cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinette Bed

Fparsons
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I bought a 2011 Joayco Swift 184BH. It has bunks on one end and a dinette bed on the other. I would like to know if anyone has made their dinette into a full time bed?
We would like to but do not know the type of modifications could be made. Also, what do you use for a table on raining/cold times when we'd want to eat inside?
7 REPLIES 7

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Nice, but that should be a Guinness on there.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Our camper has no dinette. The original floor plan came with a sofa instead of a dinette. While it came with a "portable" table, it was too heavy and awkward to be practical so we came up with a better solution. I made a gate-leg table that can be used in any of three configurations:

With both leaves down, the table is only about 6" wide. It takes up very little space and serves as a nice side table.

With one leaf up, it makes a small desk.

With both leaves up, it is large enough to set for dinner.

As I said, I designed and built this table, but they are available commercially. If interested you can find several choices marketed by Ikea and perhaps other sources.

campinia
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new 2011 Jayco 184BH and owned it for two years. We used the table and made it into a bed with the cushions as designed and then bought a 3 inch memory foam topper from Walmart and left the bed made up most of the time. On the rare occasions that we ate inside, we sat at the couch with folding TV tables. I did cut a plywood piece to put in place of the table, and that worked ok, but, we found that occasionally we wanted to set up the table and make the dinette again. By using the table and the memory foam topper, we could roll that up and place it in the top bunk and still have a dinette table to use. We never put the plywood back in.
2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT 2500HD Z71 4X4 6.0 Gasser
2018 Keystone Passport Ultra Light 175BH
Champion 3100W Inverter Generator
2018 Pescador Pro 10 Fishing Kayak
2018 Old Town Topwater 106 Fishing Kayak

Las_Vegas_Proud
Explorer
Explorer
Our dinette makes into a full size queen bed. A standard queen sheet fits it just perfect. We never set up our dinette table and just use it as a lounge area to watch tv since that is where the tv mount is.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many dinettes are too small for adults. They are really designed for kids.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I would just take off the bunk cushions and put a solid support, like 1/2" plywood all the way across. Get a memory foam mattress close to the right size and cut it to fit. You could upholster the backs of the dinette seats for a headboard and footboard if you wanted to.

I would also get a drawer put under the dinette seat on the side not blocked by the kitchen. And you would have the space in the middle for tubs, large items, etc. You would lose easy access to the space under the dinette seat that is blocked by the kitchen.

If you use a memory foam mattress, you need the support to have holes in it for air flow, or use some stuff called HyVent under the mattress. Otherwise you body moisture will condense under the mattress and can cause mold.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Fparsons wrote:
Also, what do you use for a table on raining/cold times when we'd want to eat inside?

When downsizing a few years ago from out triple bunk bed K-Z Spree we intentionally chose a 19' couple's model with no dinette, just a slide sofa, reasoning that we eat outside more often than inside and would therefore get more use from a sofa. For those times we do want to eat inside we just set a couple of folding TV tables at the sofa. This works particularly well as they each weigh but a few pounds, are easy to handle, and take up no space at all to store. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380