cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gooseneck to 5th wheel adapters

Passage0ftime
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a truck with a B&W roll over ball gooseneck hitch. My intention was to simply attach a new set of rails to mount my 5th wheel, but the shop told me that it could not be done without completely removing the B&W hitch first. They sold me a Curt adapter plate that has a center post compatible with the B&W hitch that provided rails as well. I have a Rockwood 2650WS with a Reese Revolution pin box.

Along with the adapter plate I purchased a fairly simple Curt hitch (not a slider) Now I read on a Reese site that the revolution is not compatible with B&W gooseneck adapter plates. (Specified B&W adapter)

Has anyone used one of these adapter plates with a revolution pin box?

Hope there are no rules about posting the URL. Cant manage to get the image to load

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/16310
"The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time" - James Taylor
Sweet Baby James said it all in this line. It's not money, it's not things, it is savoring every moment God has given you on this earth, and all those you hold dear as family and friends.
11 REPLIES 11

Passage0ftime
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Passage0ftime wrote:
I purchased a truck with a B&W turn over ball ...the shop told me that it could not be done without completely removing the B&W hitch first. They sold me a Curt adapter plate ....I have a Rockwood 2650WS with a Reese Revolution pin box.

Along with the adapter plate I purchased a fairly simple Curt hitch (not a slider) Now I read on a Reese site that the revolution is not compatible with B&W gooseneck adapter plates.

I think you went to a shop that either isn't familiar with B&W hitches or they simply carry other brands and wanted to sell you what they had.

You should have been able to purchase a B&W 5th wheel companion that would have worked just fine with the gooseneck in your truck and hte Reese Revolution pin box on your 5er.

The other option is to replace your pin box with a Reese Goose Box. This is a Lipert frame approved and will let you connect your 5er directly to the gooseneck ball without a 5th wheel hitch.

KJ

The set up he is describing will work. I purchased the new TV (new to me) that had a B&W roll over gooseneck hitch ball. The Curt X-5 adapter plate drops right in and a simple 5th wheel hitch, no slider sits right into the standard rails on the adapter. BUT here is the other side. I also have the Revolution pin box. I called the folks at Reese and spoke with them about this. It will work fine, but you need to disable the "Revolution" option, you do NOT have to buy a new pin box. The locking plate that holds the kingpin from moving must be removed. Then take the two spare bolts that were used when the trailer was shipped. They should be directly under the attachment point to the trailer. Not hard to see. Two big 21 mm bolts if I recall. They are obvious as they do not connect any two parts together, just bolted into plate to keep if you need to disable the rear pivot point. Use them to lock the pin box from rotating up at the top end of the pin box. What you end up with is a free moving kingpin at the the wheel plate and solid, immobile anchor to the trailer. You lose the rotation function of the revolution, but much cheaper than buying a new pin box.
Sweet Baby James said it all in this line. It's not money, it's not things, it is savoring every moment God has given you on this earth, and all those you hold dear as family and friends.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Andersen Ultimate. Get the steel version though.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:

There have been some issues with Goosenecks and frame damage to RV's. If you decide to use the Gooseneck, check with the manufacturer of your camper and ask them. IF they approve a Gooseneck, get it in writing.

OP is not using a GN extension. The Curt adapter converts a square ball mount to a fifth wheel hitch rail system. Then a standard fifth wheel hitch can be used.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Passage0ftime wrote:
Thanks all for the feedback. Called Reese customer support and they were very helpful. They strongly recommended bolting the pinbox back to act as a standard pin box rather than a revolution due to the weight of the trailer sitting behind the attachment point and the leverage that creates on trailer frame and hitch point.

There have been some issues with Goosenecks and frame damage to RV's. If you decide to use the Gooseneck, check with the manufacturer of your camper and ask them. IF they approve a Gooseneck, get it in writing.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Passage0ftime
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Dayle1 wrote:

I'm no expert on this, but I thought the Companion was incompatable with the Revolution? The lockout wedge used with the Revolution puts too much twisting force on the single mounting point for the Companion. B & W required additional bolts at the 4 corners too handle the extra stress.

Hmm, I wasn't aware there are issues with that pin box and certain 5er hitches. Guess I assumed the situation was simpler than it is.

KJ

Dayle is correct, but all you need to do is remove the lockout wedge on the revolution, bolt the revolution in a standard pin box configuration (this is how they are shipped actually) and you can use it with the B&W roll over ball. Do need a fifth wheel adapter and head in the gooseneck slot though. Got this from Reese tech support. Super helpful folks!

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Dayle1 wrote:

I'm no expert on this, but I thought the Companion was incompatable with the Revolution? The lockout wedge used with the Revolution puts too much twisting force on the single mounting point for the Companion. B & W required additional bolts at the 4 corners too handle the extra stress.

Hmm, I wasn't aware there are issues with that pin box and certain 5er hitches. Guess I assumed the situation was simpler than it is.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
billyray50 wrote:
I had a B+W turnover ball hitch installed in my new truck. Looking at the Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch myself due to owning a Truck camper too. Might want to research this hitch.

I just got the combination you described for my truck.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Passage0ftime
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the feedback. Called Reese customer support and they were very helpful. They strongly recommended bolting the pinbox back to act as a standard pin box rather than a revolution due to the weight of the trailer sitting behind the attachment point and the leverage that creates on trailer frame and hitch point.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
I had a B+W turnover ball hitch installed in my new truck. Looking at the Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch myself due to owning a Truck camper too. Might want to research this hitch.

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:

You should have been able to purchase a B&W 5th wheel companion that would have worked just fine with the gooseneck in your truck and hte Reese Revolution pin box on your 5er.

KJ

I'm no expert on this, but I thought the Companion was incompatiable with the Revolution? The lockout wedge used with the Revolution puts too much twisting force on the single mounting point for the Companion. B & W required additional bolts at the 4 corners too handle the extra stress.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Passage0ftime wrote:
I purchased a truck with a B&W turn over ball ...the shop told me that it could not be done without completely removing the B&W hitch first. They sold me a Curt adapter plate ....I have a Rockwood 2650WS with a Reese Revolution pin box.

Along with the adapter plate I purchased a fairly simple Curt hitch (not a slider) Now I read on a Reese site that the revolution is not compatible with B&W gooseneck adapter plates.

I think you went to a shop that either isn't familiar with B&W hitches or they simply carry other brands and wanted to sell you what they had.

The other option is to replace your pin box with a Reese Goose Box. This is a Lipert frame approved and will let you connect your 5er directly to the gooseneck ball without a 5th wheel hitch.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!