cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why Are There Inside Rear View Mirrors In Class C's

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried searching for this but can't seem to find an answer. I suppose they allow you to see whats going on inside the coach. I wonder if Ford gets the glass with the mount already attached so they just go ahead and install one.
30 REPLIES 30

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
tatest wrote:
If the mirror gets in your way, it can be slipped off the mounting puck, and the puck removed using acetone (maybe nail polish remover).

The mirror usually mounts on a ball mount at the top of the mirror. If you spin the mirror upside down and then swivel it up as high as it will go it is much higher up out of your field of vision and gives you better field of view down the back.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards have the mirrors put on when the chassis is manufactured (it starts out as a van). Thus even U-Hauls will have the mirrors, although there is nothing there to see.

Whether or not the mirror is useful in a Class C RV depends on the design of the house. I can see what's going on with my passengers, and back to the kitchen, and what doors might be swinging. If it is all clear through the house, I can see my towed vehicle in the wide-angle lens on my rear window.

If the mirror gets in your way, it can be slipped off the mounting puck, and the puck removed using acetone (maybe nail polish remover).
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I can check the panel switches for the water pump and water heater. Woo Hoo!!
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
So DW can put on her make up while driving!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hank85713 wrote:
Gotta have someplace to mount that video camera that you have other than on the dash. I guess the manufs were just ahead of the game??

Another problem not having a rear view mirror presents is no place to hang the park pass that you are suppose to display when in the park :h
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Like others said, my RV has a rear window and a fresnel lens. So I can see behind me with my rear mirror. We don't have a backup camera.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta have someplace to mount that video camera that you have other than on the dash. I guess the manufs were just ahead of the game??

I-Can-Am-Can-Yo
Explorer
Explorer
Olddud wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
I also use it to see what just fell on the floor that I left on the counter top.

Gee, that has never happened to me. ha.

Lol this is what I use mine for. Or for helplessly watching the dehumidifier come trucking down the aisle and crash into the doghouse the one time it got loose.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I guess I don't understand the original question.

Our Class C has a window in the rear. I use the rear view mirror in the cab to see out this window to see who or what is behind us. I back into camping spots using the rear view mirror to look out the rear window - just like with a car. I put a stick-on fresnel lens back there to get a good up/down wide angle view - Camping World sells these for the back window on RVs.

Not all Class Cs have an unlimited view down the middle of the coach.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I don't understand the original question.

Our Class C has a window in the rear. I use the rear view mirror in the cab to see out this window to see who or what is behind us. I back into camping spots using the rear view mirror to look out the rear window - just like with a car. I put a stick-on fresnel lens back there to get a good up/down wide angle view - Camping World sells these for the back window on RVs.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
It's just one more thing is this world for you worry about. Shout answer, they come from the factory with em.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure if the RV manufacturers could save a dollar by buying the cab/chassis without the windshield rear view mirror, there would be no Class C units with them installed.

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
I also use it to see what just fell on the floor that I left on the counter top.

Gee, that has never happened to me. ha.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
When my toad is behind me I can see the CB antenna bobbing in the wind. I also use it to see what just fell on the floor that I left on the counter top.