cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slide out cover!

lakelady4
Explorer
Explorer
I have had leak problems with my slide out. the leak has been fixed but we have to retape above the rubber on the slide out every other spring. which is OK. I am wondering if a slide out cover would help this situation? and which brand etc.
7 REPLIES 7

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work! Some folks don't like toppers, and that's a nice alternative. Good looking and functional.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29453984.cfm
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
I made some drip caps to cover my slide outs when closed.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29453984.cfm

Not sure why it wont direct link.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
A slide topper is always good to protect the top of the slide from weather.
they make products to help protect the seals from drying and cracking. The use of both will extend the life of your rig.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
lakelady4 wrote:
I have had leak problems with my slide out. the leak has been fixed but we have to retape above the rubber on the slide out every other spring. which is OK. I am wondering if a slide out cover would help this situation? and which brand etc.

I highly recommend a slide topper. I installed this one last November on our Winnebago 2101DS. Of course, etrailer has other sizes available. The job was quite easy. A friend and I did it in about an hour.

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If you camp under trees a lot, a slide topper is a good idea.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
For the most part slide covers work. They keep rain, leaves and other debris off the slide.

But nothing is perfect, they do allow some rain and debris to blow under, which usually means judicious use of a leaf blower when it time to clean.

Since you already know the slide seal gives you problems from time to time, and periodic cleaning does not always work; the slide top would seem to be an easy fix.

Good luck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are talking the slide seals on the sides and top of the slide, if you have to replace them every year, that is a problem. Or if you have to replace sealing tape on the slide every year or 2, that is not normal either. Something is not correct. I went 10 years on my first set of slide seals and that was due to a screw head beating through it. The butyl slide tape after about 6 years I did change it to Eternabond as the top layer of the standard slide tape was coming up. But that did not cause any leaks I changed it as a preventative measure.

All slide seals are not the same nor the same configuration. Nor is the way slides are built. Pictures of your slide seal setup would be helpful to show us what you are up against. And that slide seal tape you are replacing. We may be able to spot something you can fix. Take many pic's showing the whole slide, then the seals and get down on the ground and take pics looking up with the slide out how the seals looks sealing against the camper flange.

My slide has no topper and I have never had a leak in the slide in the 11 years of us having this camper. A topper does help but if that is your main roof to prevent slide leaks, that is not good.

What year, brand and model camper do you have?

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.