Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What to Buy in US (Everett WA) Before Crossing into Canada
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> What to Buy in US (Everett WA) Before Crossing into Canada

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
trnewtown

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/18 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am renting an RV in Everett WA and taking a one way month long trip to Anchorage starting mid April. I have a few questions:

- My starting point (Everett) has a Costco and a Walmart. Are there any things that I should not buy in the US before crossing the border into Canada? For example, eggs, chicken, produce, ...

- I know that mid April is a bit early for this trip. What should I expect in terms of weather, closed campgrounds, and available gas?

- Before I drop off the RV in Anchorage, I will need to get rid of unused food, camping supplies, a marine battery, and other misc stuff. Could you recommend a charity or non-profit in Anchorage that could use these things?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/18 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your nearly two months early. Almost everything will still be closed. Buy as much food as your going to need. Just as an example you might search for traffic cams in Prince George and see what it looks like.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

trnewtown

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/18 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that heading out in April is a bit early, but at least there won't be much traffic. [emoticon]

My ability to boondock will be hampered by the amount of propane needed for the generator. I plan on buying a marine battery for some smaller power needs, but will still need to plug in at least every four days.

Ava

Vancouver Island. BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/18 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we cross the border back into Canada(or going to the US) fresh fruits, eggs, rice, are things not allowed. Check the Canadian Border Service web site to see what else is restricted in the way of food.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/18 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy your basic sundries of canned goods, and packaged meal mixes. Plenty of opportunities to purchase fresh in BC as needed, you never know what won't be allowed back into the States till you get to that border crossing. We did have our staple of frozen chile and I had marinated cooked and frozen chicken tenders which were good for salad topping or sandwiches. We did have a couple open bottles of liquor and one unopened 750ml which is more than allowed but as we were through traveling to AK and didn't know anyone in CA which we planned to visit customs agent let it slide, though I was willing to pay any duty. Oh, don't carry more than $10,000 cash with you and that's on our side.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

trnewtown

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/18 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stick dog - I don't plan on carrying more than $10K cash with me. I probably need to carry some US and Canadian cash with me for this trip. Will not assume that every place takes credit cards.

Ava - Rice is not allowed? Who knew? Will check the Canadian Border Service site.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/18 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not try to take meat, chicken, eggs, vegetables or fruit across board.
Suggest getting most food after you cross. Depending on which crossing and route, stores area available in Canada.
I would suggest getting Canadian dollars at ATMs and not try to find bank to exchange.
Use your credit or debit card for most purchases. Check with your bank to see if they have a Canadian affiliate. Ours does so we pay no foreign fees or ATM fees. We get a kick back on fuel with our credit card, not ATM.

What border crossing are you planning on using? Main I-5 crossing can be a long wait. WSDOT has variable message signs that show crossing times. WA 539 or WA 9 at Sumas. Grocery store across border in Abbotsford or Chilliwack.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/18 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trnewtown wrote:

Stick dog - I don't plan on carrying more than $10K cash with me. I probably need to carry some US and Canadian cash with me for this trip. Will not assume that every place takes credit cards.

Ava - Rice is not allowed? Who knew? Will check the Canadian Border Service site.

We have yet to find a place that will not take Visa or Discover cards

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/18 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The processed foods are allowed in Canada, home grown chicken is not, nor is the home grown beef.

If you bought it at Cosco it is good to go to Canada, the Canadians come down and buy their food here everyday.

The better place to shop is Cosco at Burlington or at Bellingham they are both easier to get to than the Everett ones.

Burlington at the George Hopper interchange is the best. It is right by the exit.
The Cosco at Bellingham is just off the Guide Meridian Way, easy on and off.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/18 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll need less that 100.00 in Canadian cash, most places will give cash back on your CC

Do every thing on your CC, allow the CC company make the exchange rate conversion.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> What to Buy in US (Everett WA) Before Crossing into Canada
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS