Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First "long" trip with TT.

jimlj
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of mileage do you get towing?
I have to brag a bit, the best I did on a 800 (towing) mile round trip was 17.5 MPG, the worse was 12.7 MPG. I tried to keep under 70 miles an hour while towing. This is with my 1979 Ford F250 Extended Cab 4X4 towing an Alpenlite 28' trailer. I've installed a Cummins Diesel that replaced a 460 gas engine. This is about 4 MPG better than I ever got with the 460 empty.

We went from Evanston Wy to Mesquite Nv and back. Overall average for 1166 miles was 16.5 MPG.
19 REPLIES 19

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
Wind drag is what drags your miliage down. My 06 dually with a cummins and G56 and 4.10's Gets 14 or 15 carrying 4,000 pound truck camper. And 11 or 12 towing 21,000 + pound Jayco Recon 36V toy hauler.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have since 1989, been saying; If you can get that kind of mileage, bring your pickup and I'll let you hook on my Arctic Fox. I will bet you all the fuel you want to burn you can't get over 10MPG from N Va to Ohio and back via RT 7, 522, I 68 and I 70 then down I 77, I68 to I 81 and back here. No one has ever taken me up. I have driven 3 diesel pickups into the ground and you need to go get the HP developed/lb of fuel burned formula and find out what you do burn in your 300 hp Cummins.

http://performancedevelopments.com/fuel-flow-calculations-for-horsepower/

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get about 11.5 on level ground with my 2011 F-150.

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling a 28 foot TT with a 2015 GMC Sierra I can go through a half tank of gas in 2 to 3 hours of driving depending on the amount of hills etc. I have a rule that once I hit a half tank of gas I start looking for fuel.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have an E-boost F-150. I get 10 mpg average. The worst was 7.5 mph against strong head winds, the best was 12.7 with strong tail winds.

I do not pay much attention to short trips under 1000 mile because the day to day variance is too great.

On a 1000 mile trip I burn 100 gallons. So 10 mpg is what I budget.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
afidel wrote:
MFL wrote:
OP stated "We went from Evanston Wy to Mesquite Nv". That is going from a mile and a half high to a quarter mile high. You could have just put transfer case in neutral, let her roll, and had trip average 20+ mpg.

Anyway, Ford truck, Cummins engine, great job, must have been a fun project!

Jerry

You missed the 'and back' part, they had to gain all that altitude back.

While my post was TnC, didn't miss anything. If coasting, using NO FUEL to get there, and worst case coming home 12.7, still nets 20+ average.

Jerry

jimlj
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
MFL wrote:
OP stated "We went from Evanston Wy to Mesquite Nv". That is going from a mile and a half high to a quarter mile high. You could have just put transfer case in neutral, let her roll, and had trip average 20+ mpg.

Jerry

Couldn't quite let it roll, but it was defiantly easier going than returning home. There are a couple passes where you climb back to 6500' around Cedar City Utah so it got a work out both ways. I think if I had skipped the last 100 miles in my calculations I'd have been pushing 17 MPG average.

jimlj
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
What year is the Cummins?

'89 Cummins, NV4500 transmission. 3.54 gears.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard to believe someone can get 17 mpg towing a TT like that. We usually get 8-9 mpg with a V10 F250 with 4.1 gears and 29' TT. It is what it is and I don't worry about it anymore.

The cost of gas has skyrocketed here lately and is now over $7 US a gallon. Not good for RV-ers... 😞 They are blaming it on a production shortage but why does it always go up every year in time for the better weather, pffft. We do all our RV-ing in the US so they're not accessing any of our cash. 🙂 Now, if the exchange rate could only return to around par.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:

Jerry

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

xian
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys,

help me decide which would be appropriate among these?
Which one best suite for long drive, a saver, cheaper gas etc.
your opinions and ideas are highly appreciated.

URL: https://cirrus.nucamprv.com/cirrus-truck-camper-models/

I look forward to have a really cool truck camper.

I'm currently eyeing on the cirrus truck.

Thanks in advance 😄

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Cali to Yellowstone last year netted us around 13MPG with no regard to taking it easy on the hills. We did 500 mile days Eastbound and Down.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
I'm one of those guys that doesn't chase cheaper gas or worry about gas mileage.

Seriously.....I've got bigger things to keep my mind occupied.

A hobby is a hobby..... and EVERY hobby costs money.

BUT.......I keep my eye on the gauge when I am nearing or in the boonies.

But I will relate what my 2017 Ram Rebel tells me whilst towing my trailer.......25 liters per 100 kms.

That translates into 6.5 US gallons for 62 miles.

YIKES!

See? That's why I don't try to care. LOL.