cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance 650 on F150

Chewydog
Explorer
Explorer
So I just purchased a 2018 F150 Crew Cab 6.5 foot bed without heavy duty payload package. Payload rating of 1739. I know I will be well over the payload rating with a Lance 650 (over 2000 pounds wet).

My question is, Lance advertises the Lance 650 for the short bed 5.5 feet. The F150 in a 5.5 foot bed can not be ordered with a heavy duty payload package. I tried on the website and from all my searches the heavy duty payload package is almost impossible to get, or I would have ordered one. Plus did not want to go Super duty because 95% of time will be a daily driver, and diesel super duty was way over my budget. Gas heavy duty truck was just too slow and thirsty.

So if anyone wants to put it on a 5.5 bed they will be overloaded no mater what right? What was lance thinking?

I did the calculations and I would be over payload ratings and the listed axle ratings but might be under the real rating of the 9.75 rear axle. (4500 pounds?)

Can I load a lance 650 on my truck? What laws would I be breaking? From my research as long as I don't exceed the DOT tire rating its technically legal. I could be wrong. Would love to just add air bags, sway bar, and LT tires. Any Idea what the front hubs are ratted for?
12 REPLIES 12

SpaceBuckaroo
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly what I was hoping to find. I want to purchase a new F150 Platinum, and I expect the payload to be approx. 1500 lbs. I want the F150 because of the better gas milage since I will only carry the Lance 650 5% of the year. I'm willing to install airbags, better tires, add-a-leaf spring (if it was available). I'm willing to remove the spare tire and travel with the camper dry until I get to my destination and then fill it with water, propane etc. I just hate having to buy a bigger truck for 5% of my use because I'm going to be overweight by 200 lbs. I'm willing to replace the bearings ever year.

The payload according to the brochure says 1720, but I can't go by that. With options I expect payload to be down around 1560.

Grit dog wrote:
3350 rawr? Lol
Chewy dog, seriously, a new F150 will haul that camper , especially with the mods you plan just fine and very safely.
There are about a million half ton trucks that ride around with that weight in them day in day out. There is no issue here.
If you were talking a bigger camper then yes you’d be overloaded.
You’ve come to perhaps the largest group of ninnies (only some folks here) when it comes to towing and hauling.
You will not be breaking laws, you will not go to jail, you won’t even run over a group of defenseless school children while careening our of control with a broken umm, may have to ask the weight cops here what will break the first, because nothing will break.
Have fun camping and enjoy!

Camp_woof
Explorer
Explorer
I've rented the Cruise America TC twice, have 4 weeks experience it! On my way to full-time (for sure) in probably Cirrus 920 next year with dually.

I took photo's of the door stickers on the F-150:
GVWR: 6900
rear gawr 3800
front gawr 3225
occupant and cargo max load: 2273

this is a fleet purchase, I believe they put airbags on to handle being over cargo capacity. Tires are rate 2337 each. Is there a sway bar?

Being used to a Honda S2000 (the car, not a generator!) ... there was a bit of porpoising (1st year I rented, didn't notice 2nd year) and some sway.

I drove through the Sierra's last Sept and got 15.6MPG per trip computer. I did drive with very light foot trying to max the gas mileage. Way more power than could be used from the V8 on the curvy and narrow road!

Seems like the F150 can be set up to handle the Lance 650 and get a perfectly acceptable ride/handling. Just not legal per door sticker.

The Cruise America Lance 650 takes out some cabinetry/netting above dinnette, adds single pane glass windows, a 6 gallon hot water heater (HATE these!). Not Sure how much "stuff" you can really put in the Lance 650! where?

Dave

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Bare in mind that those rental units are stripped.
No jacks, only 5 gallons of propane, 22 gal of water, while vacationers will not accumulate 200-400 lb of junk TC owners seem to generate sooner or later.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3350 rawr? Lol
Chewy dog, seriously, a new F150 will haul that camper , especially with the mods you plan just fine and very safely.
There are about a million half ton trucks that ride around with that weight in them day in day out. There is no issue here.
If you were talking a bigger camper then yes you’d be overloaded.
You’ve come to perhaps the largest group of ninnies (only some folks here) when it comes to towing and hauling.
You will not be breaking laws, you will not go to jail, you won’t even run over a group of defenseless school children while careening our of control with a broken umm, may have to ask the weight cops here what will break the first, because nothing will break.
Have fun camping and enjoy!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
You may be making the wrong assumptions about Fords F150 gvwr packages between 2014 vs 2018. They really haven't changed that much looking at Fleet Ford specs.

First off The F150HD package has a 7850-8200 gvwr depending on year model...and a 4800 rawr LT E tires. This is the only HD payload package.

Next down is a 7550-7600 gvwr and 4550 rawr with P tires.

On down is a 6900-7050 gvwr and 4050 rawr with P tires.

And a 6750 up to 7050 gvwr with very small 3800-3850 rawr with P tires.
Ford markets a max tow in all the above configurations. This confuses lots of owners.

Fleet Fords specs shows 3 different frame thickness..... .87"t.... .10t and .110t.

Ford shows 2 different size brake systems.

Axle mfg rating are always higher than the truck makers RAWR.... trucks RAWR is the lessor of a tire/wheel or rear suspension. Upgrade to a higher capacity tire means the wheels and rear suspension needs help also.

Like others say just stay under axle/tire ratings for a safe tow.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Payload rating of 1739.“ That’s a silly low payload! Why, oh, why did you buy that F150?

“What laws would I be breaking?” The “dumb” law....technically.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Chewydog
Explorer
Explorer
Also don't know how to do pics but when ford still used steel bodies 2014 and earlier they had a GVWR of 7700 for my configuration (157 wheelbase and max trailer tow package).

So from what I understand, unless ford made the axles, brakes, tires, and frame etc.... weaker the gvwr should be the same if the body is lighter. Every year they tout and avertise the frames and axles are stronger not weaker.

So my GVWR is stickered at 7050 and it used to be 7700 does that mean I can theoretically haul an extra 650 pounds?

Why make body lighter and lower GVWR at the same time? Sounds counter productive.

Cant post pics but here's the link. Page 4
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2014_Specs/2014_F150_Specs.pdf

Chewydog
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like the extended cab with the 6.5 bed and 2wd for sure. Most likely they are fleet ordered with the heavy duty payload package. They would probably have about 2500 pounds payload or more.

I just don't know who is putting these things on 5.5 foot beds?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know what Lance was thinking, but Cruise America rents the combo.

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/our_vehicles/truck_camper.aspx

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at a light weight pop up like a Four Wheel or ATC. I think Four Wheel Camper builds a hard side but don't know the weight. Probably be lighter than the Lance 650.

There is a guy who lives 30 minutes from me that has a newer short bed, 1/2, 6.5 bed, Chevy Z71 with a new 2017 Lance 650. He had the Lance for sale a few months ago. It still is sitting next to his shop off his truck and sitting next to it is a brand new 2018 travel trailer. He must not have his truck setup right or he feels the Lance is too big for his truck. His 1/2 ton looks like it will handle his new travel trailer. I think he did his home work on the travel trailer :B

Chewydog
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
DOT.........AXLE and/or Tire Load Ratings

FAWR......3225#
RAWR......3350#

It isn't LANCES issue to insure YOU stay within those ratings.

I know it isn't Lances job to insure I stay within limits. I just find it surprising that they are marketing to 5.5 bed lengths. I'm pretty sure there isn't a single truck with a 5.5 bed that has a payload rating to handle the load.

If there is a market for it, does that mean lots of people are loading up 5.5 foot beds. Anyone heard of any problems from doing this.

For the record my sticker states.
GVWR 7050
FAWR......3250#
RAWR......3800#

I'm pretty sure the Ford locking rear 9.75 has a rating of over 4000#. The 9.75HD has a rating from Ford at 4800#. From all my research the 9.75HD uses the same bearings as the standard 9.75 and only holds 1 extra quart of fluid.

In addition, anyone know what the stock 18 inch wheels are rated for? Maybe that's the limiting factor. I know for 2018 ford made the rear frame thicker than 2017 increasing the towing capacity. I don't know by how much thicker though.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOT.........AXLE and/or Tire Load Ratings

FAWR......3225#
RAWR......3350#

It isn't LANCES issue to insure YOU stay within those ratings.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31