Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Which RV GPS Do You Use?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Which RV GPS Do You Use?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Geeze

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/18 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been scouring the internet reading reviews and watching videos on the different brands of RV specific GPS units. None of them seem to have really good overall ratings. I've been using Garmin units in our other vehicles for years and they do tend to take you on a wild goose chase once in a while. Looking at the reviews on their RV770LTM it appears to have the same problem. I also looked at Rand McNally however their reviews are even worse than the Garmin. Looking for suggestions. Thanks

[/i]"Tired but not Retired"

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

2oldman

Pahrump

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/18 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GPS in heading

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/18 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no automated navigation that's infallible. It is foolish to rely on their instructions as gospel and follow along blindly on the "wild goose chase."

Use them as a tool to find things, to track time and miles, avoid traffic jams, etc.

Study paper or online maps for areas of interest. Study roads and routes, use the shared knowledge of forums like these.

A little knowledge beforehand will save you from any "wild goose chase" the GPS might decide to send you on.

Stories like the senior couple stranded in the desert because they blindly followed their GPS make no sense to me. Where did their common sense go when they turned off the main road and onto a Jeep trail. Or the young family that froze to death in the PNW because the driver let a GPS send him down a logging road, in the dead of winter.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Dr Jay

Northeast USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/18 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I used the Garmin and RNd McNally RV hps units theybothworked fine. They are accurate. In the over 10 years I have been RV’ng they have made minor errors but I can only remeber it happening once or twice. You have to use common sense and have a general idea of where your heading if possible. I review a map of my upcoming travels before I go on a trip. This helps me have an understand of where I am going and the roads I would be taking.
A gps in my opinion is indispensable for long trips in your RV.

2013 Winnebago Sightseer
Greater Boston Area

Geeze

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/18 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

There's no automated navigation that's infallible. It is foolish to rely on their instructions as gospel and follow along blindly on the "wild goose chase."

Use them as a tool to find things, to track time and miles, avoid traffic jams, etc.

Study paper or online maps for areas of interest. Study roads and routes, use the shared knowledge of forums like these.

A little knowledge beforehand will save you from any "wild goose chase" the GPS might decide to send you on.

Stories like the senior couple stranded in the desert because they blindly followed their GPS make no sense to me. Where did their common sense go when they turned off the main road and onto a Jeep trail. Or the young family that froze to death in the PNW because the driver let a GPS send him down a logging road, in the dead of winter.

To me a goose chase is your GPS running you up an off ramp and then right back down onto the interstate or making you drive around the block when you can see your destination. If your not familiar with the area its easy to be mislead. I have learned to question everything "Betty" tells me[emoticon]

scrubjaysnest

Big Bend area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/18 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use Garmin Nuvi's, a box of paper maps, and Garmin mapping software. A little use of Google Earth and post its for changing state and county roads in small towns also helps.

Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric 2-unknown batteries.
Very noisy generator ">
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/18 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My phone. Google Maps.

Dennis Hoppert

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/18 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

I completely agree Gordon. Common sense is missing. The road in the PNW has trapped many in the snow.

I like my RV660. I can't see spending $300 more for basicly the same product. The 660 is getting phased out but the is still some on Amazon. I got mine at Costco with a backup camera a couple years ago for a great price.

I (2-10-05) bought a 2002 F350 CC SWD PSD and a new 2003 Citation 10'8. I have been a tent camper all my life. I wanted more comfort while camping and CraterLake Ski Patrol.
It's time for more space. I purchased a 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015.

Chuck_thehammer

Ohio, or Very South Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/18 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

for my Truck / travel trailer.. I use the Garmin Dezl 770 " Trucker ".. unit with POI factory RV download files for RV items..

way better.. designed for semi-truck users.. works well 2 years and 12,000 miles..

if you have a motorhome.. use the box truck settings... for truck and trailer use the semi-truck/trailer.. and add your size into it.

with the POI files.. its is an RV gps with truck features ..

with ANY GPS.. never follow it blindly... know where you are going. and allow the GPS keep you on your route...

also the 770 allowed a finger to change route on the fly...
hill and sharp turn warnings... speed change alarms..

Pops

Boone, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/18 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i lay out my entire trip on my laptop with "microsoft streets & trips-2011", before i begin the trip. then each day i load the rand mcnally gps for the day sometimes a 2 or 3 day route. i also make notes on paper from "street/trip" of the hwys i'll be traveling that day or 2. with that and following road signs and common sense/feel, i've managed pretty good

2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Which RV GPS Do You Use?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS