cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart / Generator???

nagel
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a 2 week road trip this summer and will be stopping in some Walmarts for a quick overnight stay. Being summer our concern is heat and would love to bring our generator to power the AC in our Travel Trailer. Our concern is the noise from the generator...is this good etiquette?

We have a larger generator we use for emergency home service that is probably a little louder than the smaller portable units that may or may not power our AC.

Thoughts?
Steven R. Nagel
67 REPLIES 67

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
colliehauler wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
After driving all day a cheap RV park along the hwy gives me power, internet and a hot shower. I hope to never stop at a wallmart or truck stop for the few bucks I have no worries or need to carry my generator.
Now that I'm retired I'm not in a hurry and stop early enough in the day to utilize a cheap RV park as well, besides they need the money. I travel of a summer and enjoy A/C and the quite. I usually only plug in. I can understand people who just need a few hours of sleep using Wallyworld, box stores, rest areas, truck stops.

I agree with Grit dog on a lot of small towns around here will have a nice quiet area for a overnight some even for free or a minimal charge usually a 3 day limit.

Granted, we donโ€™t travel a lot compared to most of the folks on here. Weโ€™re not retireded yet, kids in school still. But we wally dock, rest area, city campground, boondock, NF campground, friends driveway or $50/night rv Park. Depends on the day, the trip and the situation.
Fwiw Iโ€™d camp in the hotel parking lot for kids hockey and soccer tournerys if the wife would let me. But them kids smell way too bad too many times a day at those events to make the navy camper shower a great option! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
On the other side of this I use RVreview (or whatever it s called now) Google and a phone call. All of our trips yearly across the US are preplanned and we have stayed in many of the same parks each year but we do add some also. If you look to where you want to end up at the end of the day (our day ends around 5:00 or so deepening how far I care to drive. We stay hooked up relax, do dinner and then read a book for a couple hours. I know the park from Google looking overhead, no surprises. We leave normally at 5 in the morning, we are on the road in 15 minutes. Works for us and as said helps the locals out with a few bucks they are there for us overnighters.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
After driving all day a cheap RV park along the hwy gives me power, internet and a hot shower. I hope to never stop at a wallmart or truck stop for the few bucks I have no worries or need to carry my generator.
Now that I'm retired I'm not in a hurry and stop early enough in the day to utilize a cheap RV park as well, besides they need the money. I travel of a summer and enjoy A/C and the quite. I usually only plug in. I can understand people who just need a few hours of sleep using Wallyworld, box stores, rest areas, truck stops.

I agree with Grit dog on a lot of small towns around here will have a nice quiet area for a overnight some even for free or a minimal charge usually a 3 day limit.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Veebyes wrote:
It is a shame when rules need to be made to enforce what should be common courtesy.

No, there are no rules at Walmart, or anywhere else where people stop for a bit of shut eye. Most TTs, 5ers & TCs don't have built in gennys. If you have a genny that you intend to use go park away from those not likely to have gennys. Park near others that do & are likely to use them.

Simple courtesy.

WEll Said!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
After driving all day a cheap RV park along the hwy gives me power, internet and a hot shower.

I'm sure I've said it before in the thread (and the many others like it) but I stop at Walmarts for a couple of reasons:
  • We stop late, 11pm or later
  • I don't want to navigate a small/unknown park in the dark
  • I really don't want to intrude on my neighbors at such a late hour

Walmart is the ideal solution for me.

I either can run off of battery or generator for power.

I always carry my own internet anyway; I can't remember the last time I used campground internet.

And I can get a hot shower in my rig, even without a generator.

The cost is almost the last of my considerations.

http://learntorv.com/wallydocking/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Fwiw, when we stop for a quick night, usually can find a little city or county park in most areas that is quiet and sometimes free but always cheap.

In my experience, this is far from true in the northeast. I know of one city park campground in Vermont, and it's not especially inexpensive (though convenient and on a nice beach), and no town ones offhand. There are plenty of parks that close overnight or do not permit camping.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a shame when rules need to be made to enforce what should be common courtesy.

No, there are no rules at Walmart, or anywhere else where people stop for a bit of shut eye. Most TTs, 5ers & TCs don't have built in gennys. If you have a genny that you intend to use go park away from those not likely to have gennys. Park near others that do & are likely to use them.

Simple courtesy.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
My generator is a pleasant purr. Yours is irritating, even though we have the same model. Your dog barks too much. Mine issues sensible warnings when someone approaches. You love your music and want to share it while I prefer silence. I will move on after demanding a refund on my rent if I don't like the current Walmart Astoria. You can too.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
azrving wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Just park in the generator section and let it rip. Otherwise you need to verify with the store manager what is acceptable. Portable stuff setting out might be a no-no.

Not for me. I love off-grid camping but if I need cool air all night I am looking for hookups.

Walmart has a generator section?

Some do. It's usually located across the parking lot from the Big Rig section, around the corner from the section designated for the diehard freeloaders.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fwiw, when we stop for a quick night, usually can find a little city or county park in most areas that is quiet and sometimes free but always cheap.
If you pull into the Wally World and there's a rv with a big loud generator, embrace it. Pull up next to them and roll yer cord out and plug in to it! It's dark and loud so easy to go unnoticed....free power!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
TomG2 wrote:
Lantley wrote:

If your parked and sleeping while Wally Docking,and you don't have a genset running. I don't think you want me to park beside you and fire up my genset.

I don't own or control Walmart parking lots. Do you? Then park wherever you want. They don't owe me peace and quiet. When I pay for a quiet spot, I get a quiet spot. I have been blasted out of bed by the roar of motorcycles at midnight. I don't condemn motorcyclists or their choice of transportation. Some people on here seem to think that Walmart owes them bathrooms, convenient shopping, for other security cameras, designated parking areas, and the absence of "contractor" generators. I aif I were camping around othersm respectful of others and would never fire up a generator where it would bother others. Not everyone feels that way.

Courtesy and etiquette have nothing to do with WalMart.
I don't need a law or rule to show courtesy. I agree with you" I am respectful of others and would never fire up a generator where it would bother others". Furthermore I would never use a contractor generator if camping around others period. I'm not looking for others to set my courtesy standards
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

If your parked and sleeping while Wally Docking,and you don't have a genset running. I don't think you want me to park beside you and fire up my genset.

I don't own or control Walmart parking lots. Do you? Then park wherever you want. They don't owe me peace and quiet. When I pay for a quiet spot, I get a quiet spot. I have been blasted out of bed by the roar of motorcycles at midnight. I don't condemn motorcyclists or their choice of transportation. Some people on here seem to think that Walmart owes them bathrooms, convenient shopping, security cameras, designated parking areas, and the absence of "contractor" generators. I am respectful of others and would never fire up a generator where it would bother others. Not everyone feels that way.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
azrving wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Just park in the generator section and let it rip. Otherwise you need to verify with the store manager what is acceptable. Portable stuff setting out might be a no-no.

Not for me. I love off-grid camping but if I need cool air all night I am looking for hookups.

Walmart has a generator section?
Right so park in the opposite corner if you are the only one with a generator.
And don't complain when that diesel pulls up running the generator spewing diesel fumes right at you.