cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing 2006 Vue - Equinox or Edge

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly our 2006 Vue is getting a bit tired and worn out. Time to replace it.

Anyone towing a Chevy Equinox or Ford Edge and would you recommend it or not? Thanks for any info we may lack. Both seem to fit our bill but want to hear from owners. THANKS
9 REPLIES 9

ViewOfAKindArt_
Explorer
Explorer
Fordpower!

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
Our 2012 is a wonderful vehicle whether we tow it or not. It is the 4 cylinder and we have never experienced the steering ghost.

2012 What?

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We had two Edges as toads. Very good for us. We had charging line added.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:

Some say a bungee cord on the steering wheel fixes the problem, but I don't understand how. Electric steering on the 4 cylinder models has no hard connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels.

This is incorrect. The Equinox like all vehicles has a steering shaft that runs from the steering wheel to the rack & pinion unit which is then connected to the front wheels.

Thanks for clarifying that Larry.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2012 is a wonderful vehicle whether we tow it or not. It is the 4 cylinder and we have never experienced the steering ghost.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 Ford Edge that we have been towing for nine years with no issues. On the older models like ours there is no special prep needed, just put in neutral, release the parking brake and turn the ignition key all the way to the left. We like the Edge so much that we also bought a 2013 for our daily driver.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

Some say a bungee cord on the steering wheel fixes the problem, but I don't understand how. Electric steering on the 4 cylinder models has no hard connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels.

This is incorrect. The Equinox like all vehicles has a steering shaft that runs from the steering wheel to the rack & pinion unit which is then connected to the front wheels. It doesn't matter if it is electric ASSIST or hydraulic ASSIST. The reason the 4 cylinder models exhibit bump steer (correct engineering term) is when the electric assist is not powered it does not provide dampening to the steering to prevent overcorrection. 6 cylinder models have hydraulic assist to the steering and provide constant dampening force to prevent overcorrection (bump steer) all the time, key on or not. Thus a bungee cord through the steering wheel provides a constant centering force on the steering helping dampen bump steer forces on 4 cylinder models.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Edge is my daily driver for over a year now. The wife and I both love it.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I just set up my Equinox for towing. I haven't towed it yet.

Do a search on the death wobble issue with Equinox. Chevy has changed their fuse pulling recommendation from fuse #32 to some other fuse (#16 I think) to leave the electric steering active with the key on.

After studying up, I got a used 2014 Equinox and wired the coach to supply 12 volts to the toad. I won't be pulling any fuses.

BTW, the Equinox, GMC Terrain and Buick Envision are basically the same car.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox