cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

flordia snow birds heading north

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
i live in Mt. Airy, NC and travel south on I77 on Monday's. I am only on I77 for 50 miles or so. Today I spotted at least 50 RV's heading north. Most were motor homes. Anyone left in FL??
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S
25 REPLIES 25

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spring break in the south is March and the north is April for high schools and colleges. Some of those replacement rv's are families on spring break.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Snowbirds headed home from Arizona also. Will be a lot more since we are getting in the 80s and a record today of 91.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

soren
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
Ft. Chiswell and got snow today. Most of that area got a bunch, but the temps are suppose to warm up by Saturday, March 24 it should be gone.
we here in Mt. Airy got maybe an inch, but never did cover the roads. most of it is gone now, it is 11AM local time.

Not surprising. We have spent overnights there, at the beginning and end of the migration, where it was just as cold as home, five hundred miles north. Great place for a quick easy night on the road, though.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Ft. Chiswell and got snow today. Most of that area got a bunch, but the temps are suppose to warm up by Saturday, March 24 it should be gone.
we here in Mt. Airy got maybe an inch, but never did cover the roads. most of it is gone now, it is 11AM local time.
Ham radio - WU4S

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be running I77 up to Ft Chiswell on Saturday as we're slowly making our way north for our spring visit to our kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. Hopefully the snow will all melt before we get there. I'd really hate to have to shovel out our site!
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Ernest wrote:
We're in St Mary's Ga.
Traveled from Fort Myers to here today and saw more MH & TT going South than North... Go Figure!
We're in a holding pattern letting this last Nor Easterner get out of the way.
Can wait to see the Grand kids and Grand Dog.

you know that is weird. today I was on I77 going North and saw a bunch of RV motor homes heading South. what happen? yesterday they were all headed North, today South. strange.
Ham radio - WU4S

soren
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
soren wrote:
...One interesting thing to watch is those birds that "crawl" north, and only go a few hours north, then stay a few days, or a week, in a new park.

See above picture for reason why.

I'm more facinated by the fact that some parks seem to watch their long term guests leave, yet for the next few weeks the park stays relatively full, since they are replaced by other birds who are just passing through. Some I've talked to are really looking for the perfect weather. They might of found a region far too cold for their liking in Jan, and Feb, but are happy to spend a week or two of their season there, in March or even the first half of April. Seems like a cool way to migrate, to me.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
...One interesting thing to watch is those birds that "crawl" north, and only go a few hours north, then stay a few days, or a week, in a new park.

See above picture for reason why.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
No way are we leaving paradise now when we can go out in 77 degree water in a natural Jacuzzi in the middle of the mangroves with a natural sand bottom and a crystal clear tide flowing through.
Maybe April 18 if we feel like it.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

soren
Explorer
Explorer
We just left a small park on the west coast of FL. It was full all winter, and currently about 85-90% full. One interesting thing to watch is those birds that "crawl" north, and only go a few hours north, then stay a few days, or a week, in a new park.

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer

Us "SunBums" are heading the other way down south at the end of the month, 2 months bikin, hikin n swilin in the Red Rock country.

I think we're getting tired of snow. Skiing every day since November 1st. is getting a little old. Just have to switch snows to hwy tires, hook up the TT and the white covered mule will do the rest.

Best spring wishes from the top of Silver Star Mtn., Vernon BC.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Plus some still beat a path back for tax deadline for some reason.

I95 at Yemassee SC was blocked due to a crash all night, many vehicles exiting at Point South to take 17A to Walterboro and get back on, it was a jam with that many trying to use a 2 lane back road.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Still here in Florida for two more days. Got here November 30. Not heading straight home though. Leaving for Savannah, GA (actually Tybee Island) for about a week of more RVing there and maybe stopping by Asheville, NC too.

While leaving our Florida roost means we're heading home it's always a good time to stop over at locations we can't easily get to any other time of the year. Other years we've been to Gulf Shores, Al, Nashville, TN, and now Savannah, GA. Might even head up to Charleston, SC too. No rush.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Not all snowbirds head straight home when they leave their winter park. Many got their fill of activities, and now want to add tourist experiences to their winter via "vacationing" back north. So what you see on the highway does not mean they're not pulling off at the next exit. If you're a Florida snowbird heading north you got Georgia, the panhandle, and the Carolina's that should be beautiful right now.

Some snowbirds needs an accountant because their financials might be a little more complex then the TurboTax clan's. If you have a real good accountant, they'll pay for themselves in the long run, so free is a relative term.

We wont be back for another month even though we left our winter home park. Our Oklahoma snowbird neighbors are already back in their S&B. Of course they're enjoying the starts of spring in Oklahoma right now. Guessing the daffodils are busting through the ground right now.

As they say, one size doesn't fit all.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.