cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boondocking tips on the way from Denver to Alaska

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling in the US we like to boondock as much as possible to keep the costs down. (I’m using “boondock” here to mean free camping, which would include Walmart parking lots.) I’m wondering about the availability of places to boondock if we drive from Denver, cross into Canada from Montana, head up to Dawson Creek and continue on the Alaska highway. Any tips on how to find free or low cost camping?
45 REPLIES 45

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then why were you still making posts on 9/3?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
You seem to have your mind made up already. There is a conflict between "driving up for the scenery" and "camping in Wal-Mart parking lots." Except for Los Anchorage there won't be any.

Alaska is far, really far. A lot of the roads are not that interesting. I have driven from Haines to Anchorage through the Yukon which was a pleasant trip.
You seem to have missed my post from August 31 which started out "We're back from our trip to Alaska."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You seem to have your mind made up already. There is a conflict between "driving up for the scenery" and "camping in Wal-Mart parking lots." Except for Los Anchorage there won't be any.

Alaska is far, really far. A lot of the roads are not that interesting. I have driven from Haines to Anchorage through the Yukon which was a pleasant trip.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
My honest adivce after making more than 10 trips to Alaska, is to consider the State Ferry or flying up there and renting a truck camper if cost is a consideration.
Our top priority for this trip was to enjoy the scenery as we drove the Alaska highway and into Skagway. We rode the ferry on a previous trip and rented a truck camper on another.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Anchorage: all 3 Walmart's no overnight parking period.
Fairbank's: stay as long as you want

Couple more corrections based on current conditions.

One Walmart in Anchorage does allow 24 hour stay if you ask - despite all the no overnighting signs. AND same applies to most other Walmarts with similar signs posted. Just ask nicely)
(btw, Cabekas has signs allowing RVs to stay for two nights (and also tolerates 5 car campers who come late afternoon)
Walmart Whitehorse has been cracking down over the last few days, although the tow truck was scratchung his head over how to deal with a big fiver and tow truck with all the jacks down, and a 30 foot mh with a missing front wheel and all jacks down. Other semi-permanentd just shuffled around ti different spots do doubt whether much will change. A few who had move or get towed notices posted have moved on.

Agree with Hedgehopper - campfires are the last thing i would be seeking out.

The journey is our destination so driving up is not a problem to us, especially since we are rarely in a hurry
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My honest adivce after making more than 10 trips to Alaska, is to consider the State Ferry or flying up there and renting a truck camper if cost is a consideration.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Do whatever you want.
If you are asking for advice, expect to hear some.
You're right. Thanks for your input. Hearing from someone whose perspective is quite different from my own is helpful.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do whatever you want.
If you are asking for advice, expect to hear some.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
If you are driving from the Lower 48 to Alaska and are using well know sites listed in a guide somewhere you are missing the whole point of making that trip. If you are camping in Wal Mart parking lots, it is even more confusing as to why you would make such a trip.

When I drve up North I look for campfire smoke. That is one of the ways to meet families of Natives smoking fish for their dog teams, trappers, and other bush types.
Have you ever heard the expression “Difference strokes for different folks”? You believe that I am “missing the whole point of making that trip.” But what is the point? Isn’t it to have an enjoyable time? More than likely, your enjoyable trip looks totally different than mine. Sorry you’re confused.

You look for campfire smoke as a way of meeting the natives. Perhaps you missed my comment that I am allergic to campfire smoke. So for you: wonderful! For me: not so much.

Speaking of wonderful: Isn’t it wonderful that each of us is free to plan our trip the way we want and need not be concerned with the other one’s preferences?

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
hedgehopper wrote:
When traveling in the US we like to boondock as much as possible to keep the costs down. (I’m using “boondock” here to mean free camping, which would include Walmart parking lots.) I’m wondering about the availability of places to boondock if we drive from Denver, cross into Canada from Montana, head up to Dawson Creek and continue on the Alaska highway. Any tips on how to find free or low cost camping?

I don't call staying at Walmart "camping" it's just a overnight sleeping spot, that said we just recently came out of Alaska and Canada and some of the rules at Walmart have changed.

Anchorage: all 3 Walmart's no overnight parking period.
Fairbank's: stay as long as you want
Dawson Creek: we found a nice hide away approx. 10 miles up the Campbell gravel road.
Whitehorse, Canada one night allowed at the Walmart..note there's a RV dump at the fuel station next to the Walmart.
Dawson City,Canada Beautiful overnight spot up on Dome Road just outside of town, note FDS fuel stop nearest to Dawson City has the cheapest fuel.
Plenty of pullout through the Kluane Lake area in Canada.

As you approach bridges check for side roads leading down to the rivers found several good camping place that way.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are driving from the Lower 48 to Alaska and are using well know sites listed in a guide somewhere you are missing the whole point of making that trip. If you are camping in Wal Mart parking lots, it is even more confusing as to why you would make such a trip.

When I drve up North I look for campfire smoke. That is one of the ways to meet families of Natives smoking fish for their dog teams, trappers, and other bush types.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"As an after thought, there's a campground that's about $16/night with showers, dump station, but no hookups in Tok, called the Alaskan Stove Campground."

Just a minor correction. This campground does have electric hookups.

As for those anti-Walmart-overnighting people. Get over it. If you want to pay $40 or more to spend 8 hours sleeping during transit stages, that is your decision to make.

In addition to all the $ we saved, we enjoyed the lack of crowds, noise, campfire smoke, mosquitoes, and checkout times.

Nailed it in one sentence.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
whatever happened to exploring and finding your own way?
Canada and Alaska are one big place to camp once you get away from the border.
Finding a place to camp is the easiest thing in the world.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
tony lee wrote:
Basic rule is to be safely parked at least two hours before dark so anyone driving around in the dark is pretty much in self-inflicted trouble.

You'd be driving around late if you wait until dark in summer in Alaska! 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel