cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow vehicle mods

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
So what is your favorite modifications that you have done to your tow vehicle? I am getting past fixing all the neglected items and I am ready to start making upgrades and looking for ideas. I am thinking auxiliary driving lights and larger fuel tank may be my next upgrades.
27 REPLIES 27

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Most of my money has been spent on things that hopefully help improve or extend the life of my drive train under towing.

Smarty Jr. Tuner
Extra capacity tranny pan
Extra capacity oil pan
HD tranny shift kit
HD torque converter / clutch
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Bedlam
Hmm, some people buy enough performance when they buy their truck that they don't have to mess with aftermarket even after 10 years of use nor bypass emission equipment for more performance. Now if you enjoy working on your gear, there is merit to that claim if you can keep your vehicle compliant. I just see my truck as a tool to do the things I like to do.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Side bars, mud flaps, window vents, grill guards and lots of other stuff to me are just donkey ****. I would rather spend the money on performance equipment. Diesels can really benefit from some engine upgrades. With better brakes and steering components they become better than new.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DuraFlap Custom mudflaps, modified 5 gallon fuel container, HighWay Products bed height 30" front to back tool box and B&W RVK3600 hitch. Rest of the truck does the job without modifications.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4, 6.7 Cummins......Smarty Jr., Valair Clutch/pressure plate, 19.5โ€ Rims/Tires, Mag-Hytec differential cover, Ranch hand grill guard.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
nacsbigfoot makes a good point. You do not realize what a hot rod your 7.3 can be until you put a tuner on it. Going back to stock is noticeable.

I would make the point that there are some great after market parts avaiable now for trucks. When you need new brake pads, spend a little extra for better than original equipment. Same with the front end and many other parts. I had the front end rebuilt with Moog parts. It took about 1,000 miles to break them in, but now it feels like a new truck.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Just went to emissions today and had to flip the tune to stock......what a gutless slow turd it turned into. I feel sorry for anyone towing anything over 5000 lbs with a stock 7.3.
With some mods itโ€™s just simply a different truck.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
rexlion wrote:
Today I'm replacing my shuddering front brakes (got too hot at some point!) with a Power Stop Z36 pad & rotor set. Ceramic/carbon fiber pads and drilled/slotted rotors.

Great pads, definitely have better grab when you hit the binders.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Mine doesnโ€™t have that new fangled miles to empty technology, as long as itโ€™s empty when the needle is on โ€˜Eโ€™ and full when the needle is onโ€™Fโ€™ I can figure out the rest!

Rob_Fla
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Rob_Fla wrote:
Yes, Titan tank replaces OEM tank, uses OEM filler and vent connections and OEM sending unit.

To get the miles to empty to work correctly, get the dealer to set the fuel tank size to the one now installed.

I know they can do that on the GM but can that be set on the RAMs?
2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Rob_Fla wrote:
Yes, Titan tank replaces OEM tank, uses OEM filler and vent connections and OEM sending unit.

To get the miles to empty to work correctly, get the dealer to set the fuel tank size to the one now installed.

Bedlam
Side step bars, mud flaps and window vent covers are basic upgrades I do on my trucks.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Today I'm replacing my shuddering front brakes (got too hot at some point!) with a Power Stop Z36 pad & rotor set. Ceramic/carbon fiber pads and drilled/slotted rotors.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Rob_Fla
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW