cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there such a thing as a vent filter?

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I frequently camp in dusty places. I asked Mr Google... Couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for an air filter I can put in my FanTastic, (or in my bathroom vent) whether it's top or bottom loaded, that will filter dust and then create a clean, positive air pressure in my TC.

Think the air filter you would put in your home furnace intake.

I'm almost thinking of taking one of my home filters and cutting it to size, then a little engineering-spec multi-purpose adhesive (duct tape).
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
13 REPLIES 13

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I have one. Took it off and hosed it down after each trip. I don't think it will fit on the new Fantastik on the new BF.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
deltabravo wrote:
Stand by... I have secret squirrel resources and will investigate.

FAIL. Nothing.

It's probably been 10 years ago I remember seeing filters, because I wanted to install one in the Maxxair fan on the Desert Fox toy hauler... but the filter would only fit Fantastic fans... I remember that detail specifically.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, I remember Maxxair used to make a filter for the Fantastic fans.

Stand by... I have secret squirrel resources and will investigate.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the higher model fans are reversible.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ab257 wrote:
Does your fantastic fan pump air into the camper? Mine is an exhaust fan. You would have to create an air inlet duct with a filter on it if they are exhaust fans.

since he wants a clean positive pressure in the RV, I would "assume" that it is reversible???? wouldn't make much sense to have the filter on the exhaust side.
bumpy

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
Does your fantastic fan pump air into the camper? Mine is an exhaust fan. You would have to create an air inlet duct with a filter on it if they are exhaust fans.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxair used to make a pop in filter for the fantastic vent, but it looks like it is out of production.
-- Chris Bryant

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a furnace filter that is sort of interwoven plastic threads??? that you can cut to size. don't really know how to describe it. I wouldn't go the HEPA filter way unless you don't care about air flow or motor burnout.
bumpy

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
THIS

Might work for you.

Lakeside

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many (many) years ago I took my EuroVan Camper to Burning Man. If you haven't been there.... well, it's the very definition of "dusty place".

Anyway, I did exactly what you are describing; I made my own filter using a large cardboard box with 5 pleated-paper HVAC filters duct-taped to the outside of it. I used the finest ones I could find, then I wrapped the whole thing with several layers of tacky-backed air filter media from McMaster_Carr as pre-filter to prevent the paper from clogging. A couple of bungees to pulled it down snug against the roof surface.

I ran my Maxx-Fan for vent on the intake setting 24-7 which kept the interior of the van positively pressurized just enough to keep the dust out. At the end of a full week out there I had no dust in the van's heater vents, window sills, door gaskets,etc. I was amazed at how clean the inside of the van stayed.

Hope this at least provides some food for thought.
Cheers,
-Mark

'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Household filters are not design to stop fine dust.
If you really want something good, I ditto automotive filters idea.
I had severe duty air filter in my older Ford, that could hold almost 3 lb of dust before triggering service light.
Not going to be cheap, but cheaper than hospital bills.

Big_Dog2
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know how helpful this is, but have you thought about an air filter for a car or truck. They come in various sizes and you would need to get something close to the size you need then put it in place (on top or underneath the vent) with your engineering-spec multi-purpose adhesive. I do not know how restrictive these filters are either but it should be relatively cheap to try. Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works.
I am living proof that you are never too old to do something foolish.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
DIY.....make one and see how much it blocks airflow.
Think they would be 'restrictive'

Now--
A cheapie foam filter like ones used on RV A/C Return Air MIGHT work
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31