cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel with Cats

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to try and take our cats with us on trips this year and have been "cat proofing" the MH as best we can. One question I have and wanted to get feedback on is what kind of cat litter do you use? I tried some of the clay mix in the RV yesterday while acclimating the cats to the MH and the few times they were in and out of the box, litter was getting tracked all over. I have read about corn, coconut husks, walnut shells, etc, but cant seem to fine one that is really recommended over the other for various reasons. For those who travel with cats, what have you found that works best? Thanks for the help,
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System
15 REPLIES 15

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Actually - the cats have taken to the litter boxes without any issues. Do hear a lot more scratching around due to the pellets. It is also great to now be able to walk around the floors barefoot and not have cat litter stuck to your feet, regardless of how often you vacuum :). Another upside is the ease to clean the box. Real happy with the choice.
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Cats don't like their litter changing. I would use the same thing you use at home.
A small cordless vac will take care of what they track around.

X2
Ray

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
So - after all the info and research, we opted to go with the Tidy Cat Breeze pellet and mat system to totally replace bentonite, clay litter. We have 2 cats, so got three units and placed them in the house in the same locations as old boxes. Cats are now using the pellet litter and it does make a big difference. There is zero dust, no litter being tracked around (and yes, we have specific made for litter catching mats on all boxes and it was still tracked everywhere), and no odor. Super easy to clean. You know the cat is n the box when you do hear all the racket being made when pushing the pellets around, though, but not a bid deal. Some people say these are expensive litter systems to maintain, but I don't see it that much more than what it costs if you buy high end clay litter.The litter box itself is a one time expense that is more than your general litter container. So next trip out, the litter box will go under the dinette when traveling and in front of the passenger seat when parked. As a side note, if you use your shower basin for your litter box, the size of these pellets will not go down the drain. Again - thanks for all the comments.
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to say thanks to all who responded to my post. We ended up going wit the Tidy Cats Breeze pellet system litter box for our two cats. Reasons: zero dust, total system weight about 7 pounds, easy cleanup. Odor does not seem to be an issue after talking to people who have used this system for quite some time. Our plan is to place the litter box in front of the passenger seat when stopped and under the dinette when traveling. Cats are having t adjust to the "feel" of the pellets vs clay litter, and I will have to say they are not overjoyed at the difference. But, they are using the boxes now. If they were new cats or kittens, adjustment would be no issue, I think.
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
When we went to AK with our catt spike, we used whatever it was that COSTCO sold at the time. Our rig at that time had a bathtub/shower and the litter box went in there. I put an artificial turf carpet under the litter box. Spike was only 16 years old at the time and was quite happy for the ten week we traveled up and back.

He would even enter the rv on his own when we were loading rather than be home with every other day play time with our eldezt daughter.

He only whet outside when we were loading, he didn't like being alone.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Karanavore
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a camp host. I work 6 months out of the year and I bring "Camper Kitty" for the duration. I use the "Breeze" litter system because I have to keep the litter box in the shower pan. Breeze has a tray you place a pad in to catch the urine. The litter is a larger pellet-type that doesn't go down the drain. It can be expensive but I stock up for the year at Petsmart's sales where you buy 2 (litter/pads), get 1 free.

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
My cat,Pogo,has about 50,000 miles on him traveling in a small mh and tc. I use (he uses,actually) horse bedding from Tractor Warehouse. About $8 for fifty pounds. No smell,no tracking. Pogo would certainly give it a thumbs up if he had a thumb.

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the recommendations so far. Lots to think about.
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use cat litter any more. One day, I got the bright idea to put a dog disposable pee pad in the litter box to help with cleaning. I only put a couple of cups of cat litter in the cat box. I gradually reduced the cat litter over a two week period. Now, I only use the pee pads. I love the Hartz lavender scented ones. I have no cat litter odor and no tracking of litter. I change the pads twice a day. Since they are plastic lined underneath, all I have to do is pick them up and put them in the trash.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We use Fresh Step Clumping at home and in the camper.

Our cat gets motion sickness, so the initial 20 - 30 minutes, the cat and litter box are in the shower stall with the glass door latched. After he's finished with his barfing, his pooing, and his peeing (and now, IN the litter box), he's OK to come forward with us (in the truck)... we have a TT. After the first 30 minutes he's perfectly OK then.

If we get out of the truck, we always take him back to the shower in the camper, so he's easier to get back out when we hit the road again.

Once at the camp ground, the cat litter comes out. We have one spot that works well for us, and we usually keep a run under the litter pan so the litter won't spread too far. A good broom and a good vacuum are 2 good friends to travel with you.

Once at the camp site, I always take the cat outside, on a short leash and walk him around as I carry him. He get's so petrified at the new surroundings, he wants to go back into the camper and then, the rest of the time there, he has no desire to try to get outside.

If he does get curious, I'll leash him up again for another walk. In just a couple minutes, his curiosity is satisfied, and he's flipping out, can't get back to the camper fast enough.

This works very well for us.

We go through this exercise every day, but we've not lost Mr. Kitty yet. Once he got loose, jumped out the camper door, ran to the edge of the campsite, glared, turned back around and storm troopered back to the door. It was open and he bolted back in and hid in his cubby hole.

Yet at home, he will come and go from the camper with no problem at all. He actually enjoys the camper. Many times at home, he'll be sitting on the camper step, saying ... "Hey Dad! Let me inside! There's a litter pan in there calling my number!" ... pun intended!

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Teach them to use the toilet...

Kitty Trainer
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would stick with clay. I haven't been impressed with walnut shells, etc. If anyone has asthma, the slightest allergy to nuts, etc., and the walnut shells can aggravate it horribly.

As suggested, just use a small vac or whisk broom, etc., as needed.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Our cat could care less what's in his box when he has to go.

We use Slide (Arm and Hammer?) litter. Cleans up easier and doesn't seem to track as much as some of the others we've tried. It's a bit spendy.

We also put pieces of carpets/foor mats near the box "entrance" to try to get him to shed the litter on his feet before he gets too far from the box, which is near the side entry door.
Makes cleaning it up easier. When we stop for rest/food/whatever, I shake the carpet pieces outside while DW does a quick sweep out the side door of the broader litter box area. Quick and painless.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Cider,

We use World's Best both at the house and in the motorhome. We also purchased a large rubber mat to go under the liter box in the motorhome so we can pick it up and shake it out every couple days. The other big plus with World's Best is that it is flushable and yes we have used in our motorhome for several years without problems. Not the cheapest, but very convenient and made from corn.

Hope this helps.