Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black and Decker Vector "smart" charger

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

Just a heads up. At -4 c (25 f) the Black and Decker Vector won't charge at all--even on the 2 amp setting.

It more or less instantly shuts down.

The recondition selection does apparently work.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
31 REPLIES 31

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a battery that voltage was too low for the black and decker, I connected both my portable jump starter and the black and decker to it at the same time until the voltage was over 10. Then the black and decker was able to finish charging.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
I have the 40 amp B&D charger also, paid $50 for it 10 years ago on closeout and it works well for charging my 2 6v GC batteries. I have noticed it has throw that F2 code when it was extremely cold and the battery was severely discharged, cells started to freeze(slushy). When I reduced it to 2 amp setting it took the charge then went to 40 amp and all was well again. I also noticed that when it says full it is not fully charged. Once it says FUL I turn it off and use the on board Magnatek 950 charger for several days to fully charge the batteries. I notice I can go 2 more days dry camping charging this way.

You should use an hydrometer to confirm that converter float finishes the recharge. Probably not. Need to get them up in SG before going to float.

ISTR the older model Vector 1093A had a 2 amp setting and R but no E. Max v was 14.6. The later model Vector 1093D ( from about 2005) had a 4 amp as its low and has both the R and the E (poke hole and green flashing light) Max amps 14.8 but 15.7 for the E. Also temp comp. B&D took over Vector and that model became the VEC1093DBD

I always run the E on a full recharge once it gets down below 4 amps on the first run. Stop the run, restart at the 4 amp and poke the hole to get the green light flashing and let it do that. With 6s that should get them up to proper SG. Then find another charger or the rig's converter to do the Float.

With my older 35 amp Vector 1092A, there is a 2 amp low setting and R but no E. Instructions say after the first run to FUL, you can swap to the 2 amp setting and do another run at that setting. This will bring the SG farther up, but it stays at 14.6v.

BTW my AGMs specify charging at 14.8ish so I do them at the WET battery setting not the lower voltage AGM setting. Lifeline AGMs at 14.4 would be different of course. You have to go by the actual battery specs, not just "AGM" Same thing with solar controllers.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the 40 amp B&D charger also, paid $50 for it 10 years ago on closeout and it works well for charging my 2 6v GC batteries. I have noticed it has throw that F2 code when it was extremely cold and the battery was severely discharged, cells started to freeze(slushy). When I reduced it to 2 amp setting it took the charge then went to 40 amp and all was well again. I also noticed that when it says full it is not fully charged. Once it says FUL I turn it off and use the on board Magnatek 950 charger for several days to fully charge the batteries. I notice I can go 2 more days dry camping charging this way. Also like the equalize function several times a year or after running partial genset charges on extended dry camping trips.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I don't PUSH I twist

With adjustable voltage LIMIT and time LIMIT it means the battery can charge while the user takes a hike.

If a person is offended at the thought he might have to rob three seconds out of his day to THINK, I advise the avoidance of using chewing gum if they intend on walking.

Voltage LIMIT means exactly that. Voltage regulated.

TIME means the power SHUTS OFF

And someone is going to critique this is simply AWFUL for s converter. They're right. It's a battery charger.

"Twist"

"See ya in an hour"

"Ooooooo, summer's coming"

Sixty degree difference between summer and winter.

Time to spend TEN seconds and TWIST the potentiometer back .7 volt

"Don't wanna! I demand plug and play! Hey wait a minute who stole my chewing gum?"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi All,

The manual charger worked. However the Vector still refuses to charge. F02 error.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
LittleBill wrote:
has anyone checked what voltages this unit uses charging? i just checked mine for giggles before a equalize and its running at 15.1v? in second stage , at about 40-50F

Should be temp compensated value. Mine does 14.8 at 80F and a bit higher when it is colder. 15.7 for E but I have seen 16.2 when just above freezing. (14.8 at 80F is like 15.2 at 35F)

I like that you can set it at 4 amps and start the E flashing and it will bring the battery up to its idea of full, staying at 14.8 while amps taper from 4.1 down to 0.7ish, then all by itself it jumps into E at 15.7, does that for hours as required until amps taper again then shuts off and says Full.

So you don't have to be there and wait till the battery is full before starting an E, and you don't have to watch it like you do with normal manual equalizing so it won't go too high in voltage before you shut it off.

Mex thinks that is useless ๐Ÿ™‚ I think it is wonderful. Can let it happen overnight. With 6s and T-1275s that gets their SG right up. (Not with my 27s though--that takes more runs at it)
Photo in Profile

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
has anyone checked what voltages this unit uses charging? i just checked mine for giggles before a equalize and its running at 15.1v? in second stage , at about 40-50F

MrWizard
fans up top go on suck/blow out mode

fans down low/bottom set for blow in mode
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
A friend has loaned me an ancient 4 amp charger. I've put it on and will check tomorrow morning to see what the results are.

We are in a winter storm warning so it would be good to get this "done".
Regards, Don

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
My fan was buzzing. I found that its case was vibrating against where it was mounted inside. I took it out with the wires for it coming out and installed a new fan off a broken converter, but externally. Silent running ever since.

I did not know if it should suck or blow. First time I used it, the charger got hot and quit. I reversed the fan and now was ok. ( Sorry can't remember which way was the right one! )
Photo in Profile

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
are you guys buying any kind of special fan? mine is starting to go as well, and my fathers is completely dead

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
i have (2) vector chargers, a 25amp and a 40amp
i have replaced the fan in the 40amp, but beside that, they have been flawless

My 40 has been flawless as well since I replaced the fan.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

MrWizard
i have (2) vector chargers, a 25amp and a 40amp
i have replaced the fan in the 40amp, but beside that, they have been flawless
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I can count on the BD vector up and until I plan to use it - used very little because it always finds a reason to throw a F code ...works ok as a maintainer but for that there are far cheaper ways to go...Optimate by design WILL typically recover a discharged battery so over the long haul the $120 entry fee is easily offset IMO....