cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of upgrading to a bigfoot. Too big?

huasnaian
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1989 Lance squire 8.6ft camper that I carry on my 2001 ram 3500 DRW. I take this camper on quite a few forest service roads and lots of blm land. So far I have not had any problems getting stuck or being too big going off pavement. Exploring dirt roads is a high priority for me. I also carry a dual sport motorcycle on a front hitch mounted carrier. With my Lance and bike I am about 22ft long.

I live in California and have traveled mostly in the warm western US. I have been longing for a 4 season camper that I could explore further during the cold months and eventually make an Alaska trip. I really like the fiberglass campers after making some small repairs on my older lance and keeping it watertight.

A friend from out of state wants to get rid of his late 90s Bigfoot 2500 series 10.6ft camper. I am very tempted to buy it as they are hard to find but I am not sure if I should hold out for a 9ft model.I am worried about the extra length of the camper and the extra weight limiting me from some forest roads and blm routes. New length would be 24-25ft and I would gain over 1k lbs.

Does anyone have experience increasing the size of their camper? Did find it harder to park? Did you notice the extra weight?
19 REPLIES 19

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Truck will handle it fine. Only you can decide if it’s too big for your off road situations.
Smaller is better off road, but small is small.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
heres a BF on a dodge standard cab tork lift 20 k& 36 extension showing ground clearance

2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
The 9.6 I had left me feeling a little bit freer to go where I wanted, but I would not want it back compared to the 10.4 I have now. The height was nearly the same (the 10.4 is a 2008 model and is a few inches taller than the 1994 9.6, this due to the Ford cab height change). The reason I like the 10.4 better is the dry bath, and the much superior storage space. The 10.4 has a smaller dinette compared to the 10.6, but we like the rear dinette for the view. Dinettes are never comfortable seating anyway.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
The Bigfoot 10.6e TC are nice and in demand, especially if it has the solar reflective thermopane windows. Buy it and see. The taller height can be dealt with using the same skills you currently use to avoid big branches. If you find the height is truly limiting then you can sell it for what you bought it for.

Our 10.8' full basement camper is ~12.6' high at the AC on our Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4. We have hit only one big branch in the 6 years we explored USFS and BLM primative roads in the Sierra and Cascades. Big branches can be avoided by just looking for them and if big enough to do damage, trimmed back. We carry a chain saw to deal with wind fallen beetle or fire killed trees that block our way out after boondocking for a week. Most small branches leave racing stripes on the side of the camper as it is 100" wide. Width was more of an issue on little used roads vs height.

Rocking can be dealt with by a roadmaster sway bar and driving the bad sections of the road slower in 4 LO. If really an issue a popup might be a better choice for you.

We ran full utilities in the Sierra during the winter due to having a four season camper with a heated basement (that had ducted return air). No need to mess with bottled water, RV antifreeze, and winterize even when below zero at nights. All the non-basement / exposed tank RV's in the ski area at 8,000 feet were winterized. They basically were tent camping inside an RV, despite burning lots of propane. Remote thermometers are useful to determine how low a temperature you can operated in without winterizing. Set a temperature alarm and simply drive back down into the valley if you reach the limits. Then start adding more insulation / window and vent treatments that you can find listed under TC winter camping threads.

The dry bath in the 10.6 is a very nice place to hang wet clothing / equipment as you camp late fall, winter, and early spring. Either the Suction cup hooks or the spring loaded curtain rods give you lots of hanging capacity. Do you really want to be dripped on in the smaller wet bath TC layouts?
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
around 11.6 ft.depending on suspension and tire size up grades

favorite is a Bf 3000 series 1011
second is the 10.6 2500 series
we use ours year round and lots of winter use so the 3000 with its high insulation is our keeper in slightly warmer areas it probably would be a 10.6 0r 10.4
1999 Bigfoot 1011

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
huasnaian wrote:

Do you think I could get away with using anti-freeze in my waste tanks and visit say Yosemite during winter (teens at night and above freezing during the day)?

I've been camping at ski resorts several times with my motorhomes and never did anything to holding tanks.
On motorhomes they just hang under the body with 0 protection.
From what I experienced the "dirt" in water lowers the freezing temperature, while RV with running heater keeps "warm air bubble" around, so in those nights with tens of F never had a problem.
Obviously staying in temperatures below 0 will be different story.
The 4-seasons campers I own dump furnace air into the tank compartment with no return ducting, meaning your warm air goes around the tanks into the woods.
Not my favorite design and I put a valve on the duct going there as I don't like my heat going outside for nothing.
Would I camp i really cold weather, I think some antifreeze would be my favorite. Don't think you need it in black tank at all, just grey water tank.

huasnaian
Explorer
Explorer
54suds wrote:
check out google pix of bf 10.6 side shot /rear they have a very good departure angle because the rear is at truck bed level have had 2, 10.6"s and a 10.5

I agree departure angle is good with BFs. Has your height been a limiting factor with any of your Bigfoot(s)? Looks like you have had a lot of them. What is your favorite model? Why did you stick with a 1999 when you have had newer ones?

huasnaian
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
huasnaian wrote:
However, a 4 season camper would open up a lot more camping opportunities for me. I have a budget of under 10k and can not find an arctic fox or similar in decent shape within my budget.

How much more rocking do you think I would expect compared to my camper?

Rocking is the result of camper COG and truck suspension.
For some time I had basement TC on 4WD and flatbed. That set come over 13' tall. Rocking wasn't that bad, but I could not stand the vision of having tire blow.
Coming to 4-seasons, I think any camper can be used in 4-seasons with adequate supply of propane and electricity.
I read the pop-ups topic, where owners used them in sub-freezing temperatures.
I, on other hand used my campers in 125F weather.
When AC working 24hr a day kept the camper semi-comfortable in the center, opening any cabinet on sunny side was like opening an oven.

I mostly dry camp out in national forests and blm land so electricity is not an option, I do not want to camp with a genny running. I am fine with my propane heater (furnace has been removed from my camper) but I am worried about freezing my black and grey tanks. My black tank touches the metal of the truck bed and has no insulation. I want to be able to shower and use the toilet in the cold and I thought a 4 season camper was my only option.

Do you think I could get away with using anti-freeze in my waste tanks and visit say Yosemite during winter (teens at night and above freezing during the day)?

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
on chev /gmc the difference between a crewcab & a double cab 1s 10 inches wb and makes a huge difference handling
1999 Bigfoot 1011

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the jump seats in back rather than the full doors and seat, then it's the same length as my F350 supercab.

Any basement model is going to be taller than that. The basement is always set above the height of the wheel wells as the floor extends over them. That is the real purpose of the basement (to widen the floor plan), though it does add storage as well. I'm about 10'8" on a 2WD truck with the AC removed.

In a Bigfoot, look for a 1500 series camper. These are their smaller version, without basement and they are a foot shorter. Still a clamshell fiberglass camper with the same quality. As I have always said, the quality of the Bigfoot sucks - it just sucks a lot less than the other brands. If you think you can stand the height snap up your friend's, they aren't easy to find used.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
huasnaian wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Not exact models but having basement/attic Fleetwood, I bought side entrance Lance for driving it across the continent.
Main reason for the switch was condition of Fleetwood, but there is more to bigger height than cleaning forest roads.
High camper has COG higher, so less stabilization, more rocking, more fuel and even it happen only twice on my trip, with Lance I drove under 12' bridges, when basement model would make me driving around the city.
The Hosts I have seen are good for those who appreciate big screens and recliners, so not my kind of camper at all.
Life is always compromise, so make your choice carefully.

Thanks Keyteg1. I could deal with going around bridges but obstacles on dirt roads would be more of a concern. No other easy route if you come across something you can't fit under.

I am a little turned off by extra height because I feel like I am already too tall. I really want a 4 season camper but I would only use it a few times a year currently, compared to my bi-monthly trips around CA. However, a 4 season camper would open up a lot more camping opportunities for me. I have a budget of under 10k and can not find an arctic fox or similar in decent shape within my budget.

Bigfoot’s are very nice campers.
If you’re concerned about giving up your smaller Lance, have you thought about keeping that for off road trips and get the Bigfoot for longer trips.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
check out google pix of bf 10.6 side shot /rear they have a very good departure angle because the rear is at truck bed level have had 2, 10.6"s and a 10.5
1999 Bigfoot 1011

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
huasnaian wrote:
However, a 4 season camper would open up a lot more camping opportunities for me. I have a budget of under 10k and can not find an arctic fox or similar in decent shape within my budget.

Rocking is the result of camper COG and truck suspension.
For some time I had basement TC on 4WD and flatbed. That set come over 13' tall. Rocking wasn't that bad, but I could not stand the vision of having tire blow.
Coming to 4-seasons, I think any camper can be used in 4-seasons with adequate supply of propane and electricity.
I read the pop-ups topic, where owners used them in sub-freezing temperatures.
I, on other hand used my campers in 125F weather.
When AC working 24hr a day kept the camper semi-comfortable in the center, opening any cabinet on sunny side was like opening an oven.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe keep your eyes open for the Bigfoot you want. I found mine on RVT.com. I went from Houston to Maryland for it. I think it had been for sale for awhile. Look in areas that don't have many TC's. Folks out west know what a TC and a Bigfoot are, not too much south and east.
Dang I have a tendency to packrat and would probably stuff a 10.4 to the gills. I been kinda thinking about doing some trading up to one, but not before I get a dually.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive