Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What to Buy in US (Everett WA) Before Crossing into Canada
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> What to Buy in US (Everett WA) Before Crossing into Canada

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/18 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see nothing open in Dawson in the way of a truck stop. I see a Canadian Tire...go there. The washrooms will be in-store and open. Get some water jugs and some rubber hose...fill them in the washroom...tell staff you are in trouble, etc and will clean up a wet floor.

Toss some RV antifreeze down the sink and toilet...get some into the tanks...right?

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

trnewtown

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/18 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up two 10 liter water jugs from Walmart, where I am spending the night. Canadian Tire is next door. I will dump one of the jugs into the RV and see if I can get a refill.
It’s pretty sunny and warm right now, but I have some RV antifreeze and will put some in the sinks and toilet before dark.

trnewtown

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/18 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like I need to get a marine battery and inverter for this trip. Planning to stop at an RV campground every third night to recharge. Any thoughts on the size of marine battery and/or inverter I will need?

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/18 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are you intent on powering, and for how long?

The house battery in the motorhome gets charged by the engine as you drive. It may have sufficient capacity for whatever you're looking to run without needing another battery, and without requiring you to use the generator.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/18 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a single battery, a group 24 or 27 should be adequate. Most marine batteries are not true deep cycle which you should have.
What are your plans for an "inverter"? You need a converter to change 120 volts to 12 volts DC. An inverter changes 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

trnewtown

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/18 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking to power a bi-pap machine at night. So far I’ve managed to scrounge cheap/free electricity by plugging into outlets meant for engine heaters - with the necessary approvals of course. The generator in this rental is as lowd as a lawnmower and expensive to run.
I’m in Watson Lake Yukon right now heading north. I try to make sure I use the bi-pap machine at least every other night.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/18 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you're already north! Fun times. Made that trip twice the same spring and it was awesome.
To dispel some rumors, don't know identify got the rubber glove at the border or not, but when it comes to food, fill the fridge and drive. Gazillions of people head north from here to camp. You fill the fridge and go. They're only concerned with booze and smokes quantities really.
For everyone else, stock up on everything you can in the US. Only things cheaper in Canada are hockey equipment and health insurance! Seriously.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

trnewtown

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/18 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am currently in Fairbanks and tried to make reservations for Denali National Park for tomorrow. I was told that the park (buses/campgrounds) were closed until May 11th. Is it still worth doing a Denali drive by?

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/18 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More then just drive by!
You can take your vehicle into the park for a ways. You can go in about 15 miles. there is much to see even going just that far.

trnewtown

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/18 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s good news!! I really didn’t have a good plan b if Denali was completely closed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> What to Buy in US (Everett WA) Before Crossing into Canada
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS