cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class C, OWNERS ONLY PLEASE American or Foreign Chasses

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Haven only driven mostly American cars and trucks and a few years with a BMW (foreign model) I'm a bit concerned even looking at any foreign chasses in Class C. It's nothing to do with gas mileage. If something should go wrong I would like to be able to take care of it myself. My other point would be taking the vehicle RV to a dealership, Then the thought of some roadside ship lifting the hood to make a major repair, your thought's, please?
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?
54 REPLIES 54

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Ford based units have ceased too exist in Class C and the several Class A's that were sold .

You must mean that Ford based units have ceased to exist in Australia?

Of course Ford E450s are being used for Class C motorhomes built here in the U.S. To verify ... check the Coach House, Lazy Dazy, and Winnebago websites.

For us personally, we would no way risk taking a Sprinter 3500 based rig to some of the Western U.S. places where we go exploring and camping when out collecting rocks/minerals.

They have ceased too exist.and that includes the Transit. Now IVECO Daily , better GVWR and GCWR than the E450. Mercedes Sprinter used by mainly rentals and Renault Master , Fiat Ducato for smaller Class C’s
Bigger Class C’s use a light Japanese Truck as the chassis. 19,000lb GVWR 28000lb GCVWR

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ctilsie242 wrote:
Not a current owner, but here are my two centavos:

I like the Ford E-350/E-450 chassis. It isn't the cheapest, nor is it the latest tech. It guzzles fuel (6-10MPG for a typical class "C" compared to 18-20 MPG for a Sprinter V6.) However, it has been around so long that almost all the bugs are gone, and it works extremely well. The V-10 is hard to kill, and if I do destroy it, $5000 + labor gets me a new one from a crate. Its electronics don't go haywire if you look at it wrong, and if it does die, there are many, many Ford places that can fix those.

It is an extremely modifiable engine. If I want a turbo so I don't have as much power loss on grades, that is doable. In fact, there is a local mechanic shop that has done many supercharger upgrades on E-350-E-450 based class "C"s (just so the rig doesn't lose steam in Colorado, Oregon, or other places), and the breakage rate is quite low. One thing I will get, should I get a class "C", is a second alternator/voltage regulator, so I have 200-280 amps right to the house batteries, allowing me to run the roof A/C while on the road, or have A/C in areas where generator operation is banned.

The cost difference between an E-350/E-450 and a Sprinter can buy a ton of fuel.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and other people's have things equally as valid. Take it for what you will...

Well stated comments regarding "good old American iron" under a U.S. built Class C motorhome.

Our rig exploits E450 V10 advantages to the limit because it's an overkill chassis for our 24 foot 11,800 lb. Class C. For instance, just a few days ago I had it's brake pads checked ... the original front brake pads have ~71K miles and 12 years on them ... and they still have 80% left!

We get 9-10 MPG and it climbs like a goat with our small Class C on it's back. We've traveled with it fully loaded up to 11,300 ft. in Colorado and on highways in the Eastern Wyoming high country and in both situations we were able to climb up grades right along with the little SUVs, diesel pusher Class As, and diesel pulled TTs/5'ers. Also because it's a small unit, when traveling in scorching temperatures the great Ford dash air conditioning can keep the whole coach area cool without having to run the roof air using the built-in Onan generator. When drycamping in noise sensitive situations, we sometimes idle the V10 a bit to dump up to 80 amps into the coach batteries ... from it's stock 130 amp alternator. The V10 is very quiet and vibration-free when idling - which is why Ford E-Series emergency service vans can park at incident sites with their engines idling for extended periods without harming the V10 or irritating people around it. Unless it's changed in the newest versions, I don't believe that extended idling of the Sprinter diesel engines should be done - even if their idling noise level turns out to be whisper quiet like the V10.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Not a current owner, but here are my two centavos:

I like the Ford E-350/E-450 chassis. It isn't the cheapest, nor is it the latest tech. It guzzles fuel (6-10MPG for a typical class "C" compared to 18-20 MPG for a Sprinter V6.) However, it has been around so long that almost all the bugs are gone, and it works extremely well. The V-10 is hard to kill, and if I do destroy it, $5000 + labor gets me a new one from a crate. Its electronics don't go haywire if you look at it wrong, and if it does die, there are many, many Ford places that can fix those.

It is an extremely modifiable engine. If I want a turbo so I don't have as much power loss on grades, that is doable. In fact, there is a local mechanic shop that has done many supercharger upgrades on E-350-E-450 based class "C"s (just so the rig doesn't lose steam in Colorado, Oregon, or other places), and the breakage rate is quite low. One thing I will get, should I get a class "C", is a second alternator/voltage regulator, so I have 200-280 amps right to the house batteries, allowing me to run the roof A/C while on the road, or have A/C in areas where generator operation is banned.

The cost difference between an E-350/E-450 and a Sprinter can buy a ton of fuel.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and other people's have things equally as valid. Take it for what you will...

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
I would go American. I own a 2004 Sprinter for a work van, and it breaks down no less than 12 times per year. The Ford van I had before it never left me (or anyone else) stranded. The only reason I keep that Sprinter around is the fuel economy, as it turns 60-80,000 miles per year on the odometer, so 25 mpg hwy vs 15 mpg hwy is a huge consideration. 1500-2000 less gallons of fuel per year can buy a lot of parts on a pre-emissions Sprinter, and if it is broken down within 600 miles or so of the house, I will drive out there personally with my old Chevy truck and my spare parts stash, hook up my Chinese knock-off MB Starscan emulator (iCarsoft MBII), figure out the issue through live stream data, and replace the par, right on the shoulder of the interstate.

Heck, if one of you have a 2002-2006 Sprinter chassis MH and are having troubles in Southern NM, hit me up. I'll diagnose it for you, and possibly even toss a good used part on it for cheap to get you home (I disassembled a 2006 Sprinter with a bad piston for parts).
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
Ford based units have ceased too exist in Class C and the several Class A's that were sold .

You must mean that Ford based units have ceased to exist in Australia?

Of course Ford E450s are being used for Class C motorhomes built here in the U.S. To verify ... check the Coach House, Lazy Dazy, and Winnebago websites.

For us personally, we would no way risk taking a Sprinter 3500 based rig to some of the Western U.S. places where we go exploring and camping when out collecting rocks/minerals.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ghiotom wrote:
I've had 3 class C motorhomes, two on the Ford E chassis and one Sprinter, and the Sprinter is a much more comfortable ride than the Ford. Yeah, it's more complex because of the pollution controls, but all new diesels have that including the diesel fueled Transits. The possible repair bills will be higher, but that's more of a gas vs. diesel thing rather than MB vs. Ford/Chevy.

True but the Sprinter and IVECO
Based units are the way to go.Ford based units have ceased too exist in Class C and the several Class A's that were sold . US is the second biggest market outside of Germany for Sprinters

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Songbirds wrote:
Haven only driven mostly American cars and trucks and a few years with a BMW (foreign model) I'm a bit concerned even looking at any foreign chasses in Class C. It's nothing to do with gas mileage. If something should go wrong I would like to be able to take care of it myself. My other point would be taking the vehicle RV to a dealership, Then the thought of some roadside ship lifting the hood to make a major repair, your thought's, please?

Been working on German cars for years. 15 years ago I found a nice (read money saving) surprise called Worldpac. (no affiliation) They have worldwide distribution centers and websites (online dealers) where you can buy OEM factory parts for most Eurocars and American makes at substantially reduced prices over the new car dealers. They have saved me $10,000's. Each website is independently owned and prices vary slightly, but they all sell the same OE quality parts groups. (some junk so beware)

Try www.autohausaz.com for a sample experience. Go through the order que and check out their prices and availability. It's really nice and you can still get your order (if over +-$50.00) in a few days freight included no tax. They don't have everything the dealers do but it's a good start for common wear items.

Chum lee

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don ... right on regarding Lazy Daze!

I really like their "classic" non-EU-style interior designs, large FW tank size, exclusive use of the E450 chassis for all models, solid and reliable coach construction, low exterior height, aluminum coach exterior walls and roof, and their overall "what a Class C should be and do" philosophy!

Their only negatives, IMHO, are:

1. Use of wood wall framing instead of aluminum and/or steel.

2. Dents in the one-piece aluminum roof from hail stones.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
D.E.Bishop,

I love lazydaze class c units. They are also factory direct.

http://www.lazydaze.com/index.htm

They have no slides. Perfect for my cold weather.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Phoenix Cruiser is one of the buy direct from the manufacturer RVs. No dealers anywhere, only POM.

I happen to be smitten by the PC and discouraged by it's cost. I know you get what you pay for but they are expensive and you will see very few used for sale.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
My Ford chassis is four-wheel-drive too ..........

All 4 of the rear wheels are driven.

Yeah ... that's the next best thing to have next to 6X4. 😉

I sure wish our E450 Class C had a limited slip rear differential so all four rear tires were driven when I need it most.

I doubt it would even be available, in speaking with driveline shops over the years they’ve all said the same thing, putting a locking diff. on anything heavy is a waste of time. The first time it engages under load is the LAST time it engages.

Even with a careful driver, all it takes is a little slip say pulling off the shoulder and back on to the road and you have a high torque high speed lock up that hand grenades the locker.

As you say though, with all that weight you maxed out your potential traction as it is.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Even with dually wheels, it's usually referred to as 2x4 (or 4x4, if the front wheels are driven), as the "by" specs are for axle ends, not physical wheels. I know, things are not consistent.

The weight generally does help keep some traction on a class C, at least compared to some other vehicle types. It also, I would think, makes things rather more difficult if everything breaks loose at once. I have no desire to find out how my motorhome behaves on ice or similar surfaces.

Some years and models of the E series chassis have a drive shaft mounted parking/emergency brake, bolted on the back of the transmission, rather than ones actuating the wheel brakes as is more commonly done. For those years, it's obviously fruitless to try the trick of applying the parking brake lightly to force both wheels to turn. (It's also absolutely essential to securely chock the diagonally opposite wheel before jacking up one side of the rear axle, of course; once one wheel loses traction by being lifted off the ground, the parking brake has no holding power at all.)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:

All 4 of the rear wheels are driven.

Yeah ... that's the next best thing to have next to 6X4. 😉

I sure wish our E450 Class C had a limited slip rear differential so all four rear tires were driven when I need it most. I even crawled under it once to check the numbers on the differential to see if I hadn't lucked out with a locker when we bought the motorhome, new, off the dealer's lot ... but no such luck.

I wound up with the usual - only one rear dual set at a time being powered when things get slippery. My only Saving Grace is the tremenduous weight on those two dually sets. Maybe that weight will help force the differential to keep applying torque to both rear axles whenever it can't break either dually set free in moderately slippery situations.

My one big hangup with Class C rigs that have been converted to 6X4 is the raising of the overall height of the motorhome. All six tires driven is the ultimate in traction - but raising the CG of an already tall Class C is not good.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
One thing going for the newer Sprinter chassis under a Class C is - I believe that they can be ordered from Mercedes in a 4WD configuration - nice! :C

All 4 of the rear wheels are driven. :B