cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is the average lifespan of a rooftop A/C unit?

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
Our bedroom A/C has stopped blowing cold air, just blows room temperature. Motorhome is a 2012 and we've full-timed for 6 years so we've used it the whole time. Thanks in advance.
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II
34 REPLIES 34

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our two air still working 2003 motor home. Spend 6 months every year in AS. Took cover off and a mud wasp was the cause.
Replaced the compasatore. Cheap fix.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Opps. wrong thread
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
Before replacing the unit, try replacing the start capacitor first. Better yet get a soft start kit for greater longevity. I have had to do this on mine and a couple of others and still running many years later. Previous poster said PPL motor Homes had a breakdown of parts. If you can't find it there take picture so you hook it up right and take them to an rv dealer for replacement parts.
Blessings; kdk
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Adding to my earlier post, my 94 Bounder has Coleman units.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Both our units lost their charge. I was informed by a prior poster that an increase in failures coincided with the introduction of new high pressure refrigerants meant to replace R-22. Not sure if this is true, but for a fact both of my units โ€œblew their chargeโ€ due to failures in the refrigerant piping.

The new units came with 2 year warranties. I was told by my rv mechanic these rooftop units are basically throw away units: more economical to replace than repair.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 Fleetwood. Coleman.

Replaced PTCR in the front at five years.

Fans failed two weeks apart at 10 years.

Front unit died last summer and the rear isnโ€™t cooling very good so I am replacing it soon before summer.

We camp in Florida so they run a lot.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
Anyone else notice a trend here? Older units working great, newer units being replaced. Pretty much indicative of where the industry is going. You could probably draw a line in time where Dometic took over the roof top AC industry.

Just for giggles, include your AC mfg. Mine are Duotherm.
I see the same trend, mine are 23 years old Duotherms also and work fine. I think there are two other factors that may determine the lifespan. One is how often you use it, in 14 years other than two long term stays in Canada when I first retired I don't think I used them more than a dozen times. The second is how often do you stay at RV parks that have low voltage when the AC is running, I think this may be a bigger factor. 95 % of the time I dry camp. When people on here have to replace a unit is it always because the tubes are leaking? Or is it a compressor or something else that goes?

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
John & Steph.....We had a 2005 Diplomat and the rear A/C quit at about the five year mark, probably due to lack of use. It was a heat pump model and was actually blowing warm when turned on. This was indicative of a faulty reversing valve which is replaceable on a Dometic unit. I replaced the valve, problem solved.

The front A/C quit about a year later. Being cheap, I decided to replace both A/C capacitors before replacing the unit. Depending on the brand/model, PPL Motors Parts has a parts breakdown of several A/C brands by model number. I ordered the two capacitors, replaced them and the unit fired right up.

I often do a cost analysis regarding the replacement of a part I THINK is bad, versus having it repaired or replaced. If cheap enough, I just replace the part.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
In Western Washington where I live? Appx. 400 years. ๐Ÿ˜ž
That's funny right there.

My 15yo Dometic is still going strong.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on the make and when it was made. For example my 2005 Carriers, both of 'em, have been replaced.. Turns out they had a manufacturing and design issue.

By the way I recommend Coleman as a repalcement if that is needed (With one or two exceptions it's cheaper to replace ';em) The reaons is colemans "Suck" that is pull air in through the condenser and exhaust it out the sides.. Everyone else "Blows" (the other way around) THis makes cleaning Cotton wood Cotton and other "Crud" off the condenser way way easier on the Coleman.

THe two exceptios where it's cheaper to fix than replace:
Clogged condenser (See above) it does need occaionsal cleaning
2: Bad start capicator.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Two 25-year-old Dometics still working fine.
-jbh-

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 Dometic ran fine until sold in 2013. New 2013 Dometic lasted 1 1/2 years--replacement lasted 8 months but was only run 4 of those months. I'm sure China has nothing to do with the last 2 quick failures. Next replacement was an old Elkhart made Dometic unit that had been on the shelf since before Chinese manufacturing started--running strong when shut down last fall. I watch voltage levels--don't think that was an issue for me with the 2 failures. More likely that leaking evaporator was the problem.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it lasts more than the first 6 months, I suspect being connected to bad power is the likely culprit on most failures.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
They were working fine on our prior coach when we sold it , 14 years old.
Our new coach has had all 3 roof units replaced in the first 4 years.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard