cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Highway 97 to Leavenworth Wa

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
How difficult is driving 35 ft MH from Carson, Wa to Leavenworth, Wa via 97? Low bridges, mountain passes etc.?
13 REPLIES 13

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
thanks much

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
For summer 2-3 day trips fishing. To Yakima then west up White Pass way for stream and lake fishing, lots of choices, Cg's or boondocking. Same up Chinook Pass with several lakes and stream fishing. Both have 100's of spots to drive up and throw a line all but from the car. If you have a small boat the lakes are fished better.

LEN

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Good catch and release on WA 821 in Yakima River Canyon. Check fishing regs as I think it is fly only. Couple great BLM campgrounds in Canyon along with animals.
Lake Wenatchee and Fish lake west of Leavenworth are popular lakes.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Chief, my bro in law retired a CMS at Wright Pat.

If you were driving to Ohio what route would you take? I'm looking at 90 want to avoid as many mountains as possible. Looking at 80 and 70 also but looks to me like 90 is least big mountains.

enblethen wrote:
US 97 is good. Most of US 97 is two lane with some truck lanes.
From Toppenish area to north of Ellensburg, US 97 is also I-84 and I-90.
From around Selah, near the Yakima Firing Range(not bombing range) I would suggest WA 821. It is narrow for some but very scenic following the Yakima River.
There is two passes. Satus Pass is north of Goldendale and Blewett Pass is north of Ellensburg.
Neither are very steep. Going north the downhill portions would be more of a concern as you need to watch speed. Corners come on quick!

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
ppine wrote:
Great road. One of my favorites.

Interesting sites and home made dinners? Where do you stop? We have been to Wa several times but not that part. Leavenworth via seattle.

Fuel stops? In out ease? Anything you think we need to or would want to know about.

Hey Chief, my bro in law retired a CMS at Wright Pat.

If you were driving to Ohio what route would you take? I'm looking at 90 want to avoid as many mountains as possible. Looking at 80 and 70 also but looks to me like 90 is least big mountains.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Back to Carson we are volunteering at Fish hatchery this summer. Love Washington and have been to Leavenworth several times wife loves the Christmas Store me I'm German can't help myself. LOL

What do you recommend for 2/3 days roundtrip from Carson?

I also would like to do some easy Trout water fishing legs, back and knees don't walk far nowadays.

enblethen wrote:
Fuel is less expensive in Ellensburg and Wenatchee then Leavenworth. There is truck stops, Flying j, Loves. Smaller stations have decent set up for larger rigs.
West of Leavenworth is Tumwater Canyon. Very good scenery. Crooked highway with slower speed posted.
Use toad for visiting Leavenworth. There is some parking west end of town on right (north) side of US 2 next to DOT shop. There is park and ride near junctionof US 97 and US 2. About 10 miles east of Leavenworth.
What direction are you going after Leavenworth?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Fuel is less expensive in Ellensburg and Wenatchee then Leavenworth. There is truck stops, Flying j, Loves. Smaller stations have decent set up for larger rigs.
West of Leavenworth is Tumwater Canyon. Very good scenery. Crooked highway with slower speed posted.
Use toad for visiting Leavenworth. There is some parking west end of town on right (north) side of US 2 next to DOT shop. There is park and ride near junctionof US 97 and US 2. About 10 miles east of Leavenworth.
What direction are you going after Leavenworth?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:

Interesting sites and home made dinners? Where do you stop? We have been to Wa several times but not that part. Leavenworth via seattle.

Fuel stops? In out ease? Anything you think we need to or would want to know about.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Thank all of you very much.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've done it several times with no problems, and we're a bit longer than you..Enjoy the scenery.. :)....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
US 97 is good. Most of US 97 is two lane with some truck lanes.
From Toppenish area to north of Ellensburg, US 97 is also I-84 and I-90.
From around Selah, near the Yakima Firing Range(not bombing range) I would suggest WA 821. It is narrow for some but very scenic following the Yakima River.
There is two passes. Satus Pass is north of Goldendale and Blewett Pass is north of Ellensburg.
Neither are very steep. Going north the downhill portions would be more of a concern as you need to watch speed. Corners come on quick!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Highway is a nice drive. Mountain passes? Yup. Sadus pass can be iffy if the weather is bad. The road is generally good though, on the north side it gets twisty. From there on you drop down and climb back out of Yakima valley past the bombing range. The road is mostly 4 lane, but thru the mountains to I90 and then back to 97 north. Expect 3 to 4 hours getting there. From I90 97 is slow going two lane road.
Where are you now? The climb out of the Columbia canyon is long and pretty steap too.