cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New queen mattress

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ready to upgrade our mattress. Our TT has a full size (60x80) queen mattress but it is super soft. We have lots of extra payload capacity in both the trailer and our TV so weight is not a major concern. However the mattress sits right at the front of the trailer so it will add more hitch weight and I’ll need to take that into account when I pack.

I have read all kinds of articles about mattresses and compared to a house mattress it seems these are the major considerations.

1. Weight (not a concern)
2. Flexibility - make sure it fits in the doorway and can get into the bedroom. Does this rule out an inner spring mattress?
3. Moisture - some mattresses don’t handle the wide swings in moisture found in an RV.

The one thing we need is a mattress on the firm side, and preferably one that the whole thing doesn’t move when one person rolls over. We aren’t big people but we’re used to a king size mattress at home so it’s been poor quality sleeping on this super soft, flimsy, tiny queen mattress that jiggles whenever anyone so much as breathes.

Thanks for any tips.
17 REPLIES 17

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Was just at the Original Mattress Factory this morning. Looked like very good quality with options on the degree of firmness. They will make a short Queen in all but their foam products. The prices also seemed good.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:
Instead of replacing our new OE hard mattress, we added a 3 inch thick memory foam topper. Good support and no shaking when we turn over.

Yep, this is what we did, too. Been fine for 2 years, now.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
We love memory foam. We have a nice foam mattress at home and an affordably priced one in the camper. Costco has a good return policy, so you can return the mattress if you don't like it. I don't find that laying on a mattress in a store is truly representative of how you'll feel after sleeping on a mattress. I have a pinched nerve in my back. While I can lay comfortably for a little while on just about anything, sleeping for 8 hours on a poorly supportive mattress will ruin my day.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a mattress store and look around. Try them out 1st. Just like clothes. Everyone's different.

ret_usn
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know if you have one there but we went to "the original mattress factory". you can try displays and they custom make to whatever size. They can also Put a hinge in the middle. you cannot feel the hinge. We love ours. We have a sleep number at home but this one is comfortable.
2004 R Vision Trail Lite
2003 F150 Super Crew

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Instead of replacing our new OE hard mattress, we added a 3 inch thick memory foam topper. Good support and no shaking when we turn over.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
...your best bet would be to visit a mattress retailer and try out a few. Sorry, I've never heard of anyone worrying about moisture or weight when selecting a mattress for RV use, I'd bet the manufacturers don't either, and I know I sure wouldn't. 😉

DItto on all the above.

Pick the one you like at your favorite store.
Bob

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these on soft side one firm.
https://www.mattressinsider.com/luxury-rv-mattress-memory-foam.html
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
rvshrinker wrote:
Ready to upgrade our mattress. Our TT has a full size (60x80) queen mattress but it is super soft. We have lots of extra payload capacity in both the trailer and our TV so weight is not a major concern. However the mattress sits right at the front of the trailer so it will add more hitch weight and I’ll need to take that into account when I pack.

I have read all kinds of articles about mattresses and compared to a house mattress it seems these are the major considerations.

2. Flexibility - make sure it fits in the doorway and can get into the bedroom. Does this rule out an inner spring mattress?
3. Moisture - some mattresses don’t handle the wide swings in moisture found in an RV.

The one thing we need is a mattress on the firm side, and preferably one that the whole thing doesn’t move when one person rolls over. We aren’t big people but we’re used to a king size mattress at home so it’s been poor quality sleeping on this super soft, flimsy, tiny queen mattress that jiggles whenever anyone so much as breathes.

Thanks for any tips.

Memory Foam Mattress. You will NOT feel it when one person rolls over. I'm in the same boat as you. Mattress in my trailer is the original I'm sure (I'm not the original trailer owner). I've been doing a lot of research on mattresses. I have a top-of-the-line Tempur pedic at home and looking to duplicate it as closely as possible without breaking the bank. H E R E - Zinus Ultima is what I found. I need a short queen and this will fit in to where it needs to go (rear slide out). They have a regular queen size.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our original with the following: Sam’s Club 8” Night Therapy Total Comfort Premium Memory Foam Mattress-Queen item 186150.

We've been using it since 9/2012 and prefer it to a sleep number that we had in the house. We now have replaced the sleep number mattress with the same 186150 in 2018.

Points to note: flexible and easy to move, about $250 with shipping so it doesn't break the bank, length can be cut down with a serrated knife if you have a short queen in the RV, no partner interference while sleeping, no electricity needed so it's great for boondocking. It does get a bit firmer when cold (30-40 degrees) but not an issue. I weigh 235 lbs.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
rvshrinker wrote:

Thanks for any tips.

Our Creek Side came with a horrible mattress. And I have to say I never really gave any concern to the weight. That was irresponsible on my part.........too late now! Never worried about flexibility as the mattress maker(local mattress factory)delivered and installed the mattress and hauled the old one away! There is dang little I can do about moisture except try and manage it while the trailer is dormant in the driveway. We keep Dri-Z-Air in a few places to do that. I actually think a de-humidifier would be great........then the trailer needs to be plugged in.........I'd have to disconnect my batteries......then come up with a means of maintaining a little trickle on them......Too much for my little brain when there's fun things to do!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
www.verlo.com
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

The_Owl
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely recommend trying one out before just buying one blindly from an online retailer. We bought one from Amazon for our last trailer and it was better than the stock mattress but definitely not one we’d buy again. This time we tried several out and ended up at a Box Drop which has a limited supply but found one we liked for about the same cost as Amazon but we could try it first.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
Ready to upgrade our mattress. Our TT has a full size (60x80) queen mattress but it is super soft.

The one thing we need is a mattress on the firm side, and preferably one that the whole thing doesn’t move when one person rolls over.

Thanks for any tips.

One person's dream mattress is another's nightmare and since you're talking a standard size queen it seems to me your best bet would be to visit a mattress retailer and try out a few. Sorry, I've never heard of anyone worrying about moisture or weight when selecting a mattress for RV use, I'd bet the manufacturers don't either, and I know I sure wouldn't. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380