a video on LI batteries

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Folks,

Worth watching I think!

https://youtu.be/WlxBOJrEKAo
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
17 REPLIES 17

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
KJINTF wrote:
Grizz

At the low end Pack Voltage of 12.0Vdc Hi to Low cell difference was 110mv more than I like to see. Got it to <10mv. The High end Pack Voltage of 13.4Vdc Hi to Low cell difference is always < 10mv.

To answer your question "Because I can" and I like to tinker

I like your answer :B It is my understanding that due to the cells not being exactly the same is why you balance the cells? I take it you stay out of the upper knee when charging (cell level)?
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ty itnerant1
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Effectively cut-off is zero as determined by the vehicle manufacturer that provides the battery warranty. Pretty sure you are into the knee so going lower does not give much additional power anyway.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
I recently ran my EV battery to zero and power was cut off. Charging started at 1.2 kW vs the normal 10 kW charge rate. Ramped up to normal at about 5% charge.

Could it be that cut-off zero was not really zero, but something in the range of 10-15%?

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
PT here is some info from my 500ah LiFePo4 bank.
These readings are from the 4th morning at 32% (160ah) previous evening starting at 57% (285ah) a few days of poor solar charging.
Batteries 13.03vdc (13.65vdc 100%)
Inverter(3000w) with parasitic draw 2a 12.9vdc
Mr coffee 12 cup 82a 12.7vdc
950w microwave 150a 12.5vdc

When done using appliances returns to initial 13v on batteries or 12.9v fom inverter.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot wrote:
More sophisticated Li chargers start from low amps, increasing it to max current when voltage indicates 40%(?) full, don't remember the exact number.
I recently ran my EV battery to zero and power was cut off. Charging started at 1.2 kW vs the normal 10 kW charge rate. Ramped up to normal at about 5% charge.
This is a 40 kWh battery.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
PT

A 1Kw Microwave for about 10 minutes
As I recall there was very little voltage drop <500mV

The Li Pack is connected to a 2Kw PSW inverter & switchable to the 8 amp Heater blower motor nothing else. Two Lead Acid GC batteries take care of the other loads

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Questions

• 600 actual amp hours of batteries
  • 400 amp controlled voltage charging source
  • Just start the charging and 400 amps could flow?
  • This is in reference to generator charging

They haven't figured Li out yet.
More sophisticated Li chargers start from low amps, increasing it to max current when voltage indicates 40%(?) full, don't remember the exact number.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Questions

• 600 actual amp hours of batteries
  • 400 amp controlled voltage charging source
  • Just start the charging and 400 amps could flow?
  • This is in reference to generator charging

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
KJINTF,

What is the largest load you have placed on the LI pack (in watts please)
Regards, Don

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Grizz

At the low end Pack Voltage of 12.0Vdc Hi to Low cell difference was 110mv more than I like to see. Got it to <10mv. The High end Pack Voltage of 13.4Vdc Hi to Low cell difference is always < 10mv.

To answer your question "Because I can" and I like to tinker

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
KJINTF wrote:
PT

That guy at WEBER auto knows his stuff!
Well worth looking at what he has to say
Been talking with him for several years now

For me my 200amp/hr Prismatic LiFe battery has been nothing but WONDERFUL
No voltage drops with HEAVY loads and no issues with recharging
Even better I do not use any factory "BMS" I see No Need for that stuff
3 years now and all is good
Just today after three 3 years bottom balanced the Prismatic pack

Why bottom balance in a fractional (low C) use?
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
The video is about benefits of liquid cooling.

Without liquid cooling you should avoid charging at high ambient temperature, should avoid charging immediately after driving (even if ambient is not too hot), and generally should avoid keeping it in hot temps no matter with or without charging during that time.

These are usual warnings on e-scooters and e-bikes. A bit of hassle, yes. Unfortunately, most of this applies to drop-in batteries in RV. (Also, very cold temps).

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Video illustrates how storage can be an issue with temperature. I tend to only suggest a lithium battery for full time use. This way the temperature can be controlled better.

Heat from charging or discharging should not be a issue as most RVs would not have the sustained high rates as seen in an electric vehicle.