cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Tow Vehicle Question

cyclerider52
Explorer
Explorer
I want to start towing my 2010 Jeep Wrangler behind my 32' RV. I own a tow dolly and was wanting to use it but I keep getting conflicting information about being able to use the dolly. Any suggestions on how to make this happen. Thanks in advance for your help.
9 REPLIES 9

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
You cannot use a tow dolly on a 4WD vehicle. You will damage the transfer case. You cant have one end stationary and the other end spinning.

:h
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
You cannot use a tow dolly on a 4WD vehicle. You will damage the transfer case. You cant have one end stationary and the other end spinning.

Only on full time 4WD or AWD vehicles.

A Jeep Wrangler is part time 4WD. Front differential is physically disconnected in 2WD and Neutral.

EDIT: I suppose one could argue that the transfer case could somehow randomly slip into 4WD, explode the case or driveshafts, and/or jump off the dolly.

That seems far fetched to me, they don't jump into 4wd while you are driving down the road and most shifters have detents to prevent this.

But if that worries you, do a tow bar. Although if the case slips into gear then you could still ruin stuff.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
parker.rowe wrote:
1995brave wrote:
A tow dolly is for front wheel drive cars. Your Jeep is either 4 wheel drive or two wheel drive(drive shaft and rear wheels driven). You need either to trailer it or use a tow bar.

I can't think of a reason you couldn't use a tow dolly over a tow bar if you already own one.

Just put the transfer case and trans in neutral and roll on.

What am I missing?

It is all going to depend on the transmission and transfer case if it can be towed on a dolly or not. Some transmissions will not pump oil through the drive shaft connection. Some transfer cases require the front drive train to turn for oiling. Best to check the Jeep manual you got with the Jeep.

The np231 (older jeeps) and nv241 (jk jeeps like the OP) transfer cases both have pumps on the main shaft, so it should work the same wether on a dolly or not.

I've definitely seen a np231 run for a 1200 miles or so with the case and trans both in neutral in a 93 jeep wrangler.

That year has an axle disconnect so the front driveshaft doesn't turn unless it is in 4wd.

Either way consulting the manual is never a bad idea!
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
parker.rowe wrote:
1995brave wrote:
A tow dolly is for front wheel drive cars. Your Jeep is either 4 wheel drive or two wheel drive(drive shaft and rear wheels driven). You need either to trailer it or use a tow bar.

I can't think of a reason you couldn't use a tow dolly over a tow bar if you already own one.

What am I missing?

It is all going to depend on the transmission and transfer case if it can be towed on a dolly or not. Some transmissions will not pump oil through the drive shaft connection. Some transfer cases require the front drive train to turn for oiling. Best to check the Jeep manual you got with the Jeep.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Have you contacted Crysler or had a chance to read the owner's manual? What do they say. They should have the final word.

cyclerider52 wrote:
Thanks guys, that seems to be the two opinions I am getting. I was hoping to use the dolly but not sure about the outcome.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

cyclerider52
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, that seems to be the two opinions I am getting. I was hoping to use the dolly but not sure about the outcome.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:

What am I missing?
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad