cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a maiden voyage

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
Now in Pahrump Nevada it has been several problems some caused by the wind like our slide awning unrolling while driving. Compounded by the wind giving us bronchitis when you are sick as we have been it makes all problems worse. We pulled into the Pahrump nugget going to look for a park later (we were so sick we did not see we were a few hundred yards from preferred R V resort frankly I did not feel like getting out of bed to move that far. The new problem is the bedroom 110 volt wall plugs do not work unless the generator is turned on or plugged into shore power there is GFI under the dining table the GFI in the bathroom other wall and microwave work on generator shore power and with the inverter on. The GFI under the table does not need to be reset just start the generator and those plugs are alright the inverter is 110 volts so I am stumped why with 110 volts from the inverter the plugs do not work
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
8 REPLIES 8

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said it is probably the design of the coach. In mine for example the inverter runs the refrigerator, entertainment system, one additional outlet in the kitchen and one outlet at the passenger seat. Remember with out shore or generator power you are running off of your batteries. Too many outlets in use will deplete them quickly.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Just a caution- Your bronchitis might be valley fever... when the wind kicks up in that area and all the way down to Quartzsite cases of Valley Fever increase. It put my DW out of commission for nearly 3 months one year (persistent cough, aches and tired).

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
devildog1971 wrote:
Now in Pahrump Nevada it has been several problems some caused by the wind like our slide awning unrolling while driving. Compounded by the wind giving us bronchitis when you are sick as we have been it makes all problems worse. We pulled into the Pahrump nugget going to look for a park later (we were so sick we did not see we were a few hundred yards from preferred R V resort frankly I did not feel like getting out of bed to move that far. The new problem is the bedroom 110 volt wall plugs do not work unless the generator is turned on or plugged into shore power there is GFI under the dining table the GFI in the bathroom other wall and microwave work on generator shore power and with the inverter on. The GFI under the table does not need to be reset just start the generator and those plugs are alright the inverter is 110 volts so I am stumped why with 110 volts from the inverter the plugs do not work

Don't have a clue as to what your coach is, but as others have said, not all rigs have whole house inverter outlets, so that needs to be decided, before any troubleshooting is done.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of coaches are wired so the bedroom outlets only work with the generator running or plugged into shore power. I was told at the factory the reason for this was the controls for electric blankets and some other devices would be ruined if run on a MSW invertor. You can determine if your rig is wired this way by referring to your wiring diagram.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you mention maiden voyage, I would suspect that the coach is wired that way and you don't have an problem but checking the inverter for a tripped breaker is a good first step. Many coaches are wired such that only the "most necessary" plugs are live when using the inverter. That would be convection/microwave, TV, kitchen outlet(s) and maybe one side of the coach wall plugs but not both.
I don't see the year or model of your coach listed in your post but that information might get you a direct answer from another owner.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did the 110 outlets work without generator/shore power before your trip?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“The new problem is the bedroom 110 volt wall plugs do not work unless the generator is turned on or plugged into shore power”

That is normal unless your inverter is wired to power all 120 uoutlets...unusual. Wind in the West is not unusual. “They call the wind...Maria.”
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
2 possibilities

1. One of the circuit breakers on the inverter itself is tripped. There are buttons on the inverter itself to reset..

2. (and this was my case in my last coach)...not all outlets are going through the inverter. In that case, it is the way it is...when my inverter was on and I was not hooked up to power or generator, the bedroom outlets by the bed would not work and I had to run an ext cord for my CPAP machine. to the bathroom.

That last coach was Holiday Rambler and there were a few outlets not hooked up to the inverter.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)