cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar charging issue

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys I just installed The Kid charger with a 325-watt panel 24v panel into my RV. I finished the install, followed the directions, turned it all on, and boom everything seems to be working great. It was raining, but enough sun that the charger was making around 3-4 amps at 12 volts per the charger controller.

Here's my issues. I installed a Bogart Trimetic battery meter a couple weeks ago. The meter properly shows negative amp draw when turning lights on and what not and positive when hooked onto shore power and charging (so appears to be working properly). However the trimetic meter did not show any input from the charger at all. It did reflect higher voltage that the charger was putting out on bulk.

Is the Kid not functioning properly? How can I verify the amps output at the battery to ensure the Kid is charging? Thanks.
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245
10 REPLIES 10

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Welp, I changed the negative to the proper post on the shunt and success. Thanks guys I was hoping it was an easy and it was even easier than I anticipated!!!

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Understood.
You are under-paneling this (quite expensive) controller. 30A MPPT can handle 460-500W.

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
I would had stayed as well, but that set up went with my 5er when I sold it. I opted for the mppt charger and stayed with a single large panel for install simplicity. The panel was on deep sale so all said and done it was about the same as multiple panels with the sc2030

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œthe charger was making around 3-4 amps at 12 volts per the charger controller.โ€

12 volts? Are you sure? Should be 13+
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would've stayed with SC-2030 and installed 2*180W or 2*200W @12V.

But hey, whatever makes man happy ๐Ÿ˜‰

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
clotus wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
The neg wire output from the solar controller has to go to the Trimetric shunt same as all the other negatives, for the Tri to "read" that. It sounds like you have that wire going to the neg battery post and not via the shunt.

I think you are absolutely right!!! Why didn't I think of that. I will re-wire it tomorrow and see if that fixed it.

My last install used the trimetic meter along with their solar charger (SC-2030) and I had the cables directly on the batter, but because they communicated it probably worked properly despite not being wiring properly.

I just finished installing a similar set up and he is correct.

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
The neg wire output from the solar controller has to go to the Trimetric shunt same as all the other negatives, for the Tri to "read" that. It sounds like you have that wire going to the neg battery post and not via the shunt.

I think you are absolutely right!!! Why didn't I think of that. I will re-wire it tomorrow and see if that fixed it.

My last install used the trimetic meter along with their solar charger (SC-2030) and I had the cables directly on the batter, but because they communicated it probably worked properly despite not being wiring properly.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

You will find the output amps as shown on the controller display can be higher than what is on the Tri, when the battery is nearly full and you have a light on, eg. The battery might be accepting 3 amps and the controller says 6 amps, which means the light is using 3 amps.
The Tri only shows what is actually going into the battery.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hand draw a diagram.
Battery
Converter
Power to 12 bolt fuse panel

WHERE does panel controller hook to the rig's electrical system?

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
Is your battery at 100%. If it is the solar charger will turn itself off. Let your battery get down to 80% and then check amp display. It should be charging.

Linc