cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Benefits of a Bedroom AC Unit?

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
Is having an AC unit in the bedroom area a bonus or a curse? Our current unit only has one 13.5 unit in the living quarters and is rather noisy.

In our new TH search we see options for a second AC in the Bedroom. These units are 15.0 BTU units but we are wondering if it is necessary. We have not hears one running yet and its still cold so can't tell their effectiveness yet.

My biggest concern would be the noise. If they are anything like the noise output of our current AV, I'm less likely to get it.

We are looking at the Jayco Talon 313T which is 40' so the added volume of the trailer may justify a second AC unit.

Any input is appreciated.
2018 GMC Seirra 3500 Denali SRW
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2019 Polaris XP1000 Trail and Rocks edition
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats
22 REPLIES 22

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a big rig but I use one of these hepls to move the air around and it's quite too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-and-Corded-Jobsite-Fan-Tool-Only...
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
FunnyCamper wrote:
curse ๐Ÿ™‚

but needed for big rvs

we downsized and it is a blessing in that we can now have wonderful AC in the master without having another ac in the bedroom.
it is loud
it can leak water on your bed
you have to have 50 amp service .

my bedroom acs had none of these faults and ran just fine on 30 amp service. the beauty with two ACs is you can move the noise to the unoccupied area if desired.
bumpy

you are lucky your unit didn't spit water at your bed ๐Ÿ™‚
but we have people in all areas of the unit at all times so it sucked if ya asked me cause unless we had 50 amp we couldn't run 2....and the 2 were the master and main unit, the box was hot as hades and the kid slept in there LOL
the 40 ft usual toyhauler to us did not suit us one bit but would easily suit others I am sure for how they live in it. how we lived, it made sense to move into a smaller toyhauler travel trailer, the ONE main AC covered the whole thing and cooled it wonderful all over, kiddo had ac due to the fact she was on her queen unit in the main box and ....well...it has suited us just so much better.

I still say curse thru our experience but of course everyone's mileage will vary so much on this ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad you've had great experiences but our experience differed much.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
curse ๐Ÿ™‚

but needed for big rvs

we downsized and it is a blessing in that we can now have wonderful AC in the master without having another ac in the bedroom.
it is loud
you have to have 50 amp service .

my bedroom acs had none of these faults and ran just fine on 30 amp service. the beauty with two ACs is you can move the noise to the unoccupied area if desired.
bumpy

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
curse ๐Ÿ™‚

but needed for big rvs

it is loud
you have to have 50 amp service

going shorter gave us no noise in bedroom, no water leaking, can handle 30 amp service and go to our state parks/coe easier etc.

when we had the big 40ft toyhauler that ac was absolutely needed. problem was then no ac in the toy box where kid slept, omg so hot.

shorter was so much better for us.

just some observations, how you camp, where you camp etc. to be considered.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We actually run the bedroom A/C with the fan set to low. It drowns out the noise of the campground and we're almost never bothered by neighbors at night or in the morning. We love it as a "white machine".

The new camper has a "whisper quiet" air conditioner in the bedroom where the return vents aren't directly attached to the air conditioner box itself. It's amazingly quieter.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Our rig is 38' long, one AC in the bedroom, one in the garage. It gets nice real quick when both are on, but it gets miserable real quick if the bedroom one doesn't work as there isn't a great way to get air flowing back there since the windows are small. We learned this the hard way on a boondocking trip last summer, the front AC stopped working on day 2. It usually cooled off enough when it was bedtime, but we ended up lowering the happijac bed in the back to be able to take naps during the day (which is a favorite camping past time of ours haha).
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
our RV has 2 also and while most of the time in New England we don't really need the second one, we do run it and have gotten used to the noise.

Last summer while on Cape Hatteras NC, we were glad we had 2!
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

2btowed
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta have a unit in the BR.If its 90 outside and you have not pre-cooled your 5th at home EVERYTHING in your 5th will be 90,that includes clothes,bed coverings,food in cabinets,toothpaste...get the idea. Pre cool 5th cabinets open,haul it there,get ACs workin and recool.I use my BR more than my ducted unit,run it at night with 12v fan and love the white noise.
08 Ranger/sold/14 rzr900 4
08 Grizzly x2
06 400ex
06 Honda 90
08 f450
04 Kymco 110

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Sane here on running both during the day as needed and turning off the bedroom unit at night.

yep, cool R down and then move noise away from where you are.

If they skimped on that 40 footer with only one AC, what else did they skimp on?

bumpy

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 in our 5th wheel and during the summer, the 2nd one comes in really handy when it is in the 90s during the day and doesn't cool down lower than the 80s or if it's muggy.

We will typically run the thermostat up on the one in the bedroom, but it occasionally come on during the night. It is usually rather loud, but that does come in handy if you are in a campground where nightime noise (trains, highways, etc.) might be a problem.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Noise is an issue with the brand of the A/C. My 15 BTU Atwood Air Commander is MUCH quieter than the other one which I think is a 13.5 BTU Dometic.

I think they are made by the same company.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's one of those luxury items. Sure is nice to have when the rv is hot and you want to cool it down faster.
For anything like a 40 footer, it's a must.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
If you're getting a 40 footer you'll need that second AC unit.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has three air conditioners but we never run the bedroom one at night due to the noise.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE