cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CUTTING A HOLE IN TT DOOR? {{{{{UPDATES}}}}}}

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
hey, have a TT that has no window in the door just a peep hole. want to install a window and have to cut out a hole in the door for the window. i did get a used slim shade window w/ shade by AP products. any tips or do's and don't from anyone that did this before, before i start this project??? really hate to screw the door up.....i was thinking of using a jig saw with a metal blade to make the cut unless better ideas. thanks.
44 REPLIES 44

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
joelyn wrote:

.... really never use the shade part. the window is pretty dark so no one can see in anyway plus u have to go outside and open the screen door just to get to the shade to pull down, but looked good when i bought it....

Almost sounds like you installed the window backwards. Is it harder to see out than see in?

Seems about the same looking either way. All The screws are on the inside of the door around the frame and the black smooth frame finish is on the outside. not sure if u can install in backwards unless someone would have the screw side out...

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:

.... really never use the shade part. the window is pretty dark so no one can see in anyway plus u have to go outside and open the screen door just to get to the shade to pull down, but looked good when i bought it....

Almost sounds like you installed the window backwards. Is it harder to see out than see in?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
This is an old thread but for anyone wanting to decide to cut the opening, a Dremel tool will work if you use a 1" fiberglass cutoff wheel. These make really thin cuts, don't create much heat and you can make curved cuts. I use these cutoff wheels for body restoration on a couple of cars I have. A utility knife with a sharp blade might also work well as the door skins aren't much thicker than a beer can.

I love that tall window. I wish our standard type window had clear or tinted glass to let more light in.

Good info, and I have one but never thought of using it, went with the jigsaw. Thanks

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is an old thread but for anyone wanting to decide to cut the opening, a Dremel tool will work if you use a 1" fiberglass cutoff wheel. These make really thin cuts, don't create much heat and you can make curved cuts. I use these cutoff wheels for body restoration on a couple of cars I have. A utility knife with a sharp blade might also work well as the door skins aren't much thicker than a beer can.

I love that tall window. I wish our standard type window had clear or tinted glass to let more light in.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
MtnBikeMarty wrote:
I installed a window in the door of my Majestic (Cruise America) 27G, that did not have a window.

Here's the link to the post on the board for those who bought former rental units.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26035008/gotomsg/29854131.cfm#29854131

MtnBikeMarty

nice job, I installed the exact same window with the shade. Yes it was pretty easy as long as u take ur time cutting.... really never use the shade part. the window is pretty dark so no one can see in anyway plus u have to go outside and open the screen door just to get to the shade to pull down, but looked good when i bought it. thanks for sharing.

MtnBikeMarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a window in the door of my Majestic (Cruise America) 27G, that did not have a window.

Here's the link to the post on the board for those who bought former rental units.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26035008/gotomsg/29854131.cfm#29854131

MtnBikeMarty

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
wish i had the guts to do that!!!!

LOL, It took asking lots of questions here and around and watching some videos before i got up the nerve to do it. But once i started it turned out pretty easy and not as bad as I thought... biggest thing was to get the template that i made straight on the door and to stay on the line while cutting..Big relief when the window fit right in the hole :B

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
wish i had the guts to do that!!!!

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
Nice work on that door and window.

thank u

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice work on that door and window.

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:
thedoghouse wrote:
Did same mod couple years back . My door had a small window so I wanted full length and just cut out like you did. GREAT JOB

Nice job also, not sure if i ever saw a full length one like that. I like it.

I actually got idea from the Open Range. Many have full windows
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
thedoghouse wrote:
Did same mod couple years back . My door had a small window so I wanted full length and just cut out like you did. GREAT JOB

Nice job also, not sure if i ever saw a full length one like that. I like it.

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice & clean. Wish my projects came out that good.
Moose