cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Ram 3500 Transfer Case

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
OK, this may be a really dumb question, but since the truck is brand new I don't want to mess something up.
The manual doesn't have specific wording if this is a shift on the fly transfer case.
The paper manual says to refer to the on line manual, and the online manual isn't specific either. Says don't shift transfer case if only one set of wheels is moving. I would take that to mean if you are stuck in 2wd don't shift into 4wd while you are spinning the tires.

I saw a YouTube video from a Ram dealer in 2017 that says 1500-shift on the fly. 2500 and 3500 shift while stopped and go from neutral to 4wd.

Then I saw another YouTube video from Mopar back in 2012 that says ok to shift on the fly and they are driving a chassis cab with a dump body, so it clearly is HD.
8 REPLIES 8

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
campigloo wrote:
Different year but for what it’s worth my 2012 says shift into 4low in neutral stopped or ideally in neutral rolling less than 5mph.

Yes, that's always the case with using a different range.
Trust me, you don't even want to be doing 2 mph. Did it once when I wasn't concentrating and it made a horrible clunk.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Different year but for what it’s worth my 2012 says shift into 4low in neutral stopped or ideally in neutral rolling less than 5mph.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody.
I figured it was ok, but wanted to double check.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's perfectly fine to go from 2 hi to 4 hi (and back again) while moving but you want to be coasting at the time.
So let off on the gas, shift and resume.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
Says don't shift transfer case if only one set of wheels is moving. I would take that to mean if you are stuck in 2wd don't shift into 4wd while you are spinning the tires.....

I think this is true for any transfer case. We were at the boat ramp and this lady backed in a trailer with a Jeep Cherokee. The husband runs the 22' boat on the trailer, she starts up the ramp, and the back wheels break traction as soon as the boat sets on the trailer. She guns it with tires squalling and he's back in the boat screaming for her to put it in 4 wheel drive. She can't hear and keeps doing a burnout and he keeps screaming louder.

Finally she looks back and hear's him screaming then reaches down for the T-case shift handle while doing a really nice burn out. KKKKAAABBLLLLOOOOMMMM :S :?

The whole driveline lurched and instantaneously came to a violent stop. We didn't stick around because I knew the pending alcohol fueled argument was going to get nasty and we had small kids with us. However, I'm sure the T-case had to be completely obliterated after that ordeal.

So, there's a real world example of why not to shift into 4X4 when the two drive shafts aren't both spinning.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
As they said. You dont want the rear wheels spinning when shifting it and of course you have to be stopped for low range.

I found the diesel supplement . to be helpful

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camp n family is correct .On my truck I also must be completely stopped to take it out of four low !

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You can shift into 4Hi on the fly. 4Lo needs to be from a stop in neutral. If You are stuck and only the rears were spinning you should stop them first before shifting. I don’t think the transfer case will allow the shift To 4Hi unless all wheels are travelling at the similar speed.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley