cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Property tax payment

BlessedFam10
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have a question concerning property tax payments on motorized rv’s. We are brand new to the RV community, we have a 38’ Georgetown 5 series 2018 motorhome. We are not considered full time just weekends as for now. Recently we received our property tax paperwork that required information that would give us the opportunity to be taxed at 6.5% instead of 10%. Can anyone please tell me how would I go about figuring out the tax info for the state of SC? Just want to stay abreast on my tax options. Thank you for any help.

Blessings
29 REPLIES 29

BlessedFam10
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your inputs and experiences! Will inquires at my local tax office!

Sultan1966
Explorer
Explorer
George Beggs wrote:
Move to Florida. No property tax on motor homes and no income tax.

Same with Tennessee and my license plate is like $26 a year.
2008 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV with Cummins 425hp ISL (Louie) with 2005 Chevrolet Silverado (Roscoe) with Golf Cart in back (Forrest Gump).
Wife, I and our two dogs are Full-Timers

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
henleyd wrote:
I guess you mean personal prop tax, like a car. I call it a wealth tax. Taking from you forever. Join a mail forward service in SD. 4% sales tax, NO pptax. Just renew the membership yearly. legal and tax smart. They get your plates and all. Americas mailbox is one such place.

Wow, free tax advise, and worth every penny!

Actually in most cases that is criminal tax evasion. There is much case law on this subject.

StuckinTracy
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP; On a slightly different side note since you are new to the RV world and April 17th is coming up.. The interest you pay on your RV loan will be deductible on your income tax. Since it is self contained it will qualify as a second home.
10 Rally's and counting...

Mike (me-pilot)
Gail ("I'M THE BOSS"-navigator)

Stuck in a tent but looking

Good Sam Life members
FMCA 370826

Not applicable
I guess you mean personal prop tax, like a car. I call it a wealth tax. Taking from you forever. Join a mail forward service in SD. 4% sales tax, NO pptax. Just renew the membership yearly. legal and tax smart. They get your plates and all. Americas mailbox is one such place.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have mine registered at my home in MD---no personal property tax---no yearly inspection. Buy tags and ride

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I could give you advice but I charge $100/hour and I am just a Aircraft Mechanic. I am willing to help tho. I do admit in my 30 page denial that I don't know anything about Math, Taxes, SC, or paperwork so for $100 minimum I will tell you to see a Certified SC tax advisor.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I just renewed 2 cars plus MH..Yep, there's a tax but there's only 3% tax capped at 2000 when you buy a new car/motorhome. But I heard Alabama MV fees are bad and SC's taxes are worse. All I know is it is deductible and in a few years, Florida or Tennessee. But property taxes are reasonable.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
stickdog wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Property tax on an RV? Move!

Yeah, even NY hasn't caught on to that one yet! 😉

Better watch what you say, Cuomo may read the forum.

He doesn't need to read it. Have you heard about data mining? They now know. Thanks a lot, OP.

-Speak

I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Cuomo has an election coming up... 😉
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
In NC, a Class A is considered personal property and is taxed like a car/truck when you renew your license plate. Same as a tag-along or any other trailer like a boat or utility trailer that has to be licensed. The actual boat itself has to be listed each year, but is still considered personal property that is taxable. We now have to pay the property tax at the same time that we renew our plates. We also have the option to get multi-year plates for trailers and with that we have to list the property each year with the tax office.

In TN we pay a tax when we buy it but after that nothing. So you have to pay a tax every year that you own a RV, trailer, boat etc???? I'd have to sell so stuff!!!

That doesn't apply to property my business owns. I pay "tangable" taxes on those items every year. Anything the business owns is taxed.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gee. the only "Tax" i pay on the RV is teh annual LIcense plate fee, they re-structured a few years (Decades) Back so it is now a "property Tax" under federal lawe.. less than 500 on my house.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
George Beggs wrote:
Move to Florida. No property tax on motor homes and no income tax.

Or Tennessee.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting that adds up to a lot of money. In Vermont we now pay 6% sales tax when you purchase it and $86.00 per year to register it. That's it. No additional charges.
🙂 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Every states taxing scheme is different. I doubt everybody telling how it is in their particular state is of much assistance to the OP.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU