island in the Sky. No sedans when we were there. Dead Horse Point is a great overlook into the canyon.

Just North of the turn off for Dead Horse Point and Island is Arches. The road has been known to be closed due to the high volume of visitors and camping is at a premium. Campground reservations in all five parks are necessary.

Actually I would go to the Visitors Center in Monticello before doing much exploring around the Southeast part of the state. You may not know what a Dugway is, I know I didn't know there was a name for roads like that. You can find out that and much more at the visitors center.

Another interesting thing to do is drive up the Colorado River Road from N/O Moab and S/O Arches as far as you care. It is very different than other parts of the river.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
We went first to North las vegas for overnight, then up I-15 to Hwy 20 thru Panguitch to Bryce Cyn NP. This avoids some narrow, steep roads over the mountains.

Then back the same way to Hurricane and then to Zion NP. Alternatively you can go more directly from Panguitch as long as you have a rig that's not too big as there are restrictions.

https://www.nps.gov/zion/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-zion-mt-carmel-highway-and-tunnel.htm
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain