cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collies go to bed early

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Of a evening the Collies go to bed while I watch TV . The problem is they wake up around 3:30 am and usually wake me as well. I have always got up early (but not that early). I can usually go back to sleep by playing possum. They watch me for about 30 seconds to see if my eyes are open or any movement, if not they go back to bed. If they detect movement the day has begun.

Any of you experience this behavior with your dogs?

Part of this behavior was because I use to get up at 4:45 for work, retired now and would like to sleep in until 7.
21 REPLIES 21

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
Based upon the smell around our yard some mornings we have skunks visiting during the night; I’m happy we don’t have a dog door so the border collies can come and go as they like.
We have skunks, possum, fox and squirrels as well and it's never been a issue but I do have a fenced back yard. I like that I don't have to let them in/out and if they get warm they can go outside, they like cold weather. The Collies know when they need to go potty and not have to depend when it's convenient for me.

While I could see a issue for those who live in the country. Extreme weather could be a issue as well. While it works for me it might not work well for others.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Based upon the smell around our yard some mornings we have skunks visiting during the night; I’m happy we don’t have a dog door so the border collies can come and go as they like.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
K Charles wrote:
I take the puppy (4 month old) for a walk at 10:30 PM. He wakes me up at 6:30 every morning. It was 4:00 for a couple weeks. I only had to mop up once in the last 5 days so I don't mind getting up, I just have to take a nap in the afternoon. I may be to old to get a puppy next time this guy is like the energizer bunny.
The Collies have a dog door they can go in and out as they wish.

He is only 4 months old and if I don't take him out I have to clean up after him. He'll grow up in the next couple weeks.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Sigh - I'm sure you all know that dread early-morning feeling of wishing you could get up to pee; but if you do - you will signal to the canine family that it's time to get up.....LOL!!

My dogs used to be pretty good about sleeping in - but since Jimmy's diabetes, HE needs to pee and they are both hungry now that they are not unlimited food in the dish. So the urge to drag me out of bed is pretty strong....
Yep know the feeling well, but you can only hold it so long.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
This brings back such fond memories! When we had Collies, more than one of them would head upstairs to get into bed right around 9pm each and every night. One of the other ones would lay claim to the king size bed upstairs while we were out. We'd always hear her jump off the bed when we came home. Yes, it did get crowded in Bed with two full size Collies and a Mini Aussie. 🙂
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Sigh - I'm sure you all know that dread early-morning feeling of wishing you could get up to pee; but if you do - you will signal to the canine family that it's time to get up.....LOL!!

My dogs used to be pretty good about sleeping in - but since Jimmy's diabetes, HE needs to pee and they are both hungry now that they are not unlimited food in the dish. So the urge to drag me out of bed is pretty strong....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
A more comfortable bed may help. Moose-dog used to get up as soon as he knew I was awake. Now he sleeps on 2-1/2 inches of memory foam and doesn't get up until I make him.
The Collies have Foster&Smith best top quality beds, $179. that are 6 inches thick with two different kinds of foam and a quilted and padded cover. It was the best I could find.

Just looked it up and it's still their top bed but now they are 269.99 Super deluxe Memory foam dog bed.

See that's your problem. You got them DOG beds. They want REAL beds. Preferably with you in it.
LOL they are not allowed in my bed, there would be no room for me. They are both big Collies around 90 pounds each.

You'll manage. The dogs know you really only need about 3 inches along the very edge of the bed to sleep.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
A more comfortable bed may help. Moose-dog used to get up as soon as he knew I was awake. Now he sleeps on 2-1/2 inches of memory foam and doesn't get up until I make him.
The Collies have Foster&Smith best top quality beds, $179. that are 6 inches thick with two different kinds of foam and a quilted and padded cover. It was the best I could find.

Just looked it up and it's still their top bed but now they are 269.99 Super deluxe Memory foam dog bed.

See that's your problem. You got them DOG beds. They want REAL beds. Preferably with you in it.
LOL they are not allowed in my bed, there would be no room for me. They are both big Collies around 90 pounds each.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Katie never got use to fall back. The whole time she was running on Spring forward, LOL. Dang, I wish we had Arizona time zone.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Our rescue Border Collie? (unknown) is opposite.
ONCE she goes to sleep she will sleep until one of us wakes her in the AM

Getting her to GO to Sleep is the issue.

We tell her goodnight...go to bed and for the next hour or so she stands next to one then other 'excessively panting'.....she doesn't want to go outside, she doesn't want anything to eat she just gets neurotic about going to sleep.

Not sure Exactly WHAT went on in her previous life.....but night time must have been scary.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I take the puppy (4 month old) for a walk at 10:30 PM. He wakes me up at 6:30 every morning. It was 4:00 for a couple weeks. I only had to mop up once in the last 5 days so I don't mind getting up, I just have to take a nap in the afternoon. I may be to old to get a puppy next time this guy is like the energizer bunny.
The Collies have a dog door they can go in and out as they wish.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:
gee, I thought I was the only one that operated on GST! :W
I'm finding out I'm not alone as well.:Z

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote: