Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coach battery not charging

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Jayco Greyhawk.
The coach battery will not charge when the engine is running. The only way it will charge is if I connect to shore power or run the gen set. I checked the fuses tried to trace the wires from the alternator,and all looks good. What am I missing???
Any help would be appreciated..
Thanks
Dave
12 REPLIES 12

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
Found the problem. Broken connector. Soldered the connection and works fine.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Order a Cole Hersee 24213 relay from Amazon and install it in place of the existing relay. It will last the lifetime of the RV. The old one (on Winnebagos at least) looks identical but is 80 amp rated and has plain copper contacts. They burn up rather quickly, as they operate every time the engine is started. The CH 24213 has silver tungsten plated contacts and is rated at 200 amps and will probably never burn up. The old relay will have only one small terminal for the wire that operates the coil, the new one has two, you need to fabricate a short jumper to connect one of these two small terminals (either one, you pick) and connect it to one of the mounting bolts to complete the ground circuit for the coil. Very common problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-24213-Continuous-Solenoid/dp/B005K2429I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=15...

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The relay in my E-450 was in the front on the passengers side near the head light. The battery had to come out to gain access.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I'll check it out..

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cruisineasy,

In my Ford e-450 it was in the fuse box near to the brake fluid reservoir.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
The OEM isolation relay may have burned contacts. Mine lasted less than one year. I caused it to be replaced with one rated two hundred amps continuous.

There is also a fuse in the OEM charging circuit. Mine was a 60 amp. After the third time it blew, I replaced it with a 50 amp autoreset circuit breaker.

Where is this fuse??

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
According to the manual, it's the same one that engages when you push the button on the dash, (Not sure what it's called) to start the engine if the chassis battery is weak. Is that right??
If so, it's on the firewall. Maybe I have a bad connection with the wire that engages the solenoid when the key is on..

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
AWESOME!!! Where is the relay??? I looked for it but could not find it..

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
The relay mentioned above looks like this and is $15 on Amazon.

The idea is that the Chassis Engine, when running, sends 12VDC to one of the small terminals. The other small terminal is probably grounded.

That voltage closes the contacts between Chassis Alternator and Coach (House) battery, so it's charged when the Engine is running. The Coach/House cannot discharge the Chassis Battery because they aren't connected with the Engine Off.

Do you have an Assistant? If so:
Open Hood, Start Engine.
One of you put your DVOM across the Coach Battery.
The other of you put a jumper across the two LARGE terminals.
Voltage at Coach Battery goes UP?
If Yes, Test of Relay satisfactory and complete.
If NO, Relay is either not being powered through Chassis (one of the small terminals) OR other small terminal not grounded
OR if NO, bad Relay Coil (between small terminals) or bad Relay Contacts (between the Large terminals). Spend $15. Make it $17 and buy the Assistant a beer.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The OEM isolation relay may have burned contacts. Mine lasted less than one year. I caused it to be replaced with one rated two hundred amps continuous.

There is also a fuse in the OEM charging circuit. Mine was a 60 amp. After the third time it blew, I replaced it with a 50 amp autoreset circuit breaker.
Regards, Don

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
I do, it's a switch to the left of the entry steps. Even when it's on, no charge..

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a battery disconnect switch? If so, it usually has to be switch on. My brothers RV has a large plastic red key you have to insert and turn to ON position for house battery to charge.