Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I may NEED to live in my RV fulltime.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> I may NEED to live in my RV fulltime.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
jesseannie

BOISE IDAHO

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are renting an apartment in Boise, ID. The rent is nearly 40% of my retirement income we are able to do that OK because I currently work a part time job. But the time is coming when I may not be able to work or just don't want to.
The big blow came yesterday when we heard that the rent at our complex will go up 17% at the end of our term. This will put the monthly payment out of our range even with my work income. Boise is an expensive city to live in and because of national attention is now unaffordable for us.
I don't need any lectures about how I should have planned for retirement better, sometimes unforseen things happen to even the best planning.
It is what it is.
We are assessing our options and one may be to live full time in our rig and work camp and find seasonal jobs on the road.
I have a lot of talents and I am in great physical condition. I have had a few seasonal gigs and enjoy that, so it will just be another adventure for us.
Jesseannie

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for it! We've met many work campers over the years that went this way both forced or by choice. A chance to see more of the country for almost nothing. When we finish seeing all the places we want to see we'll probably do the same.

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So long as you don't plan to live in Boise in the winter in an RV, should be okay if you can tolerate the space.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

TNGW1500SE

Oliver Springs TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp in a mild climate.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think your plan will greatly improve your quality of life from getting by to enjoying life. If you don't enjoy it you can always settle down in a lower cost area. A lot of people dream about the day that they can do what you purpose.

Remember you have a Mountain Chalet, lakeside cabin, beachfront resort all in one RV.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Survival today doen't give you a tomorrow. Age, health and a nest egg are the things that get in the way if you are not on top of them. Leaving a part time job would seem an option.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2015 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
Lifes short enough without bitch'n about it!

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having lived in a 32' 5th wheel rv trailer for one winter here in northern OK with zero temps and 40 mph wind.....buy a mobile home made for cold country if its full time and no travel plans.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brother currently lives in an old Class A. He likes it okay but not in the winter. He house sits for people and spends a month or so in Palmm Springs with my Dad. He built a permanent building next to it with a great view and lots of glass. He calls it the tea house.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone just assumes living in a RV is cheap living- it is not! The best plan for entering full time RVing is to have a stronger exit strategy than an entrance strategy.

For the OP with limited income and presumably limited resources is using every available resource and income to get into RVing leaves you nothing when you can no longer live in that RV. For you life situation, I would strongly consider moving to an area with a lower cost of living or at least moving into housing that costs less.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Everyone just assumes living in a RV is cheap living- it is not! The best plan for entering full time RVing is to have a stronger exit strategy than an entrance strategy.

For the OP with limited income and presumably limited resources is using every available resource and income to get into RVing leaves you nothing when you can no longer live in that RV. For you life situation, I would strongly consider moving to an area with a lower cost of living or at least moving into housing that costs less.

This.

And keep working as long as you are able, to get on a more sound financial footing.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> I may NEED to live in my RV fulltime.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS