cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Day night shades

big_jim_2
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody besides me tired of restringing shades? I am looking for a different kind of shade that won't break. I don't care if they have the day feature as after 15 years we find we rarely use that feature. It seems that every year we are fixing one of the seven in our motorhome.
19 REPLIES 19

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
In 14 years Iโ€™ve restrung 2, when I did I added plastic grommets to the openings in the metal that the line goes through, and rubs against (stupid design). My shades are typically down in the day mode.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

carmichael
Explorer
Explorer
Removed shades and had short curtains made of ultrasuede (which is totally light blocking). Now they can be pulled over all the window or a portion can be left open for breezes. We left top wooden valance but removed side valance so they stack nicely when opened without covering any portion of window. No holes for light to seep thru and the very best part is they can be easily removed to be washed in machine (which they do very nicely)so we are not traveling the next year with the dust that got embedded from Arizona snowbirding. I never could figure out how to get the shades totally clean. One extra bonus is that the material curtain also functions to give a sound deafening effect to the inside and adds a layer of coziness. It has been a win-win all the way around.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Once I got rid of the "strings" in favor of 65 pound test braided fishing line, all the fraying and breaking stopped.

Good tip!
Will use that if I need to replace them. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our day/nite shades (4) quite a few years ago. Just a PITA....we never seemed to get it right...strings dept breaking. After the 4th time, took them down, went to a local "Blinds to Go" and they fixed us up with plastic mini-blinds for around $130. (Like I said,,,years ago, around 2002, 2003).
Wonderful. Never break and look good.

VCBandit
Explorer
Explorer
Been there done that. We replaced ours with MCD shades 4 years ago and we love them!! No problems and work every time. A little pricey but well worth the money.
Terry and Kim Streit
2002 Itasca Horizon (El Gordo)
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Paco)
Life is Good

rockhillmanor wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
My last fiver had strings that were bad.. I was just going threw the steps of learning how to restring when I traded it in..

My current fiver has

day/night rollers

.. I will not have blinds in an RV again after having these!

Never heard or seen this type.
Where do you find day/night rollers? Is there another name to search for them? Tks

Forgive me for calling them what they may not be known as..... each window has 2 rollers... 1 is a screen for day ... 1 is black out for night .. day night rollers... thats what I call them.. Perhaps MCDโ€™s???? Whatever you call them I love them
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Once I got rid of the "strings" in favor of 65 pound test braided fishing line, all the fraying and breaking stopped.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
I've been dabbling in looking at MCD roller shades . . .

My experience with MCD roller shades . . .

I installed 7 MCD manual roller shades in 2011/12. After 7 years . . .
- one of the shades has to be clamped down to stay down
- three of the shades have to be "helped" to roll up

BTW, they're a couple of threads on IRV2 about failing electric motors on the MCD motorized shades.

I've performed several adjustments per the MCD manual, but they still malfunction.

I wish I had my original strung shades.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
My last fiver had strings that were bad.. I was just going threw the steps of learning how to restring when I traded it in..

My current fiver has

day/night rollers

.. I will not have blinds in an RV again after having these!

Never heard or seen this type.
Where do you find day/night rollers? Is there another name to search for them? Tks

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours are 17 yrs old and we have never restrung them. We travel with them up also. Or, maybe it's the quality of the string used.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
The vinyl ones rattled too much so went back with a high quality cloth and still have trouble, the bottom comes loose on one or 2.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced 90% of our shades with vinyl mini blinds. They can be open, closed, tilted to block incoming sunlight while still being able to see out!
The only
Ones not replaced yet are in the bedroom, on the list.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you are restringing your shades every year you are 'making the strings too tight' when you install them.

I have had day/night shades on all of my MH's. 20 years combined And I have only had to restring one of them. And that was because I dropped something on the bottom plastic screw and broke it.

And I'm a flipper of day/night shades all day long everyday. I use them a lot. My strings are not real tight.

Check how tight your strings are next time you repair them. Loosen them up a bit and they won't keep breaking. :C

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We replaced all of ours with cordless cellular shades which are custom cut at Menards (sorry if you are not in the area but there are similar setups from Home depot and others). Installation is just removing the old and screwing to brackets into place.
We bought blackouts for the bedroom and it is totally dark with no light from all the holes in the old D/N shades. All the others are cream colored and let light through during the day but there is no view in or out. We have been very happy.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?