Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best Way To Treat/Filter Campground Well Water???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best Way To Treat/Filter Campground Well Water???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
darleyhavidson

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a seasonal camping spot. The well water the campground uses is not treated. Consequently, bacteria from the well water likes to take root in the water heater and/or water lines and I get a wonderful rotten egg (sulfur) smell.

Other than sanitizing the water heater and pipes initially, how can I eliminate the bacteria that causes the sulfur smell?

I was looking at UV filters, but I have no experience with them.

Any practical advice or experience would be appreciated.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure it is bacteria?

Water with high iron content can also cause rotten egg (sulfur) smell from water heaters which have a lined steel tank (Suburban brand) and a second anode rod.

As the anode rod wears out, the rotten egg or sulfur smell will get bad..

Not sure if aluminum water heat tanks (Attwood) have the same problem.

For Suburban tanks the fix is replacing the anode rod with a new on, do not cut off the rod and put the plug back in, doing so will drastically shorten the life of the tank.

Ideally, the way to fix high iron content water is through a iron removal system, in a pinch a decent water softener can be used although may not be totally effective.

Rather than guessing, I would recommend getting the water fully tested by a professional water testing service. Make sure the test checks for bacteria along with iron/mineral content. This way you KNOW FOR SURE what you are dealing with.

If bacteria is present in the water, then the campground should be held responsible for fixing the problem.. Either by treatment or new well and sanitizing their water system.

If they refuse to do so, I suggest you consider finding a different campground that values your well being..

Have had several mobile home courts around my area shut down due to bad water..

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Visit this site and/or call - they are very helpful and can recommend anything you may need.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second what Gdetrailer writes.

Why take the risk messing around with contaminated water? The United States is not a third world country.

You should contact the county / state health department and ask for a copy of the latest inspection report. In Michigan commercial drinking water wells are tested and licensed annually, I would expect the law to be similar in North Dakota.

On the other hand, if the state / county can provide record of inspection and testing for the well as passed, then it's a mechanical (particulate) or chemical (various metal salts in solution) problem. In that case it may be treatable with various filters. Removing metal salts usually requires ion-exchange treatment aka a water softener.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

darleyhavidson

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Are you sure it is bacteria?

Water with high iron content can also cause rotten egg (sulfur) smell from water heaters which have a lined steel tank (Suburban brand) and a second anode rod.

As the anode rod wears out, the rotten egg or sulfur smell will get bad..

Not sure if aluminum water heat tanks (Attwood) have the same problem.

For Suburban tanks the fix is replacing the anode rod with a new on, do not cut off the rod and put the plug back in, doing so will drastically shorten the life of the tank.

Ideally, the way to fix high iron content water is through a iron removal system, in a pinch a decent water softener can be used although may not be totally effective.

Rather than guessing, I would recommend getting the water fully tested by a professional water testing service. Make sure the test checks for bacteria along with iron/mineral content. This way you KNOW FOR SURE what you are dealing with.

If bacteria is present in the water, then the campground should be held responsible for fixing the problem.. Either by treatment or new well and sanitizing their water system.

If they refuse to do so, I suggest you consider finding a different campground that values your well being..

Have had several mobile home courts around my area shut down due to bad water..

That is a fair statement. It could be high iron content. My camping neighbors are experiencing the same smell. We experienced the smell at the exact same time, so that is why we assumed it was a well water issue versus a singular camper issue. I had a Suburban water heater last season (with anode) with my old camper. My new to me camper has a Atwood brand aluminum water heater.

Basically, I am trying to get ahead of the problem before the start of this camping season. I will see if I can find the water health report for the county the campground is located.

Thanks for the feedback.

lawrosa

Howell NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being a plumber you need bleach injection of some sort. Since that will be expensive and you need room for bleach tank, mixing tank etc, its not feasible.

So its sounds like bacterial iron in the water..

I would disconnect from the source and use the fresh water tank onboard. add like 5 teaspoons bleach 6% only to a 50 gallon tank.

Like a pool you want to keep chlorine levels low. 2 ppm <

Remember you are not sanitizing you are just treating. Sanitizing requires large amounts of bleach like 1 cup to 40 gallons..

Also note the bleach will oxidize the iron. And it will settle in the vessels. HWH and fresh tank. Flush these out once a month or so.

* This post was edited 03/10/18 04:07pm by lawrosa *

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

darleyhavidson

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lawrosa wrote:

Being a plumber you need bleach injection of some sort. Since that will be expensive and you need room for bleach tank, mixing tank etc, its not feasible.

So its sounds like bacterial iron in the water..

I would disconnect from the source and use the fresh water tank onboard. add like 5 teaspoons bleach 6% only to a 50 gallon tank.

Like a pool you want to keep chlorine levels low. 2 ppm <

Remember you are not sanitizing you are just treating. Sanitizing requires large amounts of bleach like 1 cup to 40 gallons..

Also not the bleach will oxidize the iron. And it will settle in the vessels. HWH and fresh tank. Flush these out once a month or so.

Thanks for the information, very helpful.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100-1 it's not bacteria. Wells are generally bacteria free as there normally isn't a source of nutrients and commercial wells get regular testing. They would be shut down if there was a bacterial problem.

Rotten egg is typically sulfur in the water. It won't hurt you but will taste & smell nasty. Hot water heaters intensify the smell.

No real good solutions. You can mess around with charcoal filters and water softeners but they usually only make it slightly less objectionable.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

darleyhavidson

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

Visit this site and/or call - they are very helpful and can recommend anything you may need.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

Thanks for the link. Interesting products available.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

Second what Gdetrailer writes.

Why take the risk messing around with contaminated water? The United States is not a third world country.

You should contact the county / state health department and ask for a copy of the latest inspection report. In Michigan commercial drinking water wells are tested and licensed annually, I would expect the law to be similar in North Dakota.

On the other hand, if the state / county can provide record of inspection and testing for the well as passed, then it's a mechanical (particulate) or chemical (various metal salts in solution) problem. In that case it may be treatable with various filters. Removing metal salts usually requires ion-exchange treatment aka a water softener.

This.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best Way To Treat/Filter Campground Well Water???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS