cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip to Alaska!

Canadian_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Received our 2018 copy of The Milepost in the mail today!

Let the planning begin!
Denis&Susan
French River, Ontario, Canada
2018 RAM Eco-Diesel 1500, 4 x 4, Crew Cab
2016 Evergreen I-Go Cloud 184RB
8 REPLIES 8

KarlV
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
That sounds like a great plan. We did the big triangle in August/September 2016, took the Alaska Hwy/Hwy 97 northwest from Dawson Creek and entered at Alcan, then Tok, then Delta Junction to Fairbanks. Then from there south to Denali, and on to Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula, and Homer. You can camp on the Homer Spit for a few bucks, no hookups, but your're right in Katchemak Bay. The scenery is pretty intense in most of Alaska. Take your time.
After that we toured around Palmer/Wasilla and then back out via the Glenn Hwy to Tok, and towards Canada again.
We considered trying the Cassiar Hwy coming back, but we were time constrained and needed to pick up the pace, so we returned to Edmonton, then south along the main highway to Calgary, Lethbridge, and exited at Sweetgrass into Montana.
It was a great trip. I'mm planning on doing it again, as soon as we're able to travel.
Next time, I'd like to try the Haul Road for a ways. Maybe to the Arctic Circle near Wiseman.

We drove the haul road all the way to Prudhoe Bay back in about 2003, in a 28' Bigfoot. It wasn't bad, but you have to take it easy and slow down when a big truck is coming your way. If you don't, they won't, and you can end up losing your windshield. The only real problem with that road is that there are no services once you get past Coldfoot until you reach Deadhorse.

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
We will be starting our 4th trip to Alaska around mid-April. Have to stop in Saskatoon for 3 weeks to see the grandchildren inroute.

Just ordered 2 copies of the Milepost. I use one copy to read about the next days travel, then cut out the appropriate pages from the second book. It is much easier for my wife to read the loose pages than trying to handle the complete book.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like a great plan. We did the big triangle in August/September 2016, took the Alaska Hwy/Hwy 97 northwest from Dawson Creek and entered at Alcan, then Tok, then Delta Junction to Fairbanks. Then from there south to Denali, and on to Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula, and Homer. You can camp on the Homer Spit for a few bucks, no hookups, but your're right in Katchemak Bay. The scenery is pretty intense in most of Alaska. Take your time.
After that we toured around Palmer/Wasilla and then back out via the Glenn Hwy to Tok, and towards Canada again.
We considered trying the Cassiar Hwy coming back, but we were time constrained and needed to pick up the pace, so we returned to Edmonton, then south along the main highway to Calgary, Lethbridge, and exited at Sweetgrass into Montana.
It was a great trip. I'mm planning on doing it again, as soon as we're able to travel.
Next time, I'd like to try the Haul Road for a ways. Maybe to the Arctic Circle near Wiseman.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Canadian_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:
The Milepost is about 98% accurate. What is it that you guys like to see in Alaska and are you also trying to keep your expenses down? Post what you would like to see,eats, etc. Then others can chine in with suggestions. I had find French, Canada since I didn't know where in Canada it was at and did a route from your place to Tok Alaska on Google Earth. It showed the routing going down through the USA first before heading back up to Canada and on to Tok, Alaska.

Weโ€™re planning on leave no mid-June with no particular time frame. Weโ€™ll be travelling north through the rest of Ontario, following Lake Superior, then west through the Canadian Provinces... Drumheller area, Calgary, then starting north. Banff, Jasper etc, into the Yukon, west to Alaska, and back down through British Columbia, Vancouver Island, into Washington, Oregon, Montana and heading east through North Dakota etc...

We also have the CAA/AAA books and maps.
Denis&Susan
French River, Ontario, Canada
2018 RAM Eco-Diesel 1500, 4 x 4, Crew Cab
2016 Evergreen I-Go Cloud 184RB

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed at Sweetgrass, MT. Painless and not too far to Banff, Lake Louise, and the Icefields Parkway.

Banff was beautiful and worth the visit.

View from our campsite at Banff

Elk beside our camper at Banff

Lake Louise the 3rd week of May 2017

Lakeside

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to bring along a sign to add to the "forest" in Watson Lake, YT.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We received our Mile Post last week. We plan on leaving Texas Around the first of April and drifting north to Alaska. Havenโ€™t decided yet where to cross in to Canada.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
The Milepost is about 98% accurate. What is it that you guys like to see in Alaska and are you also trying to keep your expenses down? Post what you would like to see,eats, etc. Then others can chine in with suggestions. I had find French, Canada since I didn't know where in Canada it was at and did a route from your place to Tok Alaska on Google Earth. It showed the routing going down through the USA first before heading back up to Canada and on to Tok, Alaska.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog