cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on auto antifreeze ?

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will regular auto antifreeze hurt the seal in a RV toilet?

I am not interested in hearing about RV antifreeze

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
21 REPLIES 21

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
OP, just curious...why do you ask? Did you accidently put some in the toilet?
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Gdetrailer wrote:
proxim2020 wrote:
Vegetable oil works just fine. I've been doing vegetable oil over the seal for years in trailers. Even after sitting for months I've never came back to something that looks like gear oil. The oil does go rancid, but I don't don't plan on cooking with it. After months of sitting you get a bit of a rancid smell if you stick your nose in the bowl, but the odor isn't strong enough to foul up the rest of the trailer.

Never said it would look like "gear oil".

However, when vegy oil breaks down over time it LEAVES A STICKY RESIDUE behind on any surface it touched.

While YOU may think that is fine and good, it WILL build up and eventually can cause the blade to stick and dislodge the seal, or cause other "stuff" to stick and not clear the seal..

Use oils at your own risk, it won't be me needing to replace parts on my toilet..

If you don't understand the issue with vegy oils, then perhaps you need to go check out what happens at restaurants that use friers.. Granted, the oil there gets airborn via heat but every surface that the airborn oil lands on gets a coating of near impossible to remove greasy build up.. Takes a lot of hard work to cleanup vegy oils residue..

Imagine scrubbing that greasy build up out of your toilet blade and seal (yuck)!!!

I can't figure out why it is so "important" to put ANYTHING in the toilet bowl while not in use or in storage..

I have been allowing mine to dryout over the last 18 yrs and those toilets have NEVER developed leaking issues with the seals.

The RV toilet manufacturers SHIP the toilets with no liquids, those toilets sit for long periods of time in warehouses which often are not climate controlled before being installed in a RV..

Trailer manufacturers ship the trailers with the toilet bowl empty and these trailers often sit on dealers lots for months to even a year or so with EMPTY BOWLS..

RV toilets are not the same as home toilets, the blade/seal take place of the "trap" in a home toilet..

Home toilets MUST have water in the bowl in order to fill the trap and prevent sewer gasses from getting into the home..

RV toilets, no water needed for a trap.

Do yourself a favor, just leave the bowl empty when storing..

You're right, I should believe you over my lying eyes. I've never encountered any of the problems that you have theorized. I've never had any issues with sticking blades, seals that have popped out, or had to scrub off a greasy buildup. The toilet just gets cleaned every once in a while with a toilet brush and cheap bowl cleaner just like at home. I've never needed to replace a blade or a seal.

I completely understand the chemical reaction that takes place when air, water, and heat meets certain oils. This would be more of a concern to me if I used a very small amount or allowed the oil to sit to the point where it dries out via oxidation. So if I use a tsp of oil or planned on leaving it in there for a year then yeah I could see it being a problem. But leaving a cup or so of oil in there while in storage hasn't caused me any problems.

I don't always put my trailer up with empty tanks. In my experience a dry seal and a half full tank in Texas heat equals coming back to a trailer that smells like a science project gone horribly wrong. And it takes days to air it out. If a dry seal works for you then great. I'll keep mine covered.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
llowllms wrote:
Where are you with your rig in the winter and why would you want to dump a pollutant in the sewer system?

DItto.

And auto antifreeze costs a whole lot more than RV antifreeze
Bob

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
proxim2020 wrote:
Vegetable oil works just fine. I've been doing vegetable oil over the seal for years in trailers. Even after sitting for months I've never came back to something that looks like gear oil. The oil does go rancid, but I don't don't plan on cooking with it. After months of sitting you get a bit of a rancid smell if you stick your nose in the bowl, but the odor isn't strong enough to foul up the rest of the trailer.

However, when vegy oil breaks down over time it LEAVES A STICKY RESIDUE behind on any surface it touched.

While YOU may think that is fine and good, it WILL build up and eventually can cause the blade to stick and dislodge the seal, or cause other "stuff" to stick and not clear the seal..

Use oils at your own risk, it won't be me needing to replace parts on my toilet..

If you don't understand the issue with vegy oils, then perhaps you need to go check out what happens at restaurants that use friers.. Granted, the oil there gets airborn via heat but every surface that the airborn oil lands on gets a coating of near impossible to remove greasy build up.. Takes a lot of hard work to cleanup vegy oils residue..

Imagine scrubbing that greasy build up out of your toilet blade and seal (yuck)!!!

I can't figure out why it is so "important" to put ANYTHING in the toilet bowl while not in use or in storage..

I have been allowing mine to dryout over the last 18 yrs and those toilets have NEVER developed leaking issues with the seals.

The RV toilet manufacturers SHIP the toilets with no liquids, those toilets sit for long periods of time in warehouses which often are not climate controlled before being installed in a RV..

Trailer manufacturers ship the trailers with the toilet bowl empty and these trailers often sit on dealers lots for months to even a year or so with EMPTY BOWLS..

RV toilets are not the same as home toilets, the blade/seal take place of the "trap" in a home toilet..

Home toilets MUST have water in the bowl in order to fill the trap and prevent sewer gasses from getting into the home..

You are wrong !
Read the manual.
They are supposed to have a cover of water over the blade to complete the seal. If that dries out you are subject to sewer gas

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
proxim2020 wrote:

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The OPs question was can I use auto antifreeze not should I use auto antifreeze.

Can you yes. Should you no. For the reasons, see above.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
proxim2020 wrote:

Olive oil..........last longer w/o going rancid
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Community Alumni
Not applicable

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
I have a couple jugs of each. Not sure what was poured in. Probably the alcohol based.

Just wanted to share my experience. Never again.

Alcohol based evaporates faster.

While it does leave a pink stain, it should not "hurt" anything by evaporating. It mainly works by displacing water, no water left, no possible way of freeze damage.

Pink stain left, should be soluble in water.. Run some fresh water and allow to set for a few hrs and stain generally will disappear on it's own.

Personally, there IS NO "NEED" to leave any standing RV antifreeze in the toilet bowl. No harm will happen to the "seals" if let dry, they come that way from the factory and the toilet manufacturers.

I don't bother leaving RV antifreeze sit in the toilet bowl, I do open the gate and dump some into the holding tank just in case there may be a small amount of water in the black tank.. I just try to be careful of splashing it on the bowl.

I would be highly concerned about dumping ANY "oily" substance in the bowl, that includes vegetable oils, nut oils or mineral oils.

Most vegetable and nut oils WILL eventually go rancid when left open to the air and tends to get real thick, gooey and sticky.. Might even attack the seals..

Mineral oils should be a no brainer, typically WILL attack the seals..

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a couple jugs of each. Not sure what was poured in. Probably the alcohol based.

Just wanted to share my experience. Never again.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
I used RV antifreeze once. Seemed to dry up and leave a hard pink residue. pitn to clean up.
Sorry I don't recall the brand or mix.

There are two "types" of RV antifreeze.

HERE

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
NanciL wrote:
Will regular auto antifreeze hurt the seal in a RV toilet?

I am not interested in hearing about RV antifreeze

Jack L

IT may not hurt the toilet seal but it will hurt everything else. Don'y use it. It is very toxic. There is no good way to dispose of it when you are done. There are other options, but auto anti freeze is not one of them.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used RV antifreeze once. Seemed to dry up and leave a hard pink residue. pitn to clean up.
Sorry I don't recall the brand or mix.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Prestone will not hurt the toilet. I actually use some mineral oil from the hardware store.

Thanks,
I am glad someone answered the question I asked !

Jack L
Jack & Nanci