cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Timing?

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
DH will retire 2nd week in Jan. 2019 & we plan to fulltime as soon as we can after his last day of work. Question in what order do we do everything? Selling the house, do we put it up before he retires so hopefully it would be sold by retirement or shortly after. We live in Indiana so if we put it up and sells before Jan. we will be living in 5th wheel in winter. Another concern is he will start getting his social security the month of Jan. 2019 also. If we haven't got a new domicile by then , then we will have to change address not long after he gets everything set up for SS. We have been planning on this fulltime dream for such a long time and the closer it gets our minds just cant sort out everything! Any suggestions and advice from anyone that has gone thru this would be very much appreciated. Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
14 REPLIES 14

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for explaining 2 gypsies, I appreciate it! And yes that is what we will do. We plan on Domicile in SD. So, we will get our mail and new address and get a new bank before he starts receiving SS and dealing with finding a supplement for Medicare. The house well, probably wait till Jan 2019 to put it up for sale. We have close friends that are realtors, so we will head out Jan and let them sell the home, like Scottiemom did. Thanks for sharing Scottiemom! Thanks to everyone for all your advice, we really appreciate the valuable info. Tara:)
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I would not plan on selling your house before DH retires and living in the 5th wheel in Indiana in the winter. I am an Indiana native and I cannot see that working. I supposed you could find a winter camp, but it depends on where you are at. My guess you aren't going to find one. I would spend the time between now and January getting your house emptied and ready to put on the market. When he retires and when you have your house ready, hit the road.

We left in September and had a friend/realtor list our house. It sold the first week we were gone. Did everything by phone and fax and never had to return to sign anything.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
how can we get a new address when we still live at this one?

You can own homes in other states but can only domicile in one. You can get mail in other states but you're still domiciled in only one. Just receiving mail in a state does not mean you're considered domiciled in that state.

By just having your mail forwarded to a mail forwarding facility does not break ties with your present domiciled state. You will still pay taxes to your present state, you will still vote in your present state and your vehicles will still be registered in your present state. It is your state of domicile.

Until you break ties with your present state it will be your domicile.

Once you sell your house and want to make the break from your present state then you will choose whatever state you want to domicile. Hopefully, you will have chosen your mail forwarding to be in that state beforehand as it will make the process easier and faster since you'll already have your new address. You'll then have to go to your newly chosen state to register your vehicles, change your insurance to the new state and register to vote. With your new domicile address you will now be paying taxes to that state.

I hope this makes sense.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone we appreciate all the info. We do have several Rv parks within a 40 minute drive of his work. We have been thinking of just putting it up this June then if it sells go to Rv park or try and get camp host job at one of the 2 state parks that are less than an hour away, but it is very hard to get camp host job at those parks. They have the same camp hosts year after year. 2gypies , how can we get a new address when we still live at this one? Do not understand how that would work. Sounds good though! Thanks again and I am sure I'm going to have lots more questions to ask u guys!! Thanks again Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Right now you can begin getting rid of a lot of your excess 'stuff'. An uncluttered house sells more easily because it makes the house look larger. You might want to remove (sell or give to kids) some excess furniture, also. Get your home ready for sale - repairs, paint, etc.

Then list it by June - a good sale time. If it sells fast you could try for a contingency on being out in February and in the meantime pay rent to the new buyers.

If it sells fast and that doesn't work is there a RV park close to work that you can stay until October when bad weather starts? Then take the RV a little south out of the snow belt and store it for a few months until January and perhaps move in with relatives/friends or rent an apartment for the few months of Oct to Jan.

Have an auction for your belongings being winter it will be the easiest and fastest way rather than garage sales. You could advertise big items separately.

If it doesn't sell fast then you'll have a big head start on everything and hopefully you can leave for someplace warm in January. You don't have to be around for the sale. Everything is done by fax nowadays. If need be, you could leave your RV in the warmth and you could fly back for any last minute necessities.

Start on making a schedule of Things To Do and you'll probably need to keep adding to it.

... before retirement and even though you still have the house .... set up your mail forwarding and get your address. Now you'll have your address for Social Security without having to re-change it. Then start changing your address on everything. Keep a list as you change them. Remember the magazine subscriptions if you have them. They take 6-8 weeks to change. Set up AutoPays on everything you can.

or.... retire Jan. 2019 and then start doing everything.. listing the house for a spring sale.

We did everything in a 3m time period. Best of luck to you and yes, right now it seems overwhelming but believe me... when you start doing everything you'll get such a 'rush' of excitement and it will be like lifting a big burden off your shoulders. Many full-timers have done it before you and somehow it all works out. You may have a few months of stress but it will soon be over and you'll be FREE!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We both applied for our SS with our mail service PMB address. No problem. We do get our annual notices by mail and the 1099 statement for taxes, but the monthly checks are deposited in our bank account.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Be calm and reread the thoughtful posts above.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Best selling time for houses is the spring, so put it up this spring and if it sells right away, move into your RV in a park in town (or somewhere close) for the remainder of time before he retires.

Set up your SS for direct deposit. Never had a check come in the mail so that was never a problem. You are going to get a mail forwarding service right? Do that at least 3 months before you leave. If house sells, do it then.

Can he forgo vacation this summer and take it in January instead?

As everyone has said, take a deep breath, relax, and know that we have all been there, done that. We actually put our house up a year before we retired and ended up renting a duplex for the year (house sold in 3 days) for the year. So we downsized in two steps. Actually made it easier to do.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Captain_Happy wrote:
First of all slow down and take breath. Trying to sell the house in the dead of winter in Indiana and is probably not your best option. In your case I'd first decide on just where I wanted to setup my domicile. If you have children in the area you could use there address as your home base, and if not there's an another option. Join the Escapee RV Club and setup your domicile through them. Jump in the RV and head south for the remainder of the winter months while the house is on the market. In my case I was living down in Texas at the time and it was summer time when I put my house on the market (sold in 1 day). While I was cleaning out the house which is probably going to be the hardest part, I was living in my Motor Home in the backyard. There's all kinds on options for you, you just have to pick the right one for you. In my case I'm using my son's home address as my domicile. And so far it's worked out well. I have all my mail sent to Escapees mail service and they send to me where ever I'm at when I want it. I'm on my third year now of full-timing.

When I started thinking about going full-time after my wife passed away it took me at least 6 months to get things figured out. Read everything I could get my hands on. Talked to my brother and his wife about it because they where already full-timing which really helped out.
As far as the S.S. check you can have it sent right to your home bank of your choose. Can even be the one your using right now. And if you decide later that you want it sent somewhere else that can also be done. So make the best of this year because it'll be over before you know it.

X2 on the Escapees RV Club. They have a wealth of knowledge and information to help you get started - in addition to providing you with legal domicile through their mail services. We use USAA for banking and insurance - they don't have physical locations, anyway (except for headquarters and one or two locations in San Antonio). All retirement income streams are direct-deposited to our bank accounts and all bills are paid on-line through our bank's bill pay system. The only things we receive "snail mail" are new registration stickers for the vehicles and our meds from Express Scripts.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
First of all slow down and take breath. Trying to sell the house in the dead of winter in Indiana and is probably not your best option. In your case I'd first decide on just where I wanted to setup my domicile. If you have children in the area you could use there address as your home base, and if not there's an another option. Join the Escapee RV Club and setup your domicile through them. Jump in the RV and head south for the remainder of the winter months while the house is on the market. In my case I was living down in Texas at the time and it was summer time when I put my house on the market (sold in 1 day). While I was cleaning out the house which is probably going to be the hardest part, I was living in my Motor Home in the backyard. There's all kinds on options for you, you just have to pick the right one for you. In my case I'm using my son's home address as my domicile. And so far it's worked out well. I have all my mail sent to Escapees mail service and they send to me where ever I'm at when I want it. I'm on my third year now of full-timing.

When I started thinking about going full-time after my wife passed away it took me at least 6 months to get things figured out. Read everything I could get my hands on. Talked to my brother and his wife about it because they where already full-timing which really helped out.
As far as the S.S. check you can have it sent right to your home bank of your choose. Can even be the one your using right now. And if you decide later that you want it sent somewhere else that can also be done. So make the best of this year because it'll be over before you know it.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
I changed mine ( SS) Right after also. No checks sent, auto deposit the payment and have everything possible sent to email not mailed. set all that up asap. address forwarding can catch almost anything else. Nowdays almost everything can be auto handled (deposits and credit Payments)with instant text or email notifications in real time allowing you to follow up. your mailing address should be almost secondary.
Bill

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry duplicate.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
List a little early and set a contingency closing date to fit your schedule.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Social security address is not a problem - SS deposits all payment into your bank account they do not send checks - I moved right after I got my first payment
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks