cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dennis Dillon Ram

reppoc12
Explorer
Explorer
I have not seen any bad comments while searching but wanted to ask if anyone has had any problems in dealing with Dennis Dillon Dodge in Idaho. They are coming in almost 4k less than my local dealer (who is using my Chrysler affiliate program discount). I am having a to good to be true feeling.
33 REPLIES 33

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
The deal I got at Ron Tonkin in Milwaukee Oregon was as good as I could've gotten at Dennis Dillon. I drove about 50 miles from my house. The local dealer was $600 more for a SB and I got a LB. I had to play the trade in game at Tonkin. Not sure what DD does as far as haggling goes. I haggled for about 30 minutes. Would've taken way more time to drive to DD. 7 hrs one way. I think the lure about DD is it's what you se is what you pay. No hidden games. My local dealers don't discount very often, so you have to play the game for a discount.

Tonkin can have good prices and I did purchase my truck from them back in 2014. But, wow, do you have to watch out. Those guys are just old school greasy. Lies, fake KBB sheets, bait and switch, high pressure salesmen, etc, etc.

And it's company wide, not just Ram. I went in to lease a Hyundai for my company and it's all the same ****. I ended up driving up to WA and saved a ton. The salesman at Tonkin just look you right in the eye and lie. When you catch them and box them in they just get angry. The clown salesman accused me of being "negative" and "having a bad outlook on life." I can't imagine you sell many cars insulting your customers ๐Ÿ™‚

Bedlam
Me Again wrote:
Washington's B&O tax might me in play. Additional I think they just think only a small percentage of people will make the trip! I do not know of one dealer in Washington that I would consider a high volume truck dealer other than maybe the one in the snake pit of expensive new and used trucks in Puyallup. Maybe Dishman in Spokane?

Cummins12V98 got a good deal from the Dealer on Aurora Ave North. I found that the Bellingham dealer was more willing to deal, than all the others Everett North. In the end we flew to Colorado to get a truck in stock that was optioned the way we wanted. Like NO SUN ROOF! Also wanted an Aisin which gets restricted on SRW 3500's when supply runs short.

Tri Cities has a dealer that was willing to work with me on price and was more knowledgeable, but going to Idaho was still less expensive and easier. None of the dealers along the I-5 corridor wanted a sale on my custom order - I even had all the order and option codes prepared when making my request.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Curly2001 wrote:
You have to finance with them for the first six months that you own the vehicle.

Yeah they like you to believe that. I refinanced within 2 weeks at my credit union. They told us that their finacing was thru Chrysler but when we signed the loan papers is was thru Bank of America

One thing to watch out for is they will do that VIN etching **** and try to charge you for it. I think it was $300. When we arrived to pick up our 2016, they showed that charge on the invoice. I said take it off or we walk. No further argument from them.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The deal I got at Ron Tonkin in Milwaukee Oregon was as good as I could've gotten at Dennis Dillon. I drove about 50 miles from my house. The local dealer was $600 more for a SB and I got a LB. I had to play the trade in game at Tonkin. Not sure what DD does as far as haggling goes. I haggled for about 30 minutes. Would've taken way more time to drive to DD. 7 hrs one way. I think the lure about DD is it's what you se is what you pay. No hidden games. My local dealers don't discount very often, so you have to play the game for a discount.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
Ralph may have local dealers that can get him competitive pricing but in my area not only could they not offer reasonable pricing, they didn't even know their own product line. I would have rather made a local sale than flying to another state and having to drive back, but the locals (that had the geographical advantage) couldn't even get close to what I was offered and would have had to been walked through ordering my truck by me as an outsider to the process.

Washington's B&O tax might me in play. Additional I think they just think only a small percentage of people will make the trip! I do not know of one dealer in Washington that I would consider a high volume truck dealer other than maybe the one in the snake pit of expensive new and used trucks in Puyallup. Maybe Dishman in Spokane?

Cummins12V98 got a good deal from the Dealer on Aurora Ave North. I found that the Bellingham dealer was more willing to deal, than all the others Everett North. In the end we flew to Colorado to get a truck in stock that was optioned the way we wanted. Like NO SUN ROOF! Also wanted an Aisin which gets restricted on SRW 3500's when supply runs short.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bedlam
Ralph may have local dealers that can get him competitive pricing but in my area not only could they not offer reasonable pricing, they didn't even know their own product line. I would have rather made a local sale than flying to another state and having to drive back, but the locals (that had the geographical advantage) couldn't even get close to what I was offered and would have had to been walked through ordering my truck by me as an outsider to the process.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Volume discount is a myth. When it comes to automobiles the manufacturer can have incentives with certain high volume dealers, but that perk is in the hundreds, not thousands of dollars per unit, and usually comes in the form of a reduced rate of financing on their end when financing inventory. The manufacturer is not a bank, but all of them are associated with one, so they pass that on to you which is where the finance with us and save x deal comes into play.

If one dealer can make deal X, so can any dealer. Most simply choose not to make it. Especially if sales are hitting their pre established quotas. The whole business is planned out down to the penny.

Having one ordered is a different animal as the dealer has nothing into it. There are costs associated with flooring inventory and the longer it sits on the lot, profit progressively drops with interest payments, insurance costs, the kid who washes them every week, etc. None of that gets factored in on a special order usually, but it's factored in for sure on a floored unit. They don't pay for that, you do. Same at an RV show, the dealers are not paying for the floor space at the expo or convention center, the added salespeoples base salary, or the transport to and from, the people who buy at the show pay for it and its not cheap.

Look at the self professed "wholesalers" like RVW, the Strollo brothers and whatever name they go by today, RV direct or something?, Colrain RV advertised as "wholesale rv club", or Jeff Couch. The advertised prices are great, and the actual price is great but nothing that can not be beat at the local mom and pop. Others including myself have done so.

I looked at Dennis Dillon and their advertised prices look really good, but they're nothing I don't think I could get at a dealer in the Pittsburgh PA area, or anywhere else. Especially so if no trade or loan payoff muddys it up, or you're not upside down. It might take some work as in hardline negotiating, but not impossible at all. Give it a shot during the last few days of the month. They know that for every hard negotiator that walks in 10 suckers will be right behind them.

Gee Ralph, I don't think you understand. You are forgetting the "distance" rule. The further you travel out of town to buy your new vehicle...the cheaper it will be! If you live in Pittsburgh, always buy at least as far away as Idaho. Now, if you live in Idaho, I hear there is a dealer in Pittsburgh who offers $5,000 better deals!:)

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Volume discount is a myth. When it comes to automobiles the manufacturer can have incentives with certain high volume dealers, but that perk is in the hundreds, not thousands of dollars per unit, and usually comes in the form of a reduced rate of financing on their end when financing inventory. The manufacturer is not a bank, but all of them are associated with one, so they pass that on to you which is where the finance with us and save x deal comes into play.

If one dealer can make deal X, so can any dealer. Most simply choose not to make it. Especially if sales are hitting their pre established quotas. The whole business is planned out down to the penny.

Having one ordered is a different animal as the dealer has nothing into it. There are costs associated with flooring inventory and the longer it sits on the lot, profit progressively drops with interest payments, insurance costs, the kid who washes them every week, etc. None of that gets factored in on a special order usually, but it's factored in for sure on a floored unit. They don't pay for that, you do. Same at an RV show, the dealers are not paying for the floor space at the expo or convention center, the added salespeoples base salary, or the transport to and from, the people who buy at the show pay for it and its not cheap.

Look at the self professed "wholesalers" like RVW, the Strollo brothers and whatever name they go by today, RV direct or something?, Colrain RV advertised as "wholesale rv club", or Jeff Couch. The advertised prices are great, and the actual price is great but nothing that can not be beat at the local mom and pop. Others including myself have done so.

I looked at Dennis Dillon and their advertised prices look really good, but they're nothing I don't think I could get at a dealer in the Pittsburgh PA area, or anywhere else. Especially so if no trade or loan payoff muddys it up, or you're not upside down. It might take some work as in hardline negotiating, but not impossible at all. Give it a shot during the last few days of the month. They know that for every hard negotiator that walks in 10 suckers will be right behind them.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
No problem for me I bought a 2016 6.4L hemi for them.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

24fb_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a truck from DD about 3 weeks ago and have nothing but good to say about them, they did ask me to stay with Chrysler financial for at least 6 months because if I refinance sooner, DD will be charged from Chrysler cause they won't make as much $$, but you don't HAVE to stay with them they make it seem like you do.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"$4000.00 will buy 2000 bottles of Trader Joe's wine!! YeeHaw."

Not anymore! "Two Buck Chuck" is now $2.99 per bottle, still a great value.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
reppoc12 wrote:
I have not seen any bad comments while searching but wanted to ask if anyone has had any problems in dealing with Dennis Dillon Dodge in Idaho. They are coming in almost 4k less than my local dealer (who is using my Chrysler affiliate program discount). I am having a to good to be true feeling.

This place is a lot closer to you, and is a high volume dealer. https://www.31dodge.com/
Also Vernon Auto Group in TX has great reviews.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
MNGeeks61 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Again look at the documents you sign. Unless they've been revised from what I signed in 2015 there's not actually any requirement to stay with Chrysler financing for 6 months, and I refied early with no trouble. I'm not sure why they tell people that. My credit union has, or maybe had, a free refi program for new vehicle purchases that had a slightly better rate than I got from Chrysler. Just an FYI you might want to explore.

We just bought a Jeep Cherokee and the documents do state you need to stay with Chrysler Capital for at least 6 months. I also verified that via a phone call to Chrysler Capital and they were really pleasant to deal with. Maybe it's different for RAM, but not sure.

Interesting. Maybe guys like me prompted them to tighten up the language in their loan agreements. It did seem odd to me that there were no restrictions in the docs when I was told verbally I couldn't refinance for a period of time. Since it was the salesman that told me that I figured he was just full of it, as they tend to be about most topics.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Again look at the documents you sign. Unless they've been revised from what I signed in 2015 there's not actually any requirement to stay with Chrysler financing for 6 months, and I refied early with no trouble. I'm not sure why they tell people that. My credit union has, or maybe had, a free refi program for new vehicle purchases that had a slightly better rate than I got from Chrysler. Just an FYI you might want to explore.

We just bought a Jeep Cherokee and the documents do state you need to stay with Chrysler Capital for at least 6 months. I also verified that via a phone call to Chrysler Capital and they were really pleasant to deal with. Maybe it's different for RAM, but not sure.