Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel pump replacement/ broken studs

mist4life
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening!

I am back again with an update and to seek advice/wisdom from you all. We are in the process of replacing the fuel pump on our 2000 Fleetwood Bounder 34d. We previously were under the impression that the engine had sat and not been started for 7 or 8 years. The mechanic friend who is helping us out informed us that he has been coming over to the motor home twice a year, starting it and letting it run for awhile. It has only been a year or so that the fuel pump failed. I know that it may not sound like much, but we were thrilled and it gave us renewed hope!

The gas tank is partially dropped and they were hoping to be able to insert the new pump this way but even after spraying, soaking and being very gentle, all six studs broke off. After researching, it appears that this is very common. Now we are going to have to completely drop the tank and drill new holes for new studs.

I have 2 questions, if I may. 1.) There is about 15 gallons of fuel in the tank. How is the easiest/safest way to empty the tank? It seems most use the fuel pump but that, of course, is not an option for us. 2.) We found a lock ring and are assuming the gasket is made to withstand being exposed to gas but can't seem to find that definitive answer. We have learned not to ass/u/me. Has anyone had any experience with this? We want to get a really good seal.

Thanks for your time and any ideas you may have. We are learning and are really wanting to be "hands on" as much as possible to get to know our rig. Have a good one!
9 REPLIES 9

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You can use http://www.russet.co.nz/ecommerce_documents/Devcon-1.pdf
You put a nut over the bolt, whatever part is sticking up and pour some devcon in to the inside of the nut. It will back out with a wrench then. No sparks or fire.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure the studs are the thread in type. I believe that they are spot-welded in, and if you do replace the studs, try to keep the same orientation so the fuel float and pick-up work correctly. The tank itself is fairly heave gage, and there may be a ring on the inside. Drilling and maybe tapping the tank may be an option, as possibly welding nuts on the inside of the tank, for new studs.
Good luck.
Wildmanbaker

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
remove all the gas you can out of the tank, then fill the tank full of water right up to the fuel sender and let it run for a bit, then using a mig welder with the tank still full of water weld a washer to each stud if its just at the surface of the flange, then weld a nut to the washer. if there is a bit of the stud sticking up put a nut on it and weld the inside of the nut to the stud.. when done you can drain the tank of the water, and rinse with some methyl hydrate and dump it again and let dry..

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
The fuel pump assembly uses a flat gasket. Replacing the bolts that have broken off may be a big problem, because of a fire hazard. You can inert the inside of the tank, or fill it with water. DO NOT underestimate the residual gas fumes.
Wildmanbaker

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
me I,d build up a platform under the tank ,cut rubber hoses, mark which one is in and out ,unplug any wires and mark. pull out platform boards one at a time and wiggle it down to the ground. never ever use any tool that sparks, fumes blow up.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don wrote:
"mist4life"......I may be wrong, but isn't the fuel pump and all the hoses part of the plate that the lock ring locks on. Spin the ring and remove the entire assembly.

Depends on the design / manufacturer, some have studs and can be a real PITA. On a side note I know, or should say knew, a local independent mechanic who took a short cut and attempted to grind those studs off with a die grinder. He's no longer with us, nor is his garage.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"mist4life"......I may be wrong, but isn't the fuel pump and all the hoses part of the plate that the lock ring locks on. Spin the ring and remove the entire assembly.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had to drop my tank, I bought & used one of these Harbor Freight Hydraulic Lift Tables to drop the tank. Just don't put the handle on it for this purpose.

This also came in handy about a year later when the refer bit the dust. This made getting the old one out and the new one in much easier as I could match the height of the table with the refer height.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
Use a siphon pump to transfer it to a gas can.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10