Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Jacking to change a tire or service brakes or bearings?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Jacking to change a tire or service brakes or bearings?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/18 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this has been beaten to death, but my situation is a little different than most of the threads I see here. I have towed a lot of different trailers a lot of miles, and have changed tires in gas station parking lots, on lonely gravel roads, in muddy fields and a bunch of other inconvenient and dirty places.

Every single time I’ve jacked up a trailer, I’ve put the jack under the plate on the end of the axle where it mounts to the spring or to the frame of the trailer. As an engineer I can tell you, in spite of what manufacturers may tell you, this is the best place to lift one for a tire change. I carry a hydraulic jack in my truck with plywood pads and never have a problem.

But my 5th wheel is different. I thought I had a workable method, but I’m glad I learned it wasn’t practical at home. The biggest difficulty is the fact that there is no plate under the axle, just the U-bolt.

Link to a photo share from my Amazon account

If I try to lift by the frame, besides the fundamentally bad idea of applying a load at an unstabilized point on an I-beam with a very narrow flange, I have to lift the trailer forever to get the tire off the ground. The jack will need a lot of blocking just to reach the frame, and I’ll end up with a jack sticking way up and the trailer leaning over to compensate for spring movement. Not ideal for frame integrity or stable jacking.

I’ve tried driving it onto a block, but the distance between the axles makes this impractical. I’d need to carry half a lumber yard to get high enough to lift the other wheel.

There has to be a better way.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/18 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a hard piece of 2x4, I think it's oak, under the u-bolt. I cut out a groove, that just fits the u-bolt, making a flat surface on the axle. Then I put a short bottle jack under, to just raise the tire.

Jerry

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/18 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping World sells a device called "Trailer Aide". No jacks are needed[emoticon] Just drive your RV tire up the tire and the other tire will be lifted off the ground. The just move the trailer aide to the other tire. I carry 2 at all times in my trailer.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/18 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry but I place the jack directly I n the axle and lift! While many would like you to think these axles are made of tin foil, they are strong enough to support the load the tire is carrying. If they were so thin jacking would dent it, then the first small pothole you hit the tire would be leaning out at 10 degrees!

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,RV 275's Bilstein 5100's, 313K miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 20,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

F-TROUP

VISALIA, CALIF

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/18 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With independently sprung axles the Trailer Aid won't get the flat off the ground. I use a bottle jack and jack stand.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/18 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Axle Saddle for bottle jacks......LINK

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/18 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-TROUP wrote:

With independently sprung axles the Trailer Aid won't get the flat off the ground. I use a bottle jack and jack stand.

Yeah that's the case with my fiver, however the traileraid is still handy since it will reduce the amount of jacking that you have to do. But a stack of 2X8's will do the same.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/18 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“There has to be a better way.“

Build a sufficient wooden ramp. No jacking necessary. Sorry you are tired.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/18 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do exactly like MFL describes.

What is that old saying about great minds. [emoticon]

Puddles

Lafayette, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/18 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Axle Saddle for bottle jacks......LINK

Have a home made version of this... 4" metal coupler cut in half, weld 1.5" pc of pipe on the underneath side to fit over top of bottle jack. Coupler is sized to fit btw U bolts. used many times over last 10 yrs.

HTML

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Jacking to change a tire or service brakes or bearings?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS