cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New battery setup

Shaft0201
Explorer
Explorer
After camping this last weekend and getting a couple dead batteries I’m now on the market for the following... two 12v batteries for doing a fair amount of boondocking. I know there is a lot of talk about 6v vs 12v but I’m just more comfortable with 12v for the room and to keep ALL batteries 12v on my trailers. Would like to limit running my generator (Onan 4K) to a couple hours a day for charging if that possible. I’m sure my 2008 extreme megalite 25ST has the stock converter and not even sure what it is putting out for charging. We have a baby and a toddler so running the furnace pretty steady when chilly and TV off and on a couple time throughout the day is a must when kids are present, but all interior lights are now LED and we make sure we don’t use them unless needed, but my 2yr old does like to have one on for a night light. Fridge will run nonstop and furnace often.

I got a nice sized battery box that I will vent and be mounted on the tongue between LP tanks and TH front.

Will also want to add a nice Voltminder with alarm so I don’t let the batteries get to low and ruin them.

Thanks all.
26 REPLIES 26

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Shaft0201 wrote:
I will call them for sure. Thank you
DO NOT let Randy talk you into a WFCO.

I think that's the one I got, seems to work great, much better than the original PD POS. Why don't you like the WFCO? My son's new trailer came with one and it is multi-stage, looked up the details on line.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shaft0201 wrote:
Spoke to him a little earlier and told me to get the “Progressive dynamics MBA 4655L”. Does that sound about right? He says that one is a little better than the boondocker one
Excellent converter.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The big advantage to 6v is the standard batteries you will find are true deep cycle batteries which is better for house loads.

You can find 12v deep cycle but the ones you find at wally world really aren't.

A pair of 6v will typically have similar storage capability to a pair of 12v (similar size, weight and true deep cycle). Each cell in the 6v will be bigger since there are fewer. If you get quasi-deep cycle, the 6v are likey to have greater storage capability.

Catastrophic failure is unlikely if you maintain the system. If you don't maintain the system, you are likely to have problems with the 12v batteries also.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Shaft0201
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
Just a bit more info:

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/battery/bat_convert.php

Thanks bud. Good info.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Just a bit more info:

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/battery/bat_convert.php
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Shaft0201
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Shaft0201 wrote:
After camping this last weekend and getting a couple dead batteries I’m now on the market for the following... two 12v batteries for doing a fair amount of boondocking.

Finding TRUE deep cycle 12V batteries is very difficult ! The "marine" dual purpose batteries are NOT true deep discharge batteries.

A golf cart dealership might have GC12 batteries, but they are expensive. Solar/wind/off grid stores would also carry true deep discharge batteries. Again, $$$ !

This is why you have been advised to use two 6V GC2 batteries.

Well the 6v setup is not out of the question, just would prefer 12v’s. If the search becomes next to impossible then I will go the 6v route. Thanks for the heads up

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Shaft0201 wrote:
After camping this last weekend and getting a couple dead batteries I’m now on the market for the following... two 12v batteries for doing a fair amount of boondocking.

Finding TRUE deep cycle 12V batteries is very difficult ! The "marine" dual purpose batteries are NOT true deep discharge batteries.

A golf cart dealership might have GC12 batteries, but they are expensive. Solar/wind/off grid stores would also carry true deep discharge batteries. Again, $$$ !

This is why you have been advised to use two 6V GC2 batteries.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
It's happened to me twice in 15 years.
Oh yes, I remember your story now. 🙂
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Y-Guy
I'm not sure which model I have, but I do have a Progressive Dynamics charger, it's been a very good unit and the charge wizard is nice to have. I wish I had changed mine out years before, but only did when my other unit died.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Shaft0201
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Shaft0201 wrote:

Spoke to him a little earlier and told me to get the “Progressive dynamics MBA 4655L”. Does that sound about right? He says that one is a little better than the boondocker one

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shaft0201 wrote:

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Shaft0201 wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:
I'll just add my 2 cents if your planning on running your heater you'll be better off running two six volts it's not hard at all to hook them up. I had two deep cycles 12 volts for years I so glad I made the switch it really makes a huge difference. Also if your lights are not already LED switch them out this to well save you batteries. I've never had an issue with Costco brand.

6v was a thought at first but I’m pretty stuck on getting two GOOD 12v batteries. As stated I have switched every interior light to LED, But thanks for suggesting. Will also be adding a voltminder and will order the better converter this weekend that has a smart charger setup.

Sorry my bad I skimmed through the part you already changed out your light to LED something else you can use to monitor your batteries if you have an 12 volt outlet on your rig.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Digital-Voltage-Meter-p/55-8167.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwcDlyLT-2QIVg0p...
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Shaft0201
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
I'll just add my 2 cents if your planning on running your heater you'll be better off running two six volts it's not hard at all to hook them up. I had two deep cycles 12 volts for years I so glad I made the switch it really makes a huge difference. Also if your lights are not already LED switch them out this to well save you batteries. I've never had an issue with Costco brand.

6v was a thought at first but I’m pretty stuck on getting two GOOD 12v batteries. As stated I have switched every interior light to LED, But thanks for suggesting. Will also be adding a voltminder and will order the better converter this weekend that has a smart charger setup.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus