cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric scooter instead of Toad?

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
We've decided we aren't going to have a tow vehicle, but I was thinking there are probably a few times where it will be handy to have something better than a bicycle to get around on. Has anybody bought an electric scooter or similar to get around locally on? It doesn't have to be a full sized motorcycle, some sort of 1-person device is fine. Any suggestions?
18 REPLIES 18

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I am 82 now and have used a 3-wheel Pride Go-Go "Elite Traveler" mobility scooter for years. It disassembles into 4 pieces and goes into the cargo bay of our Class C or behind the rear seat our Subaru Outback. There are many other relatively compact and disassemble-able electric scooter vehicles that will get you to the camp store or walking your dog around the camp on smooth roads. The weight and your ability to lift scooter parts are important. Bicycles, folding type or otherwise are another idea. We have never felt a need for a towed vehicle, it all has to do with your style of camping/touring.

Here's some vehicles that were advertised on TV yesterday, the EW-19 model looks interesting , comes apart for stowage:

https://www.ewheelsdealers.com/3wheelscooters

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Comparing an ebike or small electric scooter to a toad is like apples to oranges. Two totally different vehicles for two totally different purposes. How many people take their toad for a leisurely tour of the campground or to the shower house? A small two wheel vehicle is ideal for this. Need a bag of ice from the local camp store? Throw it in the basket and enjoy the ride. Need some heavy grocery shopping done, take the toad.
Besides, even though it is pedal assist, I still get more exercise than sitting in a toad.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anybody bought an electric scooter or similar to get around locally on? It doesn't have to be a full sized motorcycle, some sort of 1-person device is fine. Any suggestions?

I'm getting the feeling you have no experience at all riding a 2 wheels motor vehicle ?
If that's the case, you need to treat riding a 20mph electric scooter the same as a full size MC.
You need to take a rider safety course, then make a decision if you want to go forward.
I would think you can rent a machine while taking a course. Money well spent ! 😉

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
As I see it, an electric-assist bike or scooter, or even a gasoline-powered scooter or small motorcycle is meeting a small portion of a much bigger need. I think they are a great enhancement to a tiny motor home (like a class "B") that you would normally get around in all the time. But if you have a standard class B+/C or class A motorhome, seeking an alternative to breaking camp daily, then a tow vehicle is really your only practical solution.

Our class B+ SEEN HERE IN DETAIL is on the small side of "standard" at 23'-8" long and we have a tow vehicle. We used to tow a 2-seat sports car (a 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder) but changed to a 4x4 Jeep Liberty because the MR2 was unable to handle severely primitive roads to remote trail heads and other sight-seeing excursions. There are many times we miss the MR2, but the Liberty is the all-encompassing solution. The bonus with the Liberty is having a place to carry extra, from golf clubs to bicycles.

I had my reservations when first contemplated towing another vehicle. But doing so for 14 years now, it has become second-nature. I am happy to do it for the benefits and conveniences it provides. Towing is not all roses, but for me and my wife, the benefits far out-weigh it's complexities.

hoverboardlover
Explorer
Explorer
For those first and last-mile travels, an electric scooter is a helpful, snappy, and eco-accommodating approach to get around. The miniature portability development is an expanding zone for development. Officials, administrators, and purchasers around the globe are understanding the advantages of electric scooters for grown-ups can bring to metropolitan transportation development. With a huge range available and a huge gape in quality finding a solid and helpful electric scooter for adults can be precarious. For this purpose ***Link Removed*** we provide guidelines on electric scooters that are helpful for you when you purchasing them.

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Photomike wrote:
Because of my health I had to give up riding my regular bike but I did not want to give up bikes completely so I bought an electric assist bike.

LOVE IT!!!!

Now it is not going to be good to run down the highway an hour or two but for moving around a campground, heading to a store nearby, or short exploring trips it is amazing!!!

You can still peddle to get some exercise and to increase your range but if you need help getting home or getting up a hill it is GREAT!!

I keep the bike on the back of the MH and charge up the battery at night so it is ready for the next day. Use an inverter if you want to charge while driving.

Nice!! We are ready to purchase one for her to take along with me riding my bike. My friend swears by this model:https://espinbikes.com/product/espin-flow-white/

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Totally depends on your anticipated usage. If you want to tour the local community or country, yes a toad. If you want to park and have a convenience to maneuver about the park, a scooter would be in order.
My DW is a severe Asthmatic and in the evenings we enjoy a stroll around the campground. This became a problem for her so we bought a
Little Scooter. Sure came in handy to scoot about the campground to go to the shower house, camp store or whatever. After a couple of years we up graded to a larger tire scooterLike ThisThat either of up could ride. Still have it and love. If something happened to it would buy another in a heart beat.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
nosebreaker wrote:
Any suggestions?

I am seriously looking at Segseat.

http://www.segseat.com/AboutUs.html

OR Segsaddle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2alzdh_LnXU

Tim

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Because of my health I had to give up riding my regular bike but I did not want to give up bikes completely so I bought an electric assist bike.

LOVE IT!!!!

Now it is not going to be good to run down the highway an hour or two but for moving around a campground, heading to a store nearby, or short exploring trips it is amazing!!!

You can still peddle to get some exercise and to increase your range but if you need help getting home or getting up a hill it is GREAT!!

I keep the bike on the back of the MH and charge up the battery at night so it is ready for the next day. Use an inverter if you want to charge while driving.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
We bought two electric assist bicycles to use this year. We use them more for fun and riding on trails and they are great bikes but they have a limit of 20 - 40 miles. We still use the truck most of the time because it has no limits.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Take a good look at electric assist bicycles. They may be a better all-around solution for you.

Gary

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO it all depends on your style of RVing. We go on trips and use the toad to explore the area surrounding the campground, sometimes a hundred miles or more. The toad works perfectly for us, scooters would be useless.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
We had City Bug scooters. Fun when you're at a horse show, but not so fun when it's cold and raining and the battery runs out of juice. We're going to tow our AMC/Jeep CJ-5. It has a hard top and the heat works great, if needed.
Fred
Retired Army Guy
2005 Monaco LaPalma 37PST
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve thought of this but when I defined the exact situation where I would need it and the probability of that situation occurring it was not worth the trouble of hauling, maintaining, insuring it. In the 4 years I have been RVing there has never been a time when It would have solved a problem.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds