cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting observation

trtog7
Explorer
Explorer
We travel south in the winter Do not feel we are true Snowbirds as we do not stay at one campground for very long
Have noticed that some campground/resorts we go to are very friendly and ask us to join their activities, others are very welcoming until they realize you are only there for a short period and then ignore you and then there are the resorts that ignore you altogether and do not even wave.
Human nature at its finest
29 REPLIES 29

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
BarbaraOK wrote:

And on the reverse, the minute we moved into our park model we found a chill I. The air from RVers parked around us. Pleasant, but really at arms length. When we arrive in the fall we usually have the MH on a site for 2-5 days while we unload and people coming in in the RVs are friendly. But within a week the chill settles over. Really strange.

Barb, I find that quite strange given the VVV/Fiesta/Ranchos is mostly park models! Maybe you should move out farther East to Cal-Am's friendliest RV Resort. Lots are larger and park is smaller to boot.

Send me a PM and drive out to Gold Canyon sometime and check it out. We will be here until late April.

Chris

You havenโ€™t been in the Fiesta section for a while, loads of older PM have been removed, lots of RV sites.

Gold Coast is too far out for us, long drive to get to anywhere. Plus the awful traffic during the month of the festival each March. :W

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
we hit some parks that are SO quiet where no one wants to chat ever, they want their personal time 24/7 and that is cool, we were at parks that were overly friendly, where they were intrusive and WE just wanted our quiet time and be left alone ๐Ÿ™‚ and parks where we fit fine, the social level was perfect, contact was timely and not intrusive etc........it will be different everywhere ya go ๐Ÿ™‚
You get the good, the bad and the ugly out there in the world, like another poster said, ya roll with it and move on! Nothing will fit everyone at every single cg ever. Just how it is gonna go down from what we have experienced. Life and human nature.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarbaraOK wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
RGV...ok ... one park...

been here now 2 winters ( 5 months each )... same site with travel trailer.... and met most park model owners..

3 days ago I purchased a used park model.. I have been flooded with new visitors.. aka same park model owners...
so much so, I am having problems getting things done...

way different behavior... nice before.. just not friendly..

And on the reverse, the minute we moved into our park model we found a chill I. The air from RVers parked around us. Pleasant, but really at arms length. When we arrive in the fall we usually have the MH on a site for 2-5 days while we unload and people coming in in the RVs are friendly. But within a week the chill settles over. Really strange.

Barb, I find that quite strange given the VVV/Fiesta/Ranchos is mostly park models! Maybe you should move out farther East to Cal-Am's friendliest RV Resort. Lots are larger and park is smaller to boot.

Send me a PM and drive out to Gold Canyon sometime and check it out. We will be here until late April.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note, the correct spelling is: clique

Figment II

2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:

fyi,
I have a disfigured face... one eye blind and stuck to outside corner.. bald.. very Tall...and a loud voice..**

To me your face and your eye is a non-issue. We would get along just fine. I am hard of hearing so your loud voice would be perfect for me.

Also I worked full time for 43 years at three different careers, military, retail manager, and retired from LEO. I commend you on 43 years at the same work place and the longevity with your spouse. I married my childhood sweetheart and we are still together.

If we met at a CG, I am sure the conversations would be interesting and of great length.

Lakeside

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
I guess I never really noticed that, but then I always think I'm a good judge of character. I choose who I want to be kind and friendly too. If I sense they're a butt head, I just wave them off and move on. Life is just too short and there are just way too many nice places and people to waste my time and effort on butt heads.

You are right though, there are a few parks that are full of butt heads that are very clicky once you stay long enough to get into their "inner" circle (so as to hear them back stab others in the park.)

Honestly, I feel sorry for them. This is supposedly their golden years, and they're wasting them on things that we grew out of in High School.

As the younger kids say "haters, just want to hate." Just like water on a ducks back, let it roll off.

Well said and I agree with your comments.

Lakeside

X-3

My experience also, if your towing/renting you are not in the 'INNER CIRCLE'.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
people, you can not live with them. and can not live without them

click groups can not be trusted.
people in clubs can not be trusted.

in 66 years..
I have found any 'Group'.. if you do not "FIT" you are not worthy.

fyi,
I have a disfigured face... one eye blind and stuck to outside corner.. bald.. very Tall...and a loud voice.
and worked a full time job for 43 years.

but I have a loving wife of 44 years.
** to the Mod's of the forum.. you may delete this post.. for any reason.**

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
I guess I never really noticed that, but then I always think I'm a good judge of character. I choose who I want to be kind and friendly too. If I sense they're a butt head, I just wave them off and move on. Life is just too short and there are just way too many nice places and people to waste my time and effort on butt heads.

You are right though, there are a few parks that are full of butt heads that are very clicky once you stay long enough to get into their "inner" circle (so as to hear them back stab others in the park.)

Honestly, I feel sorry for them. This is supposedly their golden years, and they're wasting them on things that we grew out of in High School.

As the younger kids say "haters, just want to hate." Just like water on a ducks back, let it roll off.

Well said and I agree with your comments.

Lakeside

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
trtog7 wrote:
We travel south in the winter Do not feel we are true Snowbirds as we do not stay at one campground for very long
Have noticed that some campground/resorts we go to are very friendly and ask us to join their activities, others are very welcoming until they realize you are only there for a short period and then ignore you and then there are the resorts that ignore you altogether and do not even wave.
Human nature at its finest

Ironic, as we experienced similar last year. We traveled, staying usually no more than a week to 10 days at any one location, looking for nothing in particular, except maybe somewhere we might want to stay 2-3 months at one sitting. Most folks were kind and friendly.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I think what we're reading and what I've seen is parks come in all flavors. Some parks are full of one time mobile RV FT'ers that just had to call it quits. Other parks are full of retiree's that came to visit a friend, and then bought a park model because they had such a good time.

The two extremes don't always act or behave the same way toward transients. For me, I'll take the one time mobile RV'ers any day of the week. Makes for way more interesting pot lucks. :B
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We live in the south and spend our summers in the north. Until last year, we had a Class C Motorhome that we'd spend all summer at the same campground which has probably about 75% seasonal. We have been in the same site for the last 3 years. Most of the campers are very friendly and our neighbors are great. We've become good friends with several of them even if they are old enough to be our parents. Some have grand kids the same age as our kids.

Last year we traded the Motorhome in for a Destination Trailer. It is amazing how many more people we met as a result. People that never more than waved to us as they passed, would actually stop and chat with us. Even away from our site, they'd see us and talk, at first about the new TT and then just about whatever.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
RGV...ok ... one park...

been here now 2 winters ( 5 months each )... same site with travel trailer.... and met most park model owners..

3 days ago I purchased a used park model.. I have been flooded with new visitors.. aka same park model owners...

Figment II

2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
RGV...ok ... one park...

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Almot wrote:
trtog7 wrote:

others are very welcoming until they realize you are only there for a short period

This is normal.
Try and imagine yourself in their position - when you are "living" there, you are a "resident", possibly with annual lease, while the rest are "tourists", they come and go.

Exactly, do you really want to try and develop a deep personal connection only to have them leave in 2 days never to return?

Nothing new here. It goes all the way back to the stone age. When small bands were traveling the Savannah, if you saw a stranger, you treated them with suspicion until they made the effort to become part of the community.

If they are being rude, that's one thing but to not fall all over themselves to invite you into their group is normal and reasonable. You are the one choosing not to join their group.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV