cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How's the quality of the new Rockwood Popups

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I might be in the market for a 2018. Not sure if I'll keep my travel trailer or not.

I'm honestly sick and tired of all the upkeep and maintenance, and the high costs of these services. I'm dumping about $1,000 in preventive and maintenance costs per year, in addition to the expensive plates, and insurance costs. I figure I'd save about $1,500/year going back to a Pop Up and not have the inconveniences of appliances crappying out when they're needed the most.

Had issues with my refrigerator, water heater, and CO/Propane monitors that I all fixed myself after getting parts. If I had a shop do it, I could see the cost being around another $1,000 for everything.

In my area, only dealers are for Rockwood and Jayco. Not fond of the Jayco design and hate that the lift system is hidden in cabinets and such, where it can't be inspected and repaired easily.

Had a 2005 Rockwood 2290 and it was a huge piece of **** which Forest River offered almost no support while it was in warranty. I ended up trading it off to a Starcraft Pop Up within a year.

So I'm really not wanting either but I'm unwilling to drive 2 or 3 hours to buy another brand and get it serviced by that dealer if any warranty claims come up.

So I'm thinking about Rockwood but with major reservation and caution.

Thanks for you opinions.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.
22 REPLIES 22

Robmoo
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like I just need to keep my 2001 Coleman Niagara. My step-father bought it for me a couple of years ago. It has been a project. I've already painted the exterior ABS pieces with truck bed liner and replaced the roof, cargo hatch, and front storage seals. In-spite of replacing the thermocouple the pilot on the water heater won't stay lit. I think I'll spend the $300 and replace it with a DSI unit. The bunk end-caps are broken. I'm going to buy a sheet of 1" thick HDPE and make my own replacements. Maybe the HDPE parts won't break.

Looking at this camper, if Coleman had spent a couple of hundred dollars more on materials they could have made a much better product. Fiber board instead of ply? ABS plastic on something that is going to sit out in the sun?

I owned a 2001 Starcraft 23RBS hybrid. First they listed the bunks as king and queen when they were queen and full. Next the did a shoddy job of sealing the roof. Why they use the self leveling sealant that cracks in a couple of years instead of something like Eternibond I'll never know. Then when the water got in the wall panels delaminated because they did not use a water resistant glue. The pex fittings were not done correctly so the plumbing leaked. I'll never buy another Starcraft product.

I don't get the impression of RVing as being a growing recreation activity. It is like RV manufacturing companies are going for the high end and squeezing what they can out of the lower end while they allow it to die. What they are forgetting is who is going to bother buying the high end units if they don't have memories of the pop up their family used to camp in when they were kids? This reminds me of how coffee was slowly dying. The major coffee companies over a period of decades replaced the better tasting coffee beans with the cheap bitter beans. Coffee consumption in a long downward trend because younger people weren't drinking coffee because it tasted like a$$. Then stepped in Starbucks to reintroduce people to good coffee and save the industry. Who is going to be the RV industry's Starbucks?
2006 GMC Envoy I6 4x4
1997 Seadoo Speedster twin 85's
2001 Coleman Niagara

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Well, finally got to get out and look at some pop ups I was considering buying. That's the Rockwood Freedom 2280BHESP(really the 2280 I'm wanting to buy), the Rockwood Premier 2516G and 2716G.

Well prices are much higher than I feel they should be considering MSRP and what they are. The 2516G and 2716G are within $500 of each as are the 2280 and 2318G (Freedom Slide out version) that I priced.

The 2516G and 2716G prices are what the dealer is actually asking for a Forest River Bunk House Travel Trailer similar to my Jay Flight 26BH, on their lot. My wife said no way on paying that type of money for a tent on wheels. Remember we had a 12' box pop up already and she knows all the positives and negatives of that Bathroom/shower model, Starcraft 2406. The Freedom models were only about $1000 cheaper than the Premier models while offering a lot less features.

The 2280, 2318G, and 2716G were 2019 models while the 2516G was a 2018 model that I would actually buy, but the models I looked at were 2018 and were all sold except the 2516G.

No one within 3 hours has any Pop Ups for consideration. So this place is it.

I really wasn't expecting such high actual prices so it's actually cheaper for us to keep the travel trailer even with maintenance considered and possibly even off site storage (that I'm against).

So the pop up option seems to be out. Now it's whether I keep the travel trailer or go back to tent camping.

On the Flip side, the quality and build construction were very good on all 3 models I looked at, the 2280BHESP, 2516G, and the 2716G. Much better than the Jaycos and as good as my previous Starcraft 2406. Much, Much better than the 2005 Rockwood Freedom 2290 that I had.

I've also been posting on Pop Up Explorer so don't be surprised if you see this identical response over there.

Thanks everyone for your help.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:
I have a Flagstaff HW 27KS which is a Forest River product. It's a product like any other manufacturer that is built as cheap and as fast as possible. Have had A/C issues and power lift issues, but those were all supplied parts, so can't really fault them.

However, this past summer had some QC issues that had to be dealt with on the road. Had to replace the cheap faucet on the pullout kitchen because it wouldn't stop leaking. inexpensive replacement at the hardware store fixed that.

#2. Water leak behind the wall panel by the hot water heater. Spent a couple of hours removing panels under the cabinet to access the water lines. Couple of proper hose clamps solved that problem. Again..they went at it the cheap way to start with.

#3 The front bunk wall panel started pulling away from the cabinets. Couple of longer wood screws got it nice and tight again.

#4. The rear tire mounting bracket loosened up and started putting a hole in the back wall. Poor design because there is not enough support built into the back wall to properly handle that much weight hanging off the back of the camper. From now on, we will just throw the spare in the back of the truck when we're going down the road.

#5 Entry door has always been a PITA to fit/seal off properly from day 1.

#6 Undersized screws holding on door cabinets. Put some proper screws/nuts on them to keep them tight.

#7 Screws holding the table pole support stripped out, again cutting corners

It is what it is, a cheaply produced camper just like everyone else rolls off their assembly line. You will just need to be able to know a few basic repair skills to keep it functioning properly.

Thanks, what's the model year?

Don't get me wrong. We enjoy the camper, it tows well while allowing respectable gas mileage and it gives up plenty of space.

After having looked at almost all brands between RV shows, dealer's lots before we were getting ready to buy and people on this webiste, quality control and cutting corners isn't limited strictly to a Forest River product, but it is an industry wide plague.

Everybody makes a product as cheaply as possible while farming out the "fixes" to either the dealer or the owner. I wouldn't specifically rule out another Forest River product when we get ready to replace this camper, but I have a better idea of what to expect in the future.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

soren
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like you got your answer about quality, as in, it no longer exists. As for "I might just go back to tenting". How about meeting in the middle. Twice over the last two decades I spent very little for a used, nearly option free, Starcraft pop-up in excellent condition. In both cases I did very little to maintain them, got a year of use out of them, then sold them the next spring for exacly what they cost me.

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
Torque flex axles put all the axle load at 1 point on the frame instead of 2 points with leaf springs
Torque flex axles do not distribute load on tandem setups so 1 tire takes it all over uneven terrain
A leaf sprung system is more robust
Something about my camper held up by rubber bands?

A few off the top of my head.
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adam H wrote:

3. Came with Torque Flex axles, I hate them.

Reason/s?

The Torflex axles our 2017 Roo are one of the positives IMO over the previous two hybrids we owned that had conventional suspension. It tows/rides exceptionally better.

Perhaps the axles used on the popup are too close to the capacity?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
patperry2766 wrote:
I have a Flagstaff HW 27KS which is a Forest River product. It's a product like any other manufacturer that is built as cheap and as fast as possible. Have had A/C issues and power lift issues, but those were all supplied parts, so can't really fault them.

However, this past summer had some QC issues that had to be dealt with on the road. Had to replace the cheap faucet on the pullout kitchen because it wouldn't stop leaking. inexpensive replacement at the hardware store fixed that.

#2. Water leak behind the wall panel by the hot water heater. Spent a couple of hours removing panels under the cabinet to access the water lines. Couple of proper hose clamps solved that problem. Again..they went at it the cheap way to start with.

#3 The front bunk wall panel started pulling away from the cabinets. Couple of longer wood screws got it nice and tight again.

#4. The rear tire mounting bracket loosened up and started putting a hole in the back wall. Poor design because there is not enough support built into the back wall to properly handle that much weight hanging off the back of the camper. From now on, we will just throw the spare in the back of the truck when we're going down the road.

#6 Undersized screws holding on door cabinets. Put some proper screws/nuts on them to keep them tight.

It is what it is, a cheaply produced camper just like everyone else rolls off their assembly line. You will just need to be able to know a few basic repair skills to keep it functioning properly.

I would fault them. Despite a rash of failing Dometic AC units sometime back for a long period of time, they continued to be used. Once it leaves the factory it's no longer the manufacturers problem. It's your problem, Dometics problem, or the dealers problem. They use the Alfred E Neuman method of manufacture......what me worry?....Hence the cleverly worded component clause in the warranty docs.

As far as #2, Forest River has a nasty habit of using pex fittings in the wrong application. They take a pex 90, attach pex with a pex crimp to one leg, and pvc flexible tube to the other with a pex crimp also. A pex fitting is not a barbed fitting and a pex crimp is not designed for flexible pvc tubing. Why do they leak? And eventually they will all leak. Every one eventually did in our 17 Rockwood Roo.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stumps wrote:
Mike,

as someone who really appreciated the quality of two previous Jayco popups, this is sad news indeed. So Jayco will now become the Thor of Class C motorhomes - ugh.

too bad, as we were considering them for a hybrid, but looks like Rockwood may be the way to go.

I still like the quality of the new Clippers.

Perhaps Coachmen has cleaned up the quality of the clippers in recent years.
? You would have to prove that one. A few years back horror stories abounded over at Popupportal.com when it came to new Coachmen Clippers.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:

Thanks, what's the model year?

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Stumps
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,

as someone who really appreciated the quality of two previous Jayco popups, this is sad news indeed. So Jayco will now become the Thor of Class C motorhomes - ugh.

too bad, as we were considering them for a hybrid, but looks like Rockwood may be the way to go.

I still like the quality of the new Clippers.
popups sold. searching for my next camper

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Went and looks at the 2018 Jayco 12UD. What a piece of garbage. Even the salemans said he recommends against them because they went so down hill.

We opened one, and no straps, we could barely get the bunk out with each of us pulling on one corner. No straps like my other campers.

I went in after only getting one bunk board pulled out and of course, no bunk privacy curtain as I feared, and the stove was so low, it was at my knees. What a disgrace. Jayco should be ashamed and even the salesman agreed.

Then we couldn't get the roof down. Saleman sat on the roof and jumped until the roof was low enough to latch.

Oh yeh, before trying to get the roof down, bunk boards were misaligned, and tarp was ripped in several areas. Roof was misaligned and scraping off caulking on the corners. JUNK!!!

Next stop is Rockwood. VIking dealer has no pop ups at all. Clipper dealer only has 2285 or a 108. Funny no pop ups are sold by any dealers (except the Jaycos) but the ones at the border of Chicago. Guess they can't fit those big mobile homes. ๐Ÿ™‚

Really thinking my next trailer will be a Rockwood Freedom 2280 or 2280BHESP.

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
You're kidding, right? After all the PUP bashing and you're going back?
Is PAThwacker next?

Joking aside, I went back 3 years ago and have been happy with my decision.
Who cares where the dealer is, we all know how warranty work goes or doesn't go.
Oh, and sorry you had leaky PUPS, I've never had to experience that frustration with any of mine.

Friend of mine got a 2015 Rockwood HW296 and I think it was built as well as any other unit, nothing special. A few things I didn't like though that my Fleetwood did better.
1. The power lift system sounded like a garbage disposal. Don't set up during quiet hours.
2. Had to remove the travel door and stow it. This is minor but a PITA.
3. Came with Torque Flex axles, I hate them.
4. Super dark interior.
Nice unit otherwise.
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Yeh, I was going to got go with a clipper or Viking but each dealer is 2 hours away. If I need warranty work, driving 2 hours isn't something I can do. I did it before but have no where near the time to do it. Palomino stopped making pop ups and my other close dealer stopped selling pop ups all together.

I'm really thinking about just going back to tent camping. I shouldn't have to worry about everything being so cheaply made when they're charging such high prices. I really loved my Starcraft, just not the leaky Aqualon tarp it had. Leaked at all bunkend corners and why I got rid of it. BUT the camper itself was a very quality unit. Wish I had it back as I'd just replace the tarp with Bear Creak canvas which is fairly cheap around $1,000 for an entire camper.