cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RUBBER ROOF ?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned our hybrtid for 15 years. It has been used hundreds of times. We store it uncer cover. While doing my annual roof inspection I notice the rubber seems to be seperating from the ply along one side. I do not suspect water damage though I am not sure. Feels solid. Question is should I berunning a bead of caulk along shere the rubber roof meets the gutter trim on the wall? Is that enough or should I replace the putty tape?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
8 REPLIES 8

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure the area to be repaired is cleaned well or any repair you make will be for naught. Eternabond is probably the best cheap fix.
The best repair would be to replace the rubber roof but not practical due to the age of the rig. The would probably run around $2000.00.

slavco
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Thanks to all for your helpfulness. Much apreciated. I ordered some Eternabond, cleaner & caulk. Will start tomorrow

Do you have a picture you can share? If it's just bubbling then it's likely the glue which was used between membrane and the luan let go, after so many years it's not surprising. Also, no cause for concern. Again, hard to tell by description alone so a picture would help 🙂

S

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your helpfulness. Much apreciated. I ordered some Eternabond, cleaner & caulk. Will start tomorrow
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
So do I run a bead along the trim where the roof meets call ? Or do I pull the trim and replace all the putty tape?

You run a bigger risk of damage by removing anything touching the roof, and run a risk of ripping or tearing the rubber membrane roof. If the caulking does not spill over the side of the camper to cover the trim, then just calk or putty where the seams meet. The less you disturb the better off you be.

In time, you may (someday) need to replace the entire roof. When that day comes, then it will be beneficial to remove all the trim, all the seams, replace the rubber and reattach everything with lots and lots of putty under, over, and through everything. Until that day happens, just make sure all the seams and thin spots are covered. As long as existing putty is clean, you don't need to remove it either, just apply more on top of it. Less disturbed anything touching the actual rubber, the better off you are.

Good luck!

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
So do I run a bead along the trim where the roof meets call ? Or do I pull the trim and replace all the putty tape?
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the comments above. Water damage can be so destructive. Caulking and Eternabond are CHEAP by comparison 😉

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If in doubt, slap on the putty! It won't hurt anything and may help everything!

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe some Eternabond, depending upon where it is.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs